B6100E dynamoe

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
I'm trying to diag a charging problem with my B6100E. I'm not getting any more voltage over battery voltage. I pulled apart the connectors for the dynamoe to check that and nothing. I've got the dynamoe all pulled apart and everything appears to be ok, but when i ohm it out, i'm only about 4.2 ohms.. if i had to take a good guess i would assume that i've got a shorted coil. I would think it should be higher then that, based on what i know about coils. If someone could confirm this would be great.

Thanks,
Jon

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Jon there's a bunch of post on here about your problem and just search the subject. I would put a set of bearings in the alternator since you have it down, and if you can feel the poles repelling as you hand rotate the pulley that's good enough to put back in the tractor and put your multimeter on A/C scale and read output at the output terminal of the dynamo. Positive to Terminal and negative to a good known low resistance grounding point if not the actual negative battery post itself. Start on battery and measure at idle and should be at least 16 to 19 volts. Go to 1800 RPM and you should see a jump to 23 to 30 volts A/C range.
If you have no output whatsoever, I'd say you need an alternator because one or more of the poles are open but I don't believe this is your problem. I suspect the diodes are shot in the voltage regulator ( heat sink ) which converts the dynamo to usable DC current for the battery. I'm sure one of the other guys will come along with additional suggestion but this is your bottom line to get DC voltage to restore the battery drain off. :)

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
yea I had a bad regulator on my B7200 but this one seems to have no output from the generator. The generator is a project to get to on the B6100 so I really dont want to put it all back together to find out its bad. I've got a copy of a service manual floating around somewhere, I'll have to dig it out and look up some specs. I'll also do a search on it.

Thanks again,

Jon

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Definately check the rectifier and connections. My first B6000 had a connection issue that I had to resolve.....................but that was before I found this forum.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I've got the dynamoe all pulled apart and everything appears to be ok, but when i ohm it out, i'm only about 4.2 ohms.. if i had to take a good guess i would assume that i've got a shorted coil. I would think it should be higher then that, based on what i know about coils. If someone could confirm this would be great.

Thanks,
Jon

That low ohm of 4.2 sounds either good or high for the coil. It should be low. The rectifier is where the high and low side should be when the leads are switched.