B7100 White smoke, black rain

boba4airhead

Equipment
b7100
Mar 22, 2009
Tracy, CA. US
Upon start-up, the old girl is putting out white smoke and "raining" black soot! After she warms up, no soot and clear exhaust.... Any thoughts, ideas, theories? Has anyone else exper. this?

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
You must be more specific about the black rain. Is that literal. If it does blow white and rain black then you are getting antifreeze in the combustion chambers.
Likely a bad head gasket....fix asap.

boba4airhead

Equipment
b7100
Mar 22, 2009
Tracy, CA. US
Thanks for the post. The black rain I was referring to is really more of a mist but it's very obvious and messy on myself and the tractor. I wonder is if I should try to re-torque the head before getting into replacing the head gasket?

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
If the head gasket is to the point of leaking into the engine then the gasket is gone, retorqueing the head might just warp it. Replace the gasket and then you get to see what shape your cylinders are in too.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
That is the exact symptom that my L175 had when I bought it. The coolant leak was so small that is make the exhaust carbon wet and it blew out in a black powdery rain. My cylinder head was cracked in four places.
Hopefully only your gasket is a problem but I would be sure there is moisture in the exhaust.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Great! Thanks. Also, is there a reliable method to test the head to see if it's cracked?
Once the head is off be sure to clean the area in the chambers around the valves. Cracks are normally formed in the valve area and are visible. If you can't see any cracks then magnafluxing is the next level of detection.
Most of the time cracks are visible.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Thanks again for the advice. While I'm in there, is there anything else I should be looking at or checking for?

When water is in the combustion chamber it can also damage the nozzles and spray pattern. While the head is off have the injector nozzles checked for proper pop off pressure and spray patten to make sure fuel delivery is good.

You can also see the cylinder liners and pistons with the head off. Make sure an inspection finds no cracks or scoring in the walls or pistons.

boba4airhead

Equipment
b7100
Mar 22, 2009
Tracy, CA. US
Thanks again for your advice gentlmen. I'll be sure to pay close attention to those areas. I'd like to order some parts, I've used Messicks in the past and was very happy with the service. I'd like to send some buisiness to SERVICE DEPT. VIC. How can I place the order Vic.

boba4airhead

Equipment
b7100
Mar 22, 2009
Tracy, CA. US
Well.......finally pulled the head and had it magna-flux'd. just as you guys suspected, the head is cracked! :mad:
Does anybody have a trusted source for heads?:confused: