B5100 Governor - yes or no

miro

Equipment
snow blower
Feb 23, 2014
toronto
Since I got my B5100 2 years ago I operated it as if there is no governor. It is a 4WD. When I need more power I use the foot pedal throttle.

But last week I met a man who was a tech at a large Kubota dealership for 20 plus years and he swore the B5100 HAS a governor. I looked though the manual and did not find anything.

He said the governor is "dainty" especially on the 2 cylinder 12 HP engines, but that it should be there.

So, before I go messing with the machine, can anyone offer some direction?

My other 2 tractors have governors and it would be great to have one on the B5100

Thank you

miro

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
They governor is mounted in front of the injection pump.

(EDIT: added pic as you can link to Kubota's site, it doesn't work) ;)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
All Kubota engines have a governor (as far as I know), it's internal and really non user adjustable, it's job it to keep from being able to over rev the engine.

Why are you wondering / worried about it?
If it's the thought that you can over rev it, nope you can't do it.

Last edited:

miro

Equipment
snow blower
Feb 23, 2014
toronto
On my other tractors, the governors will increase the throttle when the load starts increasing , so the engine RPM stays about the same. You set the throttle to the speed you need and the governor keeps it there.

My B5100 doesn't do that . When , for example, I hit deeper snow with the blower, the engine slows down, so I then increase the throttle with the foot pedal to get the RPMs back up. I then ease off when the snow load lightens up.

I can see the concept of preventing over - revving and I am careful when I operate the machine.

I always thought a governor was supposed to keep the RPMs about constant regardless of load ( within limits of course)

miro

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The governor limits the top end, but if you bog the motor down with a load it does not have any bearing on that, that's the injector pumps issue to deal with.
If you having serious losses you might want to look into air filter, fuel filter, Valve adjustment, or if high hours it might be in need of some more serious work.

Last edited:

miro

Equipment
snow blower
Feb 23, 2014
toronto
I don't have an issue of the motor bogging down under load, it's just that the other tractors operate somewhat differently.
Thank you for the info , now I know what to expect.
miro