b6000 battery draining

mdb6000

Equipment
b6000
Oct 11, 2010
monroe, ct
Hi guys, I am no mechanic by any means, and, considering that, is there any easy reason as to why my big new (last year) battery is slowly draining on my b6000? I fired it up last weekend, and I could tell it wasn't all there, and then this weekend I had to jump it to get it going. When i turn the key, the glow plugs work, the little light above the key comes on, and it cranks a bit, but by no means like it should. The battery is a big one, bought it at the end of last year. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
First let's make sure there is actually a drain on the battery while at rest. We need to consider the condition of your battery connections, connectors and cables.

Disconnect the cables from the battery, starter and the chassis ground (earth).
Inspect the full length of the cables from end to end. Any corrosion will need to be removed.
Looking at the connector ends as there may be a slight amount of bare cable visible before the insulation covers it, how does it look? Is there heavy powdery corrosion?
Slightly bending the cables, look them over full length for damaged insulation that may be cracked or split and have allowed the cable in it's area to corrode. Insulation damage may be from rodents, high heat or a laundry list of other things. In my area rodents are number one for wire damage.

The chassis ground MUST be free of rust/corrosion, not pitted from any rust or corrosion and free of paint. Clean the chassis ground connection and make it shine. This is a must as the ground has to be in tip top shape.

Inspect the connection at the starter and it may need a cleaning from a small wire brush.

After cleaning all the connections and insuring the cables are in good condition, reinstall everything. If you have any doubt about the cables then buy new ones.

It will take only a slight small amount of corrosion to impede the continuity within the circuit. As this happens it will show in the same way as a drain on the battery. Small loads can still pass, like for the glow plugs but larger high amperage like the starter don't stand a chance.

Do you have access to a volt/ohm meter?

Last edited:

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Thanks for the replies guys, sounds like a job for this weekend, I will let you know how I make out.
I wish you good luck with your project. Take your time and enjoy working on your tractor. Keep us posted with your accomplishments and if needed we can bump up the trouble shooting level.