B6100d clutch release bearing woes

stanster

Jan 18, 2010
west unity, ohio
When I press the clutch in on my b6100d and it is in gear it is growling and vibrating. I greased the clutch release bearing assembly but I noticed that grease came out on the transmission side. This did seem to help a little but the problem persist. If the gear box is in neutral with the clutch in it does not do it and when you let off the clutch it stops. The clutch peddle does seem to have some freeplay in it but functions ok. If there is excessive freeplay could that cause this? What is the easiest way to adjust the clutch peddle properly or should I not even bother and set up to split things in half? :(

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Stanster. It does not sound good. But you can try to set up the clutch. It has to be worth a shot. If it ends up that you have to split the tractor it's not as big a job as you might think. And these little tractors are fairly easy to work on. Good luck and keep us posted.:D Dusty

stanster

Jan 18, 2010
west unity, ohio
Is it possible to remove the rear section(transmission) from the "tunnel" where the clutch release bearing is and leave the bell housing and "tunnel" attached? Once that is off can you slide the new bearing and bearing holder over the output shaft. That would save having to remove all the steering assembly and the components that are in the way off the bell housing.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Stanster. I am afraid you will have to wait for someone with more experience with your tractor. An illustrated parts book and a work shop manual are pretty much a must have with these older kubotas. Service dept Vic could answer your question as well as half a dozen other guys. Good luck.:D Dusty

stanster

Jan 18, 2010
west unity, ohio
If the bearing is bad why doesn't it make noise when the tractor is in neutral with the clutch pushed in....it only does it when in a gear? Thats why I wondered about the clutch adjustments. How do I check to see if the clutch is adjusted correctly? If I end up changing the bearing I will need to know sooner or later;)

stanster

Jan 18, 2010
west unity, ohio
I figured it out I think. Pilot bushing was shot see pic 1. So Im guessing when the trans was in neutral the shaft could free spin with engine but when I put it in gear the trans. stopped the shaft and things got a little noisy. The clutch bearing appears to be fine but I have a question about the bearing holder. Does any part of the bearing holder or the release bearing contact the shaft? Im gonna change the bearing but not sure if I need a holder. There is alot of clearance so the only contact with the shaft would be the oil seal on the transmission side. Also the shaft in the area of the bearing holder has some slight grooving and wasn't sure if that would be an issue. Thanks.
Sidenote for newbies..If you ever change the trans. fluid make sure to take the filler cap off as it can pull a vacuum. Then after you have both plugs out and you think its drained, it gets air and shazam it overshoots your drainpan on both sides :eek:

Attachments

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Stan... how hard was it to split the tractor?:rolleyes:

I know in my heart someday I will be doing it on mine (or my neighbor's for sure) and I need to get myself psyched up for that for sure:eek:.

How long did it take?

Butch

stanster

Jan 18, 2010
west unity, ohio
Butch splitting it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I started at 3 and was cleaned up and in the house at 8 but that was with interruptions (kids) and the lack of organization of tools and garage. If you had a well equipped shop i would think 2 or 3 hours even less w/o a FEL. I started out with a big mess with the trans. fluid...man that sucked. Most of my time was spent cleaning all the parts and the floor, there was so much build up in places you cant see. Just hope I can get it back together right!

stanster

Jan 18, 2010
west unity, ohio
Hey Killer the way this thing is built Im guessing It wont miss a few bolts here and there:D But I did answer a few of my own ?'s 1.You can't slide the new release bearing over the output shaft from the trans side because there is plate that holds a seal for the bearing holder in the way. 2. The bearing holder does not contact output shaft it is centered by 3 different seals. I seen the clutch video but Im confused as to how greasing the bearing holder gets grease to the bearing. It appears that that there is a seal on both side of the grease nipple. Got parts ordered today along with a work shop manual for $60! If anybody needs any pics of stuff torn apart just give me a holler.