B6000e questions

P.Holm

Equipment
L2250 4WD,FEL,60"belly mower,60" JD bush hog,60" JD box blade-Kubota T1400
Apr 24, 2009
Lakeland,Fl
Picked this little b6000e out from behind a mower shop last month for $500 and not that the holidays are over my son and I are eager to get started on cleaning the old girl up.
Managed to scrounge around and traded some stuff for a 4 foot bush hog and a woods RM59-2 finish mower. We fabricated a setup for hanging some weight on the front to handle the bush hog(needed about 180 lb).
my dilema is this, after an attemp to heat up and beat flat the lift side of the bush hog blades they still cut crappy I was thinking a new set of flatblades and sharpening the back side would accomodate the ccw pto?
Also does anyone know the part no for a set of reverse blades for the finish mower? Does anyone have any feedback on running a 4 foot bush hog with this unit?
Also will be using to disc up our garden and the turf tires will be an issue with 2wd. will chains help or should I go right to ag tires?

We will be repainting this spring and looking forward to posting pics !

Paul

Attachments

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
I have a B8200 which is a few sizes larger and newer then your B6000. In the operators manual it lists a 4 foot bush hog as the maximum size. I think you need to look for something much smaller. Chains will help but for the cost it might be worth just investing in some ag. Looks like a great fine!

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
If I am not mistaking some of the 6000 as you say are ccrotation and when they were sent to the US they made a pto reverser you had to purchase to change the rotation of the pto. Have seen a few on E bay for sell NOT INEXPENSIVE thou. Maybe Vic will jump in to verify. Good luck. handy

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
There have been posts about this, about a year ago as I recall. The consensus was that the pto reverser is available but expensive, and there is some power loss using it. That is why Kubota left the pto running the wrong way, instead of reversing it in the gearbox.
A 4' brush cutter is about the maximum, perhaps a 42" would work better. You can reverse the blades and run it directly, apparently they do not mind running in reverse.

Rust Addict

Equipment
B6000E
Jan 2, 2010
Sidney, Maine, USA
I think you can run some light truck 15" snow tire chains and will find they offer mountains of traction with the rear diff lock engaged. You might find chains for $75 to $150 per pair. I have tire chains for tilling and snowblowing on a B6000E and it works well, traction is not the problem. You may be able to narrow that 4foot bush hog to run short blades if you have some fabrication skills. We have seen some guys here on the site narrow front buckets and I'd think a hog could be cut down with the same effort. Based on the issues I've had with B6000, matching the PTO RPM's to the attachement is the biggest hurdle. Most smaller attachements are for gas engine running 2,000rpm PTOs or 3,600rpm engine for crank shaft PTO's. All the 4ft hogs I've looked at about 400 lbs which seems a bit much for the little B6000 to drag around thru ditches and hills I have around here.

P.Holm

Equipment
Apr 24, 2009
Lakeland,Fl
Filled the little 15" turf tires with water also the fronts, hung about 150 pounds off the front end and still a bit light up front. traction definetly an issue going up hills .Sliding around in the dead grass going uphill. Am in charge of mowing retention ponds(mostly dry with sandy bottoms) at a local HOA and I don't need to get stuck in the bottom.
36 and 42 inch bush hogs are never found around here, mostly 4 and 5 footers.

Rust Addict

Equipment
B6000E
Jan 2, 2010
Sidney, Maine, USA
Paul, Aside from your uphill battle with traction, is there is enough grunt from the little B6000 engine to haul the hog and power the cut for 4ft swath?

Last edited:

P.Holm

Equipment
Apr 24, 2009
Lakeland,Fl
Paul, Aside from your uphill battle with traction, is there is enough grunt from the little B6000 engine to haul the hog and power the cut for 4ft swath?
Well it's too early to tell, I heated up the blades, beat the backsides flat and put an edge on them(sort of). This has not worked well enough to be productive. I was thinking of buying some flat blades and putting a nice edge on the backside and trying that. It is winter so I am also challenged to find some nice thick stuff to tear into as well.

I am gong to add another 50-60 pounds of weight up front as it is still a little light up front.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I own a B6100E which is the North American model of your B6000 and from time to time I've ran a Woods 4ft bush hog behind my tractor and it's handeled it quite well. My tractor has enough power to lift it high enough to were I can load it onto a trailer and head out if I need to. Never really had any problem's going up and down gentle slops with it either.

P.Holm

Equipment
Apr 24, 2009
Lakeland,Fl
I wonder if the 5 foot finish mower is going to be too much. Some have said it would be ok, some say it is too big.
I wonder if anyone is running this same mower ( Woods RM59) with their B600e? Need to find reverse blades for this mower as well but not sure where to look.

Paul

cappys tractor

Equipment
B6000 and Husqvarna mower (hey, it's orange too!)
Jan 18, 2010
Cape Cod, Ma
If you HAVE to have a finish mower, why not invest in a Northern (or similar) tow behind, self powered finish mower? Another benefit of having a stand alone finish mower is you could tow it with anything, if the trusty old B600 dies!
I have a B6000 and It is a pretty tough little tractor. I would think if you were in low enough gear it could handle about anything.

I think a 4' bush hog would be the absolute top end for this. Just make sure you have an over running clutch in case you hit something hard. You will have to install the over running clutch backwards though, since the PTO runs backwards. why not simply remove and reinstall the Bush hog blades upside down, so they cut backwards?

P.Holm

Equipment
Apr 24, 2009
Lakeland,Fl
If you HAVE to have a finish mower, why not invest in a Northern (or similar) tow behind, self powered finish mower? Another benefit of having a stand alone finish mower is you could tow it with anything, if the trusty old B600 dies!
I have a B6000 and It is a pretty tough little tractor. I would think if you were in low enough gear it could handle about anything.

I think a 4' bush hog would be the absolute top end for this. Just make sure you have an over running clutch in case you hit something hard. You will have to install the over running clutch backwards though, since the PTO runs backwards. why not simply remove and reinstall the Bush hog blades upside down, so they cut backwards?
Already have a finish mower so trying to make due with what I have. I cant turn the bush hog blades because they have a bend in them but I think I will need a lighter duty 42 inch cutter.