B7100 is stuck in reverse

sardiscitydad

Equipment
B7100 HSt
Apr 3, 2015
sardis city,Alabama
Hi guys,new here but I was using my B7100 Hst today bush hogging and it has got hung in reverse. It had a little forward right after it happened but now only reverse. it"s like it somehow flipped inside and now she will fly going backwards. Any ideas?
:confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Go to Kubotabooks.com and download the three part service manual, I'm thinking you have had something in the linkage come undone or completely out of adjustment. ;)

Bubbakahuna

Equipment
1978 Kubota B7100
Sep 28, 2020
Dredging up a REALLY old thread because it's the only answer that came up searching for my problem.

Anyone know what retaining clip coming off would make this happen?
My 1978 B7100D is stuck in reverse.
The shifter moves to & fro but not to the side.
In reverse and I can't get it out of reverse, not even into neutral.

Any ideas?

Thanks

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
The previous post was a Hydrostatic drive. The forward or reverse is controlled by a foot pedal. A clip on that linkage had come apart.
Yours is a gear drive. Totally different. Sounds like the end of the shifter down inside the transmission has slipped out of the shifting fork. The top of the transmission will need to come off and the shifting forks and gears put back into the neutral position. Never had a Kubota with this problem but was common on older standard transmission vehicles with stick shift and lots of miles of use. Sometimes a ball shape on the end of the shifter was worn down and it slipped out of the fork. Suggest you get a Workshop Manual before you open up the transmission.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

kubotasam

Equipment
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
The previous post was a Hydrostatic drive. The forward or reverse is controlled by a foot pedal. A clip on that linkage had come apart.
Yours is a gear drive. Totally different. Sounds like the end of the shifter down inside the transmission has slipped out of the shifting fork. The top of the transmission will need to come off and the shifting forks put back into the neutral position. Never had a Kubota with this problem but was common on older standard transmission vehicles with stick shift and lots of miles of use. Sometimes a ball shape on the end of the shifter was worn down and it slipped out of the fork. Suggest you get a Workshop Manual before you open up the transmission.
Her is a picture that shows the end of a shifter and a shifting fork. It is not a Kubota transmission but will give you an idea of what I am trying to show you.
Transmission.jpg

kubotasam

Equipment
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Another picture maybe better. Once again not Kubota but to give
Transmission2.jpg
you an idea of what is inside.

Bubbakahuna

Equipment
1978 Kubota B7100
Sep 28, 2020
Yours is a gear drive. Totally different. Sounds like the end of the shifter down inside the transmission has slipped out of the shifting fork. The top of the transmission will need to come off and the shifting forks and gears put back into the neutral position. Never had a Kubota with this problem but was common on older standard transmission vehicles with stick shift and lots of miles of use. Sometimes a ball shape on the end of the shifter was worn down and it slipped out of the fork. Suggest you get a Workshop Manual before you open up the transmission.
Thanks, I'll have a look at that. I did get a service manual wit the tractor.

Bubbakahuna

Equipment
1978 Kubota B7100
Sep 28, 2020
Another picture maybe better. Once again not Kubota but to give View attachment 51889 you an idea of what is inside.

Solved = at least in my case.

After viewing this diagram I noticed the shifter is sitting in the top fork with a little ball apparently doing all the work of moving everything inside on the top end.
I also remembered the shifter feeling like something 'popped' when I could no longer get it out of reverse.

So - my solution that worked was to pull UP on the shifter and simultaneously move the shifter to different positions, then letting it go back down to see if I could get it back to where I felt it pop.

Sure enough, after about 5 tries I found a spot that letting it down I could feel it pop back in and whadda ya know?! ... I could shift through all the gears again.

I hope this info helps someone else who find themselves not able to shift after feeling a pop on the shifter. Give it a shot, it was 100% free.

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Thanks for posting, I will file this away for mine, just in case.