b6000 coolant fan wont turn on automatically

mdb6000

Equipment
b6000
Oct 11, 2010
monroe, ct
Hello,
Kind of a weird problem, I think. I won't get into details unless they are required, but I have found out that the fan behind the radiator (that is the coolant fan, yes?) doesn't turn unless I give it a spin, and then it stays on the whole time the tractor is running. When i turn off the tractor and go to start it again, I have to restart that process. Any ideas?

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Some pictures would be good, so this is an electric fan, not a belt driven one? Should be belt driven AFAIK, so is the belt very loose? The bearings in the fan/dynamo could be U/S, as well as the belt.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea sounds like you have sticky bearings or burned / loose belt?

mdb6000

Equipment
b6000
Oct 11, 2010
monroe, ct
so i ordered the idler pulley (?) or tensioner pulley (?), it came in and as I failed at getting the old one off, because that's how i do things, i decided to just put it back together and wait for the weather to get warmer, well now it seems to run just fine. Could it literally have been frozen because of all the cold weather?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
so i ordered the idler pulley (?) or tensioner pulley (?), it came in and as I failed at getting the old one off, because that's how i do things, i decided to just put it back together and wait for the weather to get warmer, well now it seems to run just fine. Could it literally have been frozen because of all the cold weather?
I believe you will need to loosen the nut on the old tension pulley FIRST, then the tension screw will back off.

While the engine started.....the fan was still? I hope that the belt was so loose that it was not being turned by the pulley?

Under the other pulley - the one that is on the top under the fan - opposite the tension pulley is your dyno (think alternator) ONCE the belt is off, see if that spins freely, it may not spin like a top, but rather a spin with a little nudge and then it will seem to stop -which is normal.

Let us know IF the dyno does not spin somewhat freely.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Some pictures would be good, so this is an electric fan, not a belt driven one? Should be belt driven AFAIK, so is the belt very loose? The bearings in the fan/dynamo could be U/S, as well as the belt.
I too thought all of the small B series Kubota's of that generation had no water pump but a belt drive cooling fan. The tiny two wire dynamo could not have powered an electric fan. If the battery is charging does that not mean the cooling fan is turning since as I remember it, the fan is attached to the dynamo.

Something seems wrong here. Some previous owner mods perhaps.

How about a couple of photos.

Dave