B7100hst fuel filter

k4me

Equipment
b7100hst (early)
Feb 7, 2010
Erie, CO USA
Yesterday I fired up my new to me but well used 'bota to clear some snow. It was cold, but no colder than a few other times I've used it. I got about 15 feet away from the parking spot before it started acting like it was running out of fuel and losing power. I'd let off the HST pedal to unload the engine, it would start to rev back up but bog down again when I tried to move again. I had put in new fresh fuel last week (laced with Power Service "white bottle") and used it some then, so I figured gelling fuel shouldn't be a problem. I nursed it back to the parking spot and shut it down.

Today I took the fuel filter off, to find YUCK in the bowl! I didn't get a picture of the inside of the bowl, but the filter and SOME of the sediment are shown in the pic I've included. I did not find a small spring to go under the filter element, parts book doesn't show one, but the filter service article on this site talks about it. Can anyone confirm that there is not a spring under an older B7100 fuel filter?

It was getting dark by the time I finished up, so haven't had a chance to fire it up to see if this service fixed the lack of power issue.

Attachments

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
OMG that's your fuel filter? Looks more like a dirty oil scavenge.
Only a suggestion but when you get the chance it would probably be a good idea to clean out the fuel tank and supply line to the filter.

Scott

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
UH brother that doesn't look so good. Either you some how got dirt inside your fuel tank or you've had diesel siting in fuel cans for to long and it started to form a fungus and algae inside the cans.

Greg

Equipment
B7100 HST-D 4x4 with FEL, PTO and 3 pt hitch
Dec 7, 2009
Putnam County, NY
I didn't think it was possible that a fuel filter could get that cruded up. It must have been there for years. Lot's of years.

k4me

Equipment
b7100hst (early)
Feb 7, 2010
Erie, CO USA
I had few minutes today to go play with my tractor. Good news - the bog and power loss are gone! I even manged to get all the lines bled and get it started up on the first try! Thanks for all the info Mr K and Vic!!

As far as the dirty tank and lines someone mentioned - yeah I'm thinking a good cleaning is in order. I don't see a lot of junk through the tank filler, but obviously SOMETHING has gone through it!! Only problem is I just filled the tank before this problem occurred (it was a clean can, and fuel from a busy station, so hopefully fresh), and now I have some fuel I'd rather use than waste.

Anybody know the approximate fuel burn per hour on a b7100?

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I had few minutes today to go play with my tractor. Good news - the bog and power loss are gone! I even manged to get all the lines bled and get it started up on the first try! Thanks for all the info Mr K and Vic!!

As far as the dirty tank and lines someone mentioned - yeah I'm thinking a good cleaning is in order. I don't see a lot of junk through the tank filler, but obviously SOMETHING has gone through it!! Only problem is I just filled the tank before this problem occurred (it was a clean can, and fuel from a busy station, so hopefully fresh), and now I have some fuel I'd rather use than waste.

Anybody know the approximate fuel burn per hour on a b7100?
Hey there k4me,
Just a guess but the previous owner probably did something to allow build up in the tank. The line may look ok but if there is more of it inside the tank then it will keep leaching out.

No doubt the fuel you put in is good, but it is very likely getting contaminated from what I believe is in the tank. Heaven only knows what the previous owner was dumping in there. Worst case it could have been hand me down fuel oil.

If this were my tractor after the current tank of fuel is used I would pull the tank. Either that or stock up on lots of fuel filters :D

I don't know the average fuel burn per hour but for the most part a tank of fuel should last all day.Remember that the fuel burn per hour can be a tough one to judge since the engine is only run up to an RPM for the demand of the load.
If this is becoming an issue then quite possibly if there is enough foreign material in the tank then it is taking up some of the volume.

Scott

digg71

Equipment
B3200 w/ FEL, Box Scraper, Post Hole Auger, 4' Rotary Cutter, Snowblower
Mar 7, 2010
Western N.Y.
I totally agree on pulling tank and thoroughly cleaning it out. I would consider all new fuel line in and out of filter as well. Neither will cost very much.

