B4200 w/Transmission Problems

apn73

Equipment
B4200 with RC44-42 belly mower and FEL
Jul 26, 2011
SE VA
Hello All,
I spent a lot of the weekend trying to resurrect my '87ish B4200D. I got the engine running, no problem there. I pulled the plug on the transmission (geared) and out comes the water, lots of it, like at least a gallon. This tractor has been sitting for 6 years, so I have no idea how long that water has been in there. I did pull the shaft seal off of the mid-mount PTO and looked at the bearing, it didn't look "too bad." There were some rust specs on the ball bearings, but it didn't look horrific. The other issue is that the shift lever will not move into any gear, it will move to side to side in the neutral gate, but won't move backwards or forward into a gear. What do you recommend that I do with it? Is it salvageable? Is it going to require a full tear down to resurrect? Any guidance that can be provided will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Adam.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have marked up a parts illustration to give you some insight.

The two horizontal rods, identified with the green lines, side back and forth moving the shifter forks which in turn move gears.

These rods are kept in sync so you cannot select two gears at the same time thereby locking the transmission by using simple single ball bearings seen as #80 and springs. These bearings move in and out of grooves in the sliding rods both locking one rod in position and allowing the other to move,

Take the top of the transmission. You will get a much better idea of how rusted the internals are.

You keep to work some thin rust busting spray lubricant around where the ball bearings are and also those supports within the case which support the horizontal siding rods while at the same time encouraging the rods to move both forward and backward. The rod movement will have a notchy feel as the ball bearings move in and out of the rod grooves.

Dave

Attachments

Last edited:

apn73

Equipment
B4200 with RC44-42 belly mower and FEL
Jul 26, 2011
SE VA
I have marked up a parts illustration to give you some insight.
Hi Dave,
Thanks so much for your help. I didn't receive that marked up drawing, do you mind sending me a PM or whatever with that drawing?
Best regards,
Adam.