B6100 Rebuild

DoubleDurgz

Equipment
B6100D
Dec 16, 2018
North East, MD
I have been lurking here for a few months and figured it was time to contribute. Its been years since i have been on a forum, almost feels like using a chatroom again.
I picked up my B6100D in December and what started out as some fixing up has turned into a rebuild. My garage isn't really equipped but I've been itching for a project for years. I was a C-130 aircraft mechanic for 13 years and used to love doing the heavy maintenance on it. 5 years, 4 kids, a bad back and a career change to the IT world and i'm ready to get my hands dirty.

Attachments

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the OTT forum. YES, it is about time you joined or we never would have seen that nice old warrior. :D

You started off great by posting pictures... so, keep posting them coming as you go along. :)

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
No dents not a lot of rust and just the right size for a first time project. That one should be fun. Get you a workshop manual and read up. Being in the rental business, projects come to me on a daily basis. Maybe one day I will get to just find one to enjoy.

Forester45

Equipment
L3301DT
Sep 22, 2016
Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Great project - I did a B6200 year before last that I got at an auction for $900. I received a lot of help from the people here and had it running and looking not half bad for another $500. Great little tractor and it would go places my L3301 4X4 would not and it was just a two wheel drive. Unfortunately I made the mistake of selling it and wish I never had. Good luck with your project and keep us posted - love reading about bringing these machines back to glory! Get the WSM and a parts book if possible - great help!

DoubleDurgz

Equipment
B6100D
Dec 16, 2018
North East, MD
The fenders are in pretty rough shape around the mounting locations. I had a very large pile of rust when i finally got them off. There was not much left of the seat. I mangled the wheel hubs getting them off. Pretty much every nut, bolt and pin is corroded.

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Before you 'mangle' the other side, I'd suggest soaking them down with P Blaster or liquid wrench or a good home made concoction of ATF and Acetone (what I use), 75% acetone, 25% ATF (red stuff), All the rusted bolts too, Will come off lots easier and less carnage.

I gave up on the screw type pullers a few years back. Got myself a Harbor Freight (I know Harbor Freight stuff is usually junk but not in this case) Hydraulic puller. I bought the 12 ton puller. It's basically a hydraulic jack with puller fingers. I use it on everything from harmonic dampers to brake discs. A couple pumps (and some of my acetone/atf mix and wham), the discs let go as well as the dampers, very nice tool. I would not be without it. Even works on ball joints. One thing about doing disc brakes is, the puller is capable of actually breaking the disc off the hub. Done that too. Sure beats beating on them with a sledge hammer.

DoubleDurgz

Equipment
B6100D
Dec 16, 2018
North East, MD
The right hand brake had a leaking seal on the gear case. The shoes were packed full of gunk and the drum is currently seized. The left brake looks great but will put in all new shoes and drums.

Attachments

DoubleDurgz

Equipment
B6100D
Dec 16, 2018
North East, MD
Before you 'mangle' the other side, I'd suggest soaking them down with P Blaster or liquid wrench or a good home made concoction of ATF and Acetone (what I use), 75% acetone, 25% ATF (red stuff), All the rusted bolts too, Will come off lots easier and less carnage.

I gave up on the screw type pullers a few years back. Got myself a Harbor Freight (I know Harbor Freight stuff is usually junk but not in this case) Hydraulic puller. I bought the 12 ton puller. It's basically a hydraulic jack with puller fingers. I use it on everything from harmonic dampers to brake discs. A couple pumps (and some of my acetone/atf mix and wham), the discs let go as well as the dampers, very nice tool. I would not be without it. Even works on ball joints. One thing about doing disc brakes is, the puller is capable of actually breaking the disc off the hub. Done that too. Sure beats beating on them with a sledge hammer.
already mangled both sides. I would like a hydraulic puller and do shop at harbor fright. The right hub had been modified and welded so there was no way to loosen the wedges. I found some cheaper replacement hubs with a slightly different design.

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
already mangled both sides. I would like a hydraulic puller and do shop at harbor fright. The right hub had been modified and welded so there was no way to loosen the wedges. I found some cheaper replacement hubs with a slightly different design.
Check out the hydraulic puller, They never advertise them on sale but they are there. Lots of You-Tube vid's on them and how well they work (and they do), I'm a testament to that. Simple but very efficient design.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You haven't cut the strap all the way through, and you need to remove the bolt as it's probably indented into the axle.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Wow, hard to believe they were that hard to get off. Normally those style hubs are almost impossible to get tight at all- even fully tightened, they usually still wobble & flop.

DoubleDurgz

Equipment
B6100D
Dec 16, 2018
North East, MD
You haven't cut the strap all the way through, and you need to remove the bolt as it's probably indented into the axle.

There is a thru bolt that goes thru pre drilled holes in the axle. The bolt on the hub has an eccentric washer to tighten the wedge blocks against the shafts. I couldn’t get anything other than the thru bolts out. The puller did the trick though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Glad you got them off they can be tough.

Notice on the hubs you pick that they do not include the studs or nuts.
You might have a hard time finding studs that will fit and hold in those hubs. ;)