B7100 overspeed

Daddio7

Equipment
Kubota B7100, roto tiller, disc harrow, bush hog, moldboard blow
Mar 20, 2019
Florida
I bought B7100 that the owner thought was knocking. We cranked it up and it immediately ran wide open. Moving the throttle lever back and forth did not slow it. After 30 seconds it stopped. I made sure the throttle rod was connected and with the hood open could see the injector pump lever going full open and back to stop. We cranked it again and the same thing happened. The owner said had sounded rough so he parked it. Could it be the governor? Could a competent mechanic fix it?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I bought B7100 that the owner thought was knocking. We cranked it up and it immediately ran wide open. Moving the throttle lever back and forth did not slow it. After 30 seconds it stopped. I made sure the throttle rod was connected and with the hood open could see the injector pump lever going full open and back to stop. We cranked it again and the same thing happened. The owner said had sounded rough so he parked it. Could it be the governor? Could a competent mechanic fix it?
It won't be in the governor (Kubota's have about zero issues with the governors), it's in either the injection pump or the injectors or Fuel (gasoline contaminated diesel will do exactly what you are describing. ;)

Knocking can be gasoline contamination or a bad fuel injector.

And it takes a pretty competent mechanic to rebuild the pump and or injectors.

Last edited:

jdmeth123

Equipment
B7100, roto tiller, brush hog
Apr 6, 2019
Palatka, Florida, America
Was unable to log in as Daddio7 so just created a new account to answer my own post. Had the Kubota dealer look at it and they said it cranked and ran normally. They also said the knock heard by the seller is not the engine but something in the clutch. I had them bring it back and will tackle splitting the tractor myself. The knock is a definite rapping at once per engine revolution. It stays the same whether the tractor is in gear or not.