B7100 with hydraulic spool problems, help need if possibel guys.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Hi everyone and good evening to you all, I am looking for more help I’m afraid so here goes.
I am adding extra hydraulic capacity to my B7100 , I already have the factory fitted hydraulic out from the rear 3pt spool for a single acting item , but, I want to keep it for my soon to be constructed tipping trailer so extra capacity is needed for my other items.

My question is this.
I have recently aquired a double acting single way spool valve made by”dukes fluid power” it’s a 1618AL.
It has the following ports , two ports marked “IN” & “OUT” on the front lower edge of the spool body, Two ports Marked “A” & “B” on the top of the spool body and a single port Marked “PB” on the side of the spool body.
Spec of valve:

DANFOSS FLUID POWER
ENGINEERING TEST ORDER
ETO# 156B2214
(was 1618-AL)
EASLEY OPERATION DATE: 01.06.88 REV CHANGE BY CHKD DATE
BY: AEK A ECO-3631 DJ CT 02.02.90
CHKD: JDK B CF0171 PH 04.06.99

1. TEST CONDITIONS:
1.1. MAXIMUM PRESSURE REQUIRED: 2000 PSI
1.2. MAXIMUM FLOW REQUIRED: 8.5 GPM
6. CHECK SPOOL ACTION:

6.1. SPOOL MUST RETURN TO “NEUTRAL” FROM .19 “OUT” AND .19 “IN” UNDER ALL TEST CONDITIONS.
6.2. WITH SPOOL IN NEUTRAL, OIL MUST FLOW FREELY FROM INLET TO POWER BEYOND.
6.3. WITH BOOM CONNECTED TO PORT “B” AND SPOOL PULLED "OUT", BOOM MUST RAISE. RETURN SPOOL TO “NEUTRAL”, BOOM MUST
HOLD. PUSH SPOOL “IN”, BOOM MUST DROP.
6.4. WITH BOOM CONNECTED TO PORT “A” AND SPOOL PUSHED “IN”, BOOM MUST RAISE. RETURN SPOOL TO NEUTRAL, BOOM MUST HOLD.
PULL SPOOL “OUT”, BOOM MUST DROP.

Now I wanted to use this for the purpose of controlling a dual acting ram for my 3 point hitch top link, and then supplying pressure onto a logsplitter which uses a double acting ram and spool valve.
Nows here is my problem, I assumed that my spool the 1618-AL spool was neutral centre with the flow going straight through and connected it up as follows.
I used the method used by many on older B series tractor , I connected into the pressure line from the pump, took the pressure into the port marked “IN” then took the supply back to the rear 3pt hitch connection from the port marked “out”.
(same method I used on my b6000 with great success to power FEL etc)
I then fitted Q/R fittings to ports “A” & “B” ready for the ram.

Anyway, when I got the spool all the ports were open with 3/8 connectors fitted to the “in” & “OUT” and “PB” , the ports marked “A” &”B” just had plastic covers pushed in.

When I powered the system up there was a lot of squeeking coming from the spool , and appeared to be a lot of backpressure in the pressure line from the pump.
I tried the 3pt hitch which did work, but something doesn’t seem right and the noise is a bit concerning.
I bypassed the spool and removed it for further investigation, all is normal on the tractor now but I need to sort it out for the above useage.

I am no expert on this subject so any input would be really good to help me get it right.
Afterwards I was sent the specs from above which may be of help to assertain how I proceed.

Also I have a diagram which I have attached a pic.
I think that maybe the config is different between the 1618 and the 1618AL , any help guys would be massive.

thanks
rob

Attachments

Last edited:

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
If I understand you right,

"Anyway, when I got the spool all the ports were open with 3/8 connectors fitted to the “in” & “OUT” and “PB” , the ports marked “A” &”B” just had plastic covers pushed in."

