B3030 air conditioning problem

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
My air conditioning stopped working last weekend, so I picked up an R134 kit and added it to the system because I could see from the sight glass it was low. I had to run a jumper wire to the compressor because it wouldn't kick on by itself. I figured once it had enough freon it would start working by itself but that didn't happen. The fan switch seems to be working like it should and I couldn't track anything that normally be the culprit but no luck so far.

There's a sensor? ( looks like an oil pressure switch ) on top of the air dryer beside the sight glass that I'm guessing it what triggers the compressor curciut but the wires don't seem to unplug and I don't want to break it.

Anyone got any ideas as to what's wrong?

Also, since I haven't bought a manual yet, anyone know how to get the roof off to check that end? I'll order a manual Tues but was hoping to spend my holiday off fixing it.
Al

tiredguy

Equipment
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
PS: It worked excellent with the jumper wire running the compressor of course, but I know it's still a little low and I didn't want to take a chance on wasting another can if the problem was deeper so that I'd have to take it in to get a vacumn put on it.
Al

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
that sensor is actually the low pressure switch. Is that where you jumped it at? or at the compressor clutch itself? to troubleshoot some more remove the plug from the switch only jump there with all controls on high. if it runs you either have a low gas situation or a faulty switch. report back then.

kytim

tiredguy

Equipment
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Tim,
I couldn't get the plug off the switch ( thanks for letting me know exactly what it is) so I pulled the plug off the compressor and used a jumper wire directly to the pump. I figured if it was low it wouldn't allow the switch to open anyway, but thought when it had freon it would go back to working like it should.

No such luck of course. The plug on the switch appears to have an extra prong on the side for plugging something else into it, but I can't really see how. I'm afraid of breaking the switch trying to get the plug off from it now.
Thanks!
Al

tiredguy

Equipment
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Tim,
I tried jumping across the plug for the switch with no luck. I have the correct amount of R134 so I know I'm good there. The switch is actually a dual position and handles both low & high cut off from the paper and wiring diagram I got from the dealer, and the "normal" position is stays in is neutral meaning no contact in either direction. The problem with how this is wired is making it impossible for me to determine exactly what's going on because it actually backfeeds around so much. I'm probably going to order a new pressure switch because it's the least expensive part in the equation. It has a thermal switch that's also in the mix and I'n at a loss as to how I can possibly test it.
I'm not the best at doing this but have managed to track down many wiring problems on cars and have wired enough from scratch on race cars to at least have a clue.
Thanks for any input and hope someone else chimes in if they discovered where theirs may have failed or what I'm probably missing or not understanding of how it works.
Al