B7100 Injection Pump Timing

mudog88

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1982 B7100HST-DT, RC60-71H MMM, 5ft. back blade
Aug 11, 2015
Pine Village, Indiana
As the title suggests, I'm curious about the process of adjusting the injection pump timing on my b7100. I have the WSM, and it describes how to check said timing, only saying if it isn't correct, to adjust it. I can't find where it talks about doing that. Here's the reason I want to check it out;

When I start it cold, I get a lot of white "smoke" (smells like raw fuel). Glow plugs may be a tad weak, but they seem to work OK if let them run about 30 seconds. They're on the list of things to check this weekend for verification. After letting it warm up until the coolant temp it about 140-150F, I throttle up to move to where I'm working and the white smoke returns, but in random puffs and fairly faint. I engage the MMM, open the throttle up, and more random puffs of white smoke. After mowing for about 10 minutes, my coolant temp creeps up to about 225F. Radiator is clean inside and out, and the chaff screen is clear as well. I always blow everything out with an air compressor before, during and after mowing because of how sensitive this type of coolant system is to airflow. On top of this, when under a heavy load, I'll get the expected small amount of black smoke, but with additional puffs of white smoke.

It used to be, when mowing, my coolant temps would hang around 195-205F depending on engine load, but that average has been creeping up all season. In the spring, I installed new injectors (from Kubota) and bled the system, new air and fuel filters, flushed and filled the coolant system. I did new injectors so I'd have a spare set if needed. The old ones will get rebuilt and stored in a sealed container for use if needed later. I've read that improper injection pump timing can cause high engine temps and unburnt fuel issues.

Herein lies the question: Does injection pump timing migrate (either retard or advance) as the pump ages? If so, what's the procedure for adjusting?

EDIT: It's an old style B7100HST with ~3000 hours. No big modifications. Mechanical coolant temp gauge.

Thank you for any and all assistance with this.

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
From the WSM:

"(3) If fuel injection timing is improper, adjust with shims to change the position of the injection pump. If injection is too late take off shim. Each shim will cause proceeding of 0.026 rad. (1.5°)."

Reactions: 1 user

mudog88

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 11, 2015
Pine Village, Indiana
From the WSM:

"(3) If fuel injection timing is improper, adjust with shims to change the position of the injection pump. If injection is too late take off shim. Each shim will cause proceeding of 0.026 rad. (1.5°)."
Thank you for that! That's exactly what I was after. My electronic copy may be incomplete. I'll post back after I've checked / adjusted timing with the results.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
One simple thing you might also want to check is valve clearance. If it has never been done in 3000 hours.. .007 to .009
Good Luck

mudog88

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 11, 2015
Pine Village, Indiana
One simple thing you might also want to check is valve clearance. If it has never been done in 3000 hours.. .007 to .009
Good Luck
Thank you for the reminder. Hadn't thought of checking that in a while. I need to add that to my start of season tune-up.

mudog88

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 11, 2015
Pine Village, Indiana
Update...

Adjusted cold valve lash. Cylinders 1 and 2 were a tad snug at ~.006, cylinder 3 was a tad loose at ~.009. All valves are now adjusted to approximately .007

Checked injection pump timing and it seems a bit late to me. I removed the hardline from pump to injector on cylinder 1 and turned the engine over with a ratchet. The moment I saw fuel start moving up at the top of the injection pump, I stopped and took a picture of the flywheel mark through the window. What thoughts are out there on this? I've dealt with distributors and timing lights, and the concept seems similar to this, but I don't have experience with injection pumps.

Attachments

Last edited:

mudog88

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 11, 2015
Pine Village, Indiana
I wanted to update the post in case this gets searched.

I removed 1 shim from the injection pump and my timing mark lined up perfectly on the flywheel/bellhousing window. The engine started very smoothly with minimal smoke. It ran much stronger and the water temperature never exceeded 200°F while mowing thick, wet grass. Under more normal mowing conditions, the temperature settled to about 190°-195°. No more puffs of white smoke under load either.

If your B7100 is running hot;
1. Check radiator and screen for cleanliness.
2. Check COLD coolant level. (30/70 coolant/distilled water ratio)
3. Check air filter for cleanliness. (Replace as needed)
4. Check fuel filter for cleanliness. (Replace as needed)
5. Check injection pump timing. (add/remove shim as needed)