B6000 break the tractor for clutch repair?

chiefbuzzbee

Equipment
B6000 w/Loader 2013 L3800 w/Loader
Jul 29, 2009
New Hampton,NH
OK its me again with a question, I was reading Todddrumeny about his clutch repair on his B6000 but what will I be getting into with this project? The clutch arm broke off and welded only to break again so I think I should replace it, but cab I do it without breaking the tractor?? Now I can do it with no trouble...in fact my wife says I can break anything....

Is there anything special I need to do or not to do. Way back when I worked on trucks pulling a transmission was a quick and easy job but we had overhead lifts and all and I had the spline tools to realign the clutches so HELP...please

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Chief I tried to answer you earlier today but it didn't happen. If there is a trick to loosening and fastening a new clutch rod linkage without pulling the transmission out of the clutch housing Vic or Ed will have to tell you that because I don't think you can get to the cottor pin and washers off and back on without pulling it. :eek:

As for an answer to your second question, if you have pulled a truck transmission you have the ability to pull your tractor's transmission. What I have done for years is buy the cheap wooden clutch alignment tool and take a hammer and carefully drive it though the clutch disc splines slowly for aligning the crankshaft bearing to flywheel housing and use a dial gauge to check round out and bore alignment during installation of a new clutch disc to pressure assembly. While you are in there look for any distorted/worn parts and change the throwout bearing for good preventative maintenance. This is cheap insurance against future noise. Check the flywheel face and the pressure plate face for heat checking and cracks. Machine or replace as necessary. Look at the pilot hub over the input shaft for wear and deburr if needed, look at the yoke the bearing housing. Check out Vic's video, pretty good and straight forward with what you will see in there. Go for it....:D make a presentation for the article section of the forum ;)

chiefbuzzbee

Equipment
B6000 w/Loader 2013 L3800 w/Loader
Jul 29, 2009
New Hampton,NH
Yes I haven.t seen that looks like I can do it without breaking it either but I was hopping. Thanks Ob1 for the answer and the support. I'll be sure to take pictures.......

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hey Chief , I tried and tried on my B7200 but I could not get that stupid cotter pin out. It ended up that it didn't matter anyway because I had to split the tractor. But it sure looked like you could remove it without splitting the tractor. How much different the B6000 is I have no clue. Good Luck, Keep us posted.:D Dusty.

todddrummey

Equipment
B6000
May 21, 2009
falmouth, ma
Hi Chief,

I'm not quite sure what you are calling the "clutch arm". Do you mean the piece that is attached to the peadal and linkage. It's shiny (not painted) and extends into the housing above the clutch pedal? If this is what you are talking about, you might be able to slide it out and replace without breaking the tractor. My only thought would be that something else must be wrong if that lever is breaking off the shaft.

As far as breaking the tractor, it was time consuming, but not difficult. The hardest part was finding a way to hold up the engine end. I held up the back end with a floor jack, and just rolled it away. I held the front up by setting one of those folding ladders over the top and then securing the engine with a couple of ratcheting tie downs. You need to remove the hydraulic lines, gas lines, dashboard (easier than unduing all the wires) and anything else that crosses from front to back. Unbolt the transmission and slide the rear half back. The front driveshaft cover has to be separated, and the shaft will slide back as well.

When I opened mine up, the main problem was the arms on the pressure plate were ground off. The throwout bearing must have siezed. I replaced the bearing and holder, clutch fork, pressure plate, and clutch disk. Slid the two peices back together and bolted it up. Alignment was not a big deal. Just gave the flywheel a little nudge and the shaft slid right in. Make sure you line up the front drive shaft too!! I forgot and had to take the unijoint off to get it back in place. Hope this helps.

Todd