B600 front end noise

Lewis

Equipment
b6000
Mar 2, 2009
Massachusetts
I'm increasingly worried about what I think is gear noise coming from the front end of my B6000. It's loud! I have tried a few things, I changed the gear oil in the front differential and in both wheel gear cases with what I thought was a better oil. I experimented with driving in both 4 and 2 wheel drive and in coasting downhill at idle. Doesn't seem to make any difference though it is hard to tell over the motor noise. I think the noise is coming from the wheel gear cases. Does anyone have any experience with this? Oil recommendations? Thanks.

PenderBen

Equipment
B6200d, Bobcat 323j, T1600
Aug 31, 2012
Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Hi, I don't really have advice for you, but a suggestion; try coasting with the engine off? I know I can't hear much over the engine on my B6000, even at idle.

Lewis

Equipment
b6000
Mar 2, 2009
Massachusetts
Tried that, lots of noise. My book says 200 cc of oil per side. Is that correct? I am going to try a heavier oil, say Redline Shockproof Heavy. Anybody else?

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
If it is gear noise and it's that loud you may be past the point where different oil is going to make an appreciable dent in it's remaining service life. Any 80W-90 gear oil should work fine in the front axle.

I'd work on figuring out what component(s) is dying and replacing it hopefully before it takes anything else with it. I'd get the front end off the ground and rotate the wheels by hand, listening\feeling for what's going on with the gears. Look up the parts diagrams on Kubota's website and get familiar with the gear\bearing locations. You could both axles up on jack stands and spin them with the tractor and try and figure out exactly where the noise is coming from. Be careful if you try that, make sure your jack stands are secure and either remove all four wheels or have them spin in reverse if you are standing in front of the machine. It could also be the U-Joints on the drive shaft, have a look at those.

Lewis

Equipment
b6000
Mar 2, 2009
Massachusetts
Thanks stumpy for this suggestion. I jacked up the front end of the tractor and crawled under while an assistant spun one of the front wheels. The (intermittent) noise seemed to be coming from the front u-joint where the driveshaft attaches to the axle. I removed the cover to this u-joint to check it out. Unfortunately the tube enclosing the shaft will only move rearward by a few inches and the u-joint cover can't move past the drag link but the joint seemed to be ok. I think that the shaft is hitting the enclosing tube. Can any of this be removed without removing the front axle? Thanks for the help.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
If its a high pitch noise that sounds like a dry bearing, it probably is the tube coming into contact with the front drive shaft. Its a common problem on the B6000s that can usually be fixed simply by loosening the front boot clamps and rotating the boot a bit in either direction. It worked on mine. Also, make sure there are no dents in the tube. The tube is on there to protect the seal on the front axle, I'd leave it on there if possible.

Lewis

Equipment
b6000
Mar 2, 2009
Massachusetts
Thanks for the suggestion freewheel,I did loosen and rotate that boot and the noise went away, mostly. Something about alignment i guess. i do hear the noise when on rough terrain and at higher speeds but knowing what it is don't worry about it.