Chrissy

Equipment
B7100D
Feb 5, 2015
Ventura, California
Hi All,

I have a thread describing my increasingly daunting project here:

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18430

But I have a specific question regarding the transmission filter screens. I posted the question in my project writeup but not everyone wants to wade through that long sad story.

In the process of breaking down my tractor, I removed the filter screens. There was a small collection of clean metal shavings lining the filter screens on both sides. After pulling them out, I put a magnet into the openings and pulled two 1/8" pieces of machined metal out. They look like corners and have beveled sides. All the levers seem to move. The PTO's all spin freely.

1) How much junk do people generally find behind these screens?

2) I haven't used this tractor - bought it as a project. Any guesses about how it will work? Am I screwed with this finding or?

I don't have pictures of the fragments of metal but I can post a picture tomorrow - I feel like someone who has been into these things might recognize the shape and know what piece got dinged up in there.

I am keeping optimistic. Thanks!

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Crum! I saw your note on the metal in your rebuild saga but I didn't notice you pulled the big pieces out with a magnet. I expected somebody would pipe up because I've seen many comments about metal found in the screens.

I suggest you PM Service Dept Vic and NIW, just in case they don't see the question. And I'm sure some of the other gurus will be responding soon.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My take on metal in the screen is that something broke, could be anything from the HST to the rear wheels.
Post some pictures, sometimes get lucky and can tell what it came off of.

Chrissy

Equipment
B7100D
Feb 5, 2015
Ventura, California
Here's a photo of the two significant pieces of metal from behind the HST filter screens. Anyone have an opinion or have you found such fragments? Look to be teeth from a gear to me. I have to decide if I should tear into the transmission and rear axle while everything is dismantled or if I want to roll the dice and see if it works first...:confused:

Chrissy

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep that's a couple of syncro gear teeth.
If it were mine, I'd be jumping into the tranny to find out what needs replaced. ;)

Chrissy

Equipment
B7100D
Feb 5, 2015
Ventura, California
Hey Wolfman, have you been inside your HST? I am not afraid to take anything apart. That's my specialty. Is it a scary jungle of specialized tool requiring parts or is is just another task requiring attention to detail and more patience than the average bear?

Looked around for threads with pictures but have not been able to find anything.

Chrissy

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I haven't been into my B7100, it's always run like a champ.
I have gotten into my L3450GST, way into it.

The good part is you won't need to get into the HST unit (it will just unbolt from the front of the mid-case).
It's the mid-case where you'll most likely find the broken gear.
Go to Kubotabooks.com and download the parts book and the WSM that will give you a lot of visual parts info.

My guess is the gear in yellow:

Attachments

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Here's a photo of the two significant pieces of metal from behind the HST filter screens. Anyone have an opinion or have you found such fragments? Look to be teeth from a gear to me. I have to decide if I should tear into the transmission and rear axle while everything is dismantled or if I want to roll the dice and see if it works first...:confused:

Chrissy

It's crazy that you found a dime in there!