Jim

Orangefox40

Equipment
B7200HSD_FEL+Blade, 1986
Jan 2, 2010
Haliburton, Ontario, Canada
Hi K4me,
I have a B7200HST and there is no spring, however there are two, I repeat two "O" rings. The large one on top of the filter shell and a very small one on the upper fuel port that the filter sits up against when installed. I recently ran into similar problems and had to change my filter. When all is done and back together you must make sure that the lines are completely bled. The manual shows two bleed screws, one on the filter housing and one on the fuel injection pump. In my case I only have the one on the injection pump as the bleeding system on the housing is a small black rubber vent tube coming off the top of the filter housing and running back to the tank. The bleed screw on the injection pump is a needle valve and I would recemmend disassembly and cleaning. Now this is the important part. These two bleed systems only bleed the lines up to the injector pump. Are you paying attention yet. YOU MUST also bleed the three individual fuel injector lines that run from the injector pump to the injectors, by loosening the upper most nut on the top on each injector. crank the engine to expell the air and allow a good flow of fuel from each injector line, then tighten the nut. If this is not done your Bota will never start. Good luck and yes a new fuel filter made a new tractor of mine.
Ron

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
I don't know Guys, am I screwing up my Kubota cause I never bleed the system. I shut off the fuel take out filter, put new filter in loose, turn fuel on and when filter casing starts to overflow then I finish tightening the filter. Then I jump on the tractor and it fires right up. Both the B7200 and B8200. Am I doing something wrong.:confused::D Dusty

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I don't know Guys, am I screwing up my Kubota cause I never bleed the system. I shut off the fuel take out filter, put new filter in loose, turn fuel on and when filter casing starts to overflow then I finish tightening the filter. Then I jump on the tractor and it fires right up. Both the B7200 and B8200. Am I doing something wrong.:confused::D Dusty
Oh man Dusty, I have a feeling that was a loaded question :rolleyes:

Scott

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Nope it is not a loaded question. I have limited experience with diesel engines. But I have never had a problem changing the fuel filter. For that matter I have run them out of fuel and started them again after refilling. Mind you as soon as I hear a sputter I kill the engine. And yes I am serious, Am I doing something wrong that will hurt my engine. Did I spill serious right.:D Dusty P.S, I am looking for responses.

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Nope it is not a loaded question. I have limited experience with diesel engines. But I have never had a problem changing the fuel filter. For that matter I have run them out of fuel and started them again after refilling. Mind you as soon as I hear a sputter I kill the engine. And yes I am serious, Am I doing something wrong that will hurt my engine. Did I spill serious right.:D Dusty P.S, I am looking for responses.
Hi Dusty, just thinking about it I would say you aren't doing any harm to your tractors because they continue to run with no problems. But who am I :rolleyes:

If I'm not mistaken it's the fuel pressure that causes the injector to open. Thus what's called "fuel cracking pressure". There are gauges to measure this.

Some engines / injectors are very sensitive and depending on the amount of air trapped it prevents the cracking pressure from properly developing. Thus, the injector will not open. If the eninge was running on the amount of fuel ahead of the air it will die when the air get to the injector

All in all, I think you have tractors that are not afraid of gulping the small amount of air. But we do know of others by there posts that they have very sensitive engines that act like the stubbern donkey. They will have to be bled to remove the pressure robbing air that acts like a pillow. It will compress but not at the rate needed to overcome the cracking pressure.

But then I could be wrong :p

Scott

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Thanks for the response Scott. There have been other threads on changing fuel filters and they all seem to involve bleeding the lines. So this time I decided to throw my hat in the ring and see how bad it got stomped on. See how much of an idiot I am by tomorrow night. And I really do want to know if I am hurting the tractor.:D:D:D:D Dusty

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Thanks for the response Scott. There have been other threads on changing fuel filters and they all seem to involve bleeding the lines. So this time I decided to throw my hat in the ring and see how bad it got stomped on. See how much of an idiot I am by tomorrow night. And I really do want to know if I am hurting the tractor.:D:D:D:D Dusty
Thank you Dusty! For the record you are definitely not an idiot, far form it.

However, I can personally relate to the anxiety of getting stomped on a forum.
Been there, done that.

Lastly, you are not hurting your tractor. Some need bleeding and some don't. If it runs without bleeding there is no harm.

Ok, bring on the Blood Thirsty Hounds :cool:

Scott

Last edited:

k4me

Equipment
b7100hst (early)
Feb 7, 2010
Erie, CO USA
Hello Dusty,

I didn't mean to suggest it was a big deal to bleed - all I did was open the two bleed valves on the filter housing, partially screw on the filter then turn on the fuel valve. Once the air bubbles stopped (not very long), I closed the bleed valves and finished tightening the filter canister. Started up just fine. Haven't had too much seat time recently (Darnit!), but the tractor has started and run as expected since then.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
There is no need to bleed injector lines after a filter change. The only time they need to be bleed is if you run it out of fuel. I have changed thousands of filters and have never had to bleed the injectors.:D

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi K4me. I'm sorry if I caused any grief. I remember having to do fuel filters on old 930 & 1030 case tractors and they were horrible. That's why I was so pleased when my little Kubo didn't cause me any problems changing the filter. It seems most posts about changing filters involve bleeding the lines. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't screwin up my tractor.:D Dusty