B7100 Clutch Rpair

Piker

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2320, 2002 Honda Rubicon
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
B7100 Clutch Repair

Just got my 1980 B7100 bolted back together after splitting it a week or so ago for clutch issues. When cold the clutch would not completely dis-engage & with trans. in gear, clutch pedal fully depressed, the tractor would want to move when attempting to start. It improved quite a bit when warmed up which was also kind of strange. Turns out most of the problem was the amount of grease a previous owner had pumped into the zerk on the carrier for the throw-out bearing. It had oozed past the bearing & was splattered all over the inside of the bell housing & all over the pressure plate/clutch disc. I actually had to pry the disc away from the pressure plate with a screw driver. I had ordered throwout bearing, clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bushing & seal over a year ago, but got busy & never changed them out. Old disc was worn almost to the rivets - normal I guess for a 32 year old tractor, but clutch never slipped after warming up, in fact I used the tractor last Feb. in -20C weather to cut & skid out 10 cord of Maple logs for firewood. Today it took waaaay longer to attach all the bits & pieces than it did to get things lined up & tractor bolted back together. Another thing I found was significant wear on the forks that push the throw-out bearing carrier out when the pedal is depressed. They were worn about 1/8" flat. Built them up with my little wire-feed welder & ground them back to a round profile. I also got stung with the 2 different sized rear main seal dilema reported by a previous poster - no sign of leakage but only want to split it once. Older tractors require the smaller seal & took time to get the correct one. While waiting for parts I removed all the sheet metal, sanded, primed & sprayed, then applied new hood decals that a local sign shop made for me. Used Valspar Kubota Orange (4432-24) & their hardener with Naptha as a reducer. Flows out well & nice gloss. Can't call it "Ol Rusty" any more. Not a Barrett-Jackson restore but looks good to me.

Last edited:

Piker

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2320, 2002 Honda Rubicon
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
Yer right, I should have taken some photos but to quote an old saying "when yer up to yer arse in alligators, it's hard to remember you are in there to drain the swamp"! It would have been helpful to show the amount of grease in there & the wear on the throwout bearing carrier forks, also the welded repair. Sorry. I'll post a pic of the completed tractor after I get the fenders on this morning.

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Hi Piker,

I was actually was more interested in how the finished product looked with the new paint job.

Your description was more than enough about the greasy mess!

Glad you got it fixed. Interesting problem!

Thanks,

Steve ;-)

Dennis

Jul 28, 2010
Queensland Australia
Split my 1980 B7100 last year and did the same job. After putting it back together I had clutch shudder. Turned out that CV joint at the end of the drive shaft in front of the transmission case was worn and sloppy.
This old girl has been worked hard for 15 years, often neglected and more than once overheated and still just keeps on soaking up the hard work .

These days she gets well serviced and looked after, cause I now appreciate what a special tractor it is.
So I'll just keep replacing the worn seals and bearings until one of us gives up the ghost.