The phrase 3/8 connectors means quick disconnects. Is that correct -- if so, I don't think you want to be using Q.D.'s in the "In" and "Out" ports. You don't want to restrict the In and Out flow with Q.D.'s ----- if I got it wrong then just ignore me.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
thanks for the reply, i probably did not make that be quite clear to be honest.
The in & out ports only had 3/8 female couplings fitted, the PB had the same fitting but an elbow fitting and the A&B ports just had plastic dust caps fitted.
I fitted the Q/R fittings to the A&B (work) ports that would go to the ram or similar the others did not have any Q/R's fitted.

It looks as though the PB port was being used along with remaining ports, but it did not work as expected when i set it all up, hence why i think it may be configed differently.
thanks
rob

Swamper

Equipment
B7200HSTD RC60-72H
Nov 24, 2010
Punxsutawney, PA. USA
Hi Rob, The "pb" port means "power beyond". It should be connected to the three point hitch. The "out port" should return to the oil tank. I think the noise that you are hearing is the pressure relief valve squealing. Larry

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
thanks for the reply
to be honest the whole "PB" issue confuses the hell out me, just when i think i clicked with it, it seems to go wrong.
The sitution is this, as on my b6000, i have cut out a section of the high pressure line between the pump and the 3pt hitch.
also as on my b6000 the pressure goes from the pump into the spool then continues to the exsisting connection on the 3pt lift spool under the seat, so i'm still maintain the original loop but have access to the pressure for other use.
the same setup work perfectly to power my FEL on my B6000.
When "PB" comes into the equation it also goes abit pants, i was under the impression that i would be able to use & carry pressure from the "PB" outlet onto a 2 wayram on my logsplitter.
oil is going back to the tank via the spool as its on the pressure line.

will i be unable to work things this way.
rob

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.... I'm going into spool valve meltdown.
could anyone help clear this up for me and suggest a suitable config to carry out the tasks needed using my current setup, its probably clear as day to some of you guys, but, its doing my head in.

rob

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
here what i have in basic terms.
pic
You should have the line from the pump connected to the "IN" port on the new valve, a line from the "PB" port should continue to the original three point hitch valve and a line from the "OUT" should go to the transmission case. ( we usually make a fitting to go into the transmission fill port for this line to connect to) Alternatively you could "TEE" the "OUT" and "PB" lines together and return them to the three point hitch valve, that isn't the RIGHT way but there are thousands of tractors out there hooked up that way and working good! The "A" and "B" ports connect to the cylinder hoses. ( either way will work, reverse them if you want the cylinder to move the opposite way respective of spool direction.

Ed

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Do you want the new valve to control the log splitter ram or does the LS have its own spool valve??

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
thanks for the replies guys, i can see what you are saying ed about the pipe connections , i need to use ports "A" &"B" for the new 3pt hitch hydraulic top adjustment link, but also need to get fluid power to a rear mounted hydraulic logsplitter.
Dave, the logsplitter has its own spool etc so i only need to connect it to a supply and return, hence why i was hoping to run a line out from the "PB" to supply the new spool on the L/splitter.

cheers
rob

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
I'm sore afraid that you will be disappointed with the output of the stock hyd pump if you powering a splitter. there have been many discussions about this issue and the B7100. I think it would be wise to at least review those threads.

tim

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
thanks for the info kytim, the splitter i am getting is not that big, and the manafacturers claim its very good performance on small compacts of 18hp with lower pump flow rates etc than bigger machines.
If it does turn out to be a bit slow , i have nice new pto gearbox & higher output pump attached in a box, i'll just get a oil tank and run it alll as a self contained unit on the back of the B7100.
that maybe a better option alltogether as i could run it off my B6000 that way also.

thanks
rob

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
I've had a thought, i could at worse case use the aux output under the front of seat to power the logsplitter and then run the return line back into the 3pt reservoir.
I allready have a line out with Q/R connector ready to be used for a single acting tipping trailer ram, i could just add a second line back to the sump then, i asume this is ok to run the LS.

rob