B7100hst leaking coolant @ bell housing gasket

sevengutters

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 16, 2018
Pa.
Hello Folks
I just joined today and bought my first Kubota (1991) B7100hst a few weeks ago.
It has 900 hours on a working meter . I notice some coolant and oily type drips
underneath the tractor @ the bell housing gasket .
I can't see any leaking on at side freeze plugs or any wetness at all in sight . No bubbles in the radiator coolant while running etc.
Are there plugs in back of the engine maybe under the bell housing cover that can't be seen ? Or maybe a head gasket leak at the rear engine etc.
Before I tear anything apart , any advice or tips would be helpful .
Thanks Joe

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'm pretty sure there is a freeze plug on the back of the engine. You would have to separate the tractor, then remove the adapter that is between the block and the bell housing. There you'll see it. A lot of work to get to a $2 part and 2 minutes to install!

sevengutters

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 16, 2018
Pa.
Thanks D2
Looks like I have a job to perform this spring . There's not much info or pics on the D750A engine when its taken out .

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Word of caution:
Pull the plug on the bottom of the bell housing, if there is fluid in there it will destroy the clutch and components.
If that is the case do the repairs sooner than later!

sevengutters

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 16, 2018
Pa.
Word of caution:
Pull the plug on the bottom of the bell housing, if there is fluid in there it will destroy the clutch and components.
If that is the case do the repairs sooner than later!
I pulled the plug and no fluids run out . I can see a little grease , wet possibly . Hard place to see into . I need to seperate the tractor soon to see what is going on.
Thanks for you feedback and help .. This is my first Kubota so I am learning as I go . I have a repair manual so I will give this a shot and keep you guys informed .
I do see now that the b7100 does not have a water pump but a dyno cooling system and needs more attention than some to keep the temp in control .
I have not even used it as of yet but I am expecting a little workhorse as others here have mentioned about theres .

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I do see now that the b7100 does not have a water pump but a dyno cooling system and needs more attention than some to keep the temp in control .
I have not even used it as of yet but I am expecting a little workhorse as others here have mentioned about theres .
You will find that if the radiator is kept clean inside and mainly outside, the thermosyphon system works like a charm. If need be use a little less antifreeze in the sysem, do so - at 30-70% mix gets the best cooling for the ol girl.And yes the B7100 is a beast in all modes.

sevengutters

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 16, 2018
Pa.
I'm pretty sure there is a freeze plug on the back of the engine. You would have to separate the tractor, then remove the adapter that is between the block and the bell housing. There you'll see it. A lot of work to get to a $2 part and 2 minutes to install!

Do I need to pull the whole clutch off and the adaptor plate to get to the potential freeze plug leak problem ? Does the clutch come off in one piece ?
Thanks John

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do I need to pull the whole clutch off and the adaptor plate to get to the potential freeze plug leak problem ? Does the clutch come off in one piece ?
Thanks John
Yes pull the pressure plate and then the flywheel, Note: the flywheel bolt holes will only line up one way, so hand thread all the bolts back in before tightening.
then you can pull the back plate.
There will be 2 plugs one in the head and one in the block.

sevengutters

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 16, 2018
Pa.
Hello Folks
I can't see any leaking on at side freeze plugs or any wetness at all in sight . No bubbles in the radiator coolant while running etc.
Are there plugs in back of the engine maybe under the bell housing cover that can't be seen ? Or maybe a head gasket leak at the rear engine etc.
Thanks Joe
Separated the tractor . Have not removed the clutch yet . Put a pressure test on the system and found antifreeze weeping at the head gasket in the rear . I will remover the clutch to check the condition off the other hidden freeze plug .
There must be a leak behind hidden yet because I am trying to understand the inside of the bell housing and clutch being oily as the pics show . And there was some antifreeze in side the housing . It was not running around the outside .
The oily mess inside is a mystery ?? When I get the clutch removed back to the block I'll report and send some pics of what I found .
Thanks to all for the tips and comments ... Sorry the pics are sideways , I'll get that straight some day .. John

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That's grease isn't it, someone thought pumping the slide tube for the throwout bearing full of grease often was a good Idea, it isn't! :rolleyes:

Take off the flywheel if there is no oil on the back of the flywheel, then it's not leaking.

sevengutters

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 16, 2018
Pa.
Hello Folks
Thanks Joe
That's grease isn't it, someone thought pumping the slide tube for the throwout bearing full of grease often was a good Idea, it isn't! :rolleyes:

Take off the flywheel if there is no oil on the back of the flywheel, then it's not leaking.
Thanks NIW

sevengutters

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 16, 2018
Pa.

Ok to use a regular degreaser or similar on all oily parts including clutch .
Head gasket for the leak or maybe try tightening up bolts first ?
Cant wait to get my machine back together . I never had a chance to use it yet !

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Take the clutch apart before you degrease it.
Use purple cleaner to degrease it, and dry the flywheel and pressure plate to keep them from rusting.

You'll need to do a head gasket change, Tightening it won't do any good. ;)