B3030 Kubota will not start

bear15

Mar 6, 2020
Brazil, IN, USA
We are not sure where to begin. We have a B3030 Kubota tractor with 324 hours on it and it will not even turn over-- no click, click or anything. We tried jumping it and charging the battery but it did not help.

Any help appreciated.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Is the dash lighting up? If so, seat switch, PTO switch or hydro pedal switch is where I would start.

If not, check battery grounds.

Reactions: 1 user

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Yes, the dash does light up and the head lights work too. Can all 3 be by passed somehow so I can isolate the problem?

Many thanks!
For testing purposes, yes.
If they are 2 wire, which I think they are, unplug from switch and jump terminals together with proper male or female spade connectors on a short piece of wire.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
10 is PTO
20 is HST
60 is seat
No idea what 50 is.
And I'm not sure of your tractor, but there could be a switch on or near the actual PTO lever. This is an L5030, may be the same.
C757108D-38DF-45FC-A417-93E9FACD4C27.jpeg

B3030.png

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Many thanks!!
The first question is, is the issue related to the safety circuit or internal to the starter?

It is possible to apply 12 volts to the starter solenoid terminal, to see if the starter works normally. This must be done carefully. There is risk the tractor could move expectantly.

I think this is what I would try first, to eliminate a starter issue from other possible issues.

In the case of my BX2200, believe it or not, the circuit that activates the starter solenoid is completed through the fuel cutoff solenoid. So a defective coil on the fuel cutoff solenoid could also cause the same symptom you are experiencing. Just mentioning this to illustrate that you need to consider even remote possibilities. I doubt your B3030 is the same as my BX.

When troubleshooting the "divide and conquer" approach often pays off. I would eliminate the starter question first myself. If the starter turns, this also eliminates the possibility that the fuel cutoff solenoid might be part of the picture.

However, if I were a betting man, I would bet your issue is with a safety interlock switch. But you will not know until you find the problem.

And you will eventually find the problem...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That model tractor has an OPC computer (simple) in it and that is where you need to start.
Do you need a copy of the WSM (aka Service manual) to see how to check it?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
YES, get the WSM ,or at least the wiring diagram ! No telling how many 'things' it could be...
Have to ask did it 'run fine when parked' ? If so ,maybe you've bumped a lever ? or a connector 'magically' fell off.
Have you a lot of hours on it, or is it new to you ?
The BX23S have a habit of the starter solenoid control wire connector just 'falling off'. Everything looks 'normal',just no click..putt,putt,putt. Once I SAW what had happened, it was an easy fix....

bear15

Mar 6, 2020
Brazil, IN, USA
YES, get the WSM ,or at least the wiring diagram ! No telling how many 'things' it could be...
Have to ask did it 'run fine when parked' ? If so ,maybe you've bumped a lever ? or a connector 'magically' fell off.
Have you a lot of hours on it, or is it new to you ?
The BX23S have a habit of the starter solenoid control wire connector just 'falling off'. Everything looks 'normal',just no click..putt,putt,putt. Once I SAW what had happened, it was an easy fix....
Yes, it worked great before I parked it. It only has 234 hours or so on it. What lever might I have bumped? So I should check the starter solenoid control wire connector? Maybe it got bumped as well? Thanks!

Hackman101

Equipment
BX2660 with front loader and bush hog
Feb 15, 2022
Bellingham, WA
Fixed! Thanks a bunch!
This is my first post. I have the same issue as you do. Low hours, ran fine the last time I parked it. Checked the one lever that was at fault when it did not start prior times. Did the John Deer relay add on. Still only clicks. Then another click about 5 seconds after the click with the key.

What was your fix? I must have missed the fix somehow???

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The fix was to reattach the small wire to the solenoid (wire from relay or key switch)

Hackman101

Equipment
BX2660 with front loader and bush hog
Feb 15, 2022
Bellingham, WA
The fix was to reattach the small wire to the solenoid (wire from relay or key switch)
Thanks for the clarification, but bummer mine is in good contact, even with the John Deere solenoid added. I guess I will need to look at the switches or something??