B7100 rear liquid ballast question

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
14 gallons per tire

116 lbs per tire when filled with water(8.33 lbs per gallon)
130 lbs per tire when filled with ethylene glycol (9.33 lbs per gallon)(undiluted solution not 50/50 with water)
149.8 lbs per tire when filled with Rim Guard/Calcium Chloride solution(10.7-11 Lbs per gallon)

-20 degree rated windshield wiper solvent is apx the same weight as water

http://www.ballaststar.com/charts.php?chart=chart-hydro-terra.txt

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Is this something the average tractor owner can DIY? Is there any how 2 videos or write ups?
I did a quick google search, and found plenty of info for the do-it-yourselfer. So, you can accomplish it yourself, but it may be wise to at least inquire at a couple of tire shops- they probably buy the fluid at a bulk rate, so you will probably pay less for that, and then if you count your labor, you may find it isn't worth doing yourself.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
I did a quick google search, and found plenty of info for the do-it-yourselfer. So, you can accomplish it yourself, but it may be wise to at least inquire at a couple of tire shops- they probably buy the fluid at a bulk rate, so you will probably pay less for that, and then if you count your labor, you may find it isn't worth doing yourself.
You can buy a fill adaptor kit at TSC for a few bucks, Minus 20 degree rated windshield wiper solution can be purchased for a low as $1.75 per gallon, For the smaller tires it is not a hard task but for larger tires it is easier to have it done, My local tire shop also deals with a lot of the farmers in my area and the shop saves the antifreeze when they change it out on vehicles, They will fill your tires for free if you buy the tires from them and have them mounted, If you buy the tires somewhere else they charge you for filling and mounting if needed, Just a note when dealing with the larger tires is that you will need to be able to get them in and out of your vehicle, If it is a pickup and the loaded tire weight is around 180-200lbs then that can be a task, I usually take my trailer and roll them up the ramp which makes things much easier.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
You can buy a fill adaptor kit at TSC for a few bucks, Minus 20 degree rated windshield wiper solution can be purchased for a low as $1.75 per gallon, For the smaller tires it is not a hard task but for larger tires it is easier to have it done, My local tire shop also deals with a lot of the farmers in my area and the shop saves the antifreeze when they change it out on vehicles, They will fill your tires for free if you buy the tires from them and have them mounted, If you buy the tires somewhere else they charge you for filling and mounting if needed, Just a note when dealing with the larger tires is that you will need to be able to get them in and out of your vehicle, If it is a pickup and the loaded tire weight is around 180-200lbs then that can be a task, I usually take my trailer and roll them up the ramp which makes things much easier.
On my dad's NH 3910, a local tire shop came to the tractor, and filled the tires.

mjac

Equipment
B7100 HST 4WD with FEL
Sep 13, 2011
Florida/Tennessee
Is this something the average tractor owner can DIY? Is there any how 2 videos or write ups?
I used window washing fluid on the tires on my JD 425. They were 23x10.5-12 and took 8 gals each. I used the water/air adapter available at TSC it was about 10 bucks. The job took forever but it was raining that day. So if ya got the time, go for it.
The tires were off the machine. I'll never do that again. It was a wrestling match getting those back on.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
On my dad's NH 3910, a local tire shop came to the tractor, and filled the tires.
Can't argue about that:)

What did they fill them with?

I contacted several places in my area, 2 used calcium chloride, 1 used RimGuard, Both were about the same price at $3.50 per gallon.