B6000e knocking

Gaetan

Equipment
Kubota B6000e
Nov 25, 2010
Martinville Quebec Canada
Hi! I have a B6000e and when I start it, I heard some knocking for the first 10secondes, after that, it's purr like a cat, :) no knocking. Is it normal for that little diesel? Thank.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
How long have you owned the tractor? Is this a new noise, or are you just getting used to it?
A knock is normal for a diesel at startup, and is more pronounced the colder it is. That being said, an unnatural (for a diesel) knock can happen if something is wrong. So, it could be normal, or not. As stated by Vic, you will need to check a few things out, if it isn't normal.

Gaetan

Equipment
Kubota B6000e
Nov 25, 2010
Martinville Quebec Canada
Thank for your answer, I buy this tractor since 1 month. It's start very well and don't make to much smoke. (NO BLUE SMOKE) only a little black smoke like my other tractor (ford 3000 diesel). I put new oil on it. I don't use any starting fluids and as I told in previous post, after 10 secondes it's sound very well.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
I know that for some people, testing the oil pressure and compression is not an easy thing to do without the proper tools and knowledge. If you want to do these tests and don't have the tools or know how,then just ask. Or google it. If it starts good in cold ( anything below 0 celcius ) weather, that is a good indicator as far as compression. Congratulation's on your new to you Kibota. I have had three, all as tough as nails.:D Dusty

Bellinghamster

Equipment
B7100 with FEL
Nov 25, 2009
Bellingham, WA
First make sure it's really the engine knocking and not a piece of sheetmetal flapping around, pto shaft, etc.. (I almost got a free F250 diesel 'cause the owner thought it had spun a bearing and was about to grenade itself. Turned out to be just a loose cover on the bellhousing, but man, did it ever make a racket!)

Possibly a sticking injector that leaks when cold, throwing off the timing of that cylinder but frees up as soon as it warms up a bit. Here's what I'd do:

Be ready with a wrench to crack loose the nuts holding the fuel delivery pipes to the injectors (just like bleeding the lines/injectors). Fire up the engine and immediately (while it's knocking) crack the nuts loose 1/4 turn then retighten, one at a time, to see if which cylinder is knocking (it should stop knocking when the nut is loose) . If you are fast you might be able to get all three before it stops knocking after the 10 seconds. If not, let it cool down and start where you left off tomorrow. Once you find the offending injector/cylinder swap that injector with one of the others (take notes or label them!) to see if the knocking follows the injector or stays with the same cylinder.

If it follows the injector, replace it and you're done. (or, if you're like me, take it apart, figure out how it should work, why it doesn't work, fix it, clean it, make an injector tester out of a bottle jack, fiddle around testing and adjusting all the injectors so they pop at the same pressure, then realize I spent 2 days to save $40)

If the knock stays with the cylinder, first check to see if it's a sticking valve: Remove the valve cover. Do it when the engine is cold, then crank it over (no glow plugs or throttle - you don't want it to start) and watch to make sure all the valve move up and down smoothly and the same amount. If one stays down longer then gets forced up by the piston, you found the sticky one. You might be able to free it up by removing the spring (with that piston positioned at top dead center to keep the valve from falling into the cylinder. also don't drop the keepers down the oil return passages in the head!). Remove the valve stem oil seal and spray some penetrating oil down the valve guide. Turn the engine just enough (carefully by hand) to lower the piston so you can work the valve up and down. Twirl it and make sure it's straight. Put a new oil seal on and reinstall the spring and keepers and you're good to go. If it's really stuck or can't be made to slide freely (gravity should easily make it drop without the oil seal or spring in place), then you'll have to pull the head to properly clean it up and maybe replace the valve and/or guide.

If it's not an injector or a valve, well, then it could be a bad lower end bearing or problem with the injection pump... or something in the flywheel, magneto, fan, etc. Start with the simple stuff!

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
The oil may be a little thick for the cold season......but (like mentioned above)...the knocking at start-up isn't uncommon....as long as it subsides in the 10 seconds.

Might try a lower viscosity oil for the cold season.