b2650 Too much tractor for my needs?

NSHunter

Apr 9, 2017
Canada
Hello from Nova Scotia. I am new to this forum, and would like some help in picking out a new tractor.

I currently have a large piece of property in Nova Scotia, containing approximately 3 acres of grass/field, and 65 acres of woodland (Recently logged)

I my driveway is gravel and approximately 600 meters long, slightly downhill, with a large parking area by my house.

I currently mow the grass with a Craftsman 42 inch ride on and it takes me the better part of 3 hours at full power/speed....

I am in the market for a tractor to mainly be able to maintain the gravel driveway in the summer, and deal with snow in the winter. We get some big snowfalls here, and I am prone to large drifts where I am.

I have logging trails (I can fit my f150 down them) and may want to retrieve the odd load of firewood in the FEL.

Other than that the tractor would be for maintaining the driveway, snow removal for the driveway, and mowing the lawn, as well as minor landscaping (IE moving mulch, gravel, and other gardening).

My lawn is fairly flat with only a minor slope, and I was thinking a 60 inch MMM.

For snow I had a rearmounted blower in mind, as I would like to keep the bucket/FEL attached to move snow if needed. Plus I feel as though having the cab installed will help with the comfort of having to turn around to use the blower.

I am on a budget, and feel that a cabbed tractor will be a must to keep me out of the elements for dealing with the winters here.

I was considering a BX series and getting a cab installed, but these B50's look great.

Please let me know if this tractor will handle the tasks without putting stress on the machine that I have mentioned.

If anyone has some input on how long it would take this tractor to mow my 3 acres of grass (No obstacles), and to snowblow approximately 1 foot of snow from my 600 meter driveway what would be great to hear.

EDIT**
I guess I just need to know if the BX series with a fabricated cab would be fine, or should I get the larger B50 with a cab?

As stated I will not be doing much with the other land I have, other then getting the odd load of fire wood.

Thanks - NSHUNTER!

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"I am on a budget, and feel that a cabbed tractor will be a must to keep me out of the elements for dealing with the winters here.

I was considering a BX series and getting a cab installed, but these B50's look great.

I have my heart set on a B2650 (NO DPF )

Please let me know if this tractor will handle the tasks without putting stress on the machine that I have mentioned."

Never say too much! Never heard someone unhappy they have a too big machine!

I would say you have a great machine picked out - many may say go bigger with an L series, for what you are wanting to do - that B will do you just right!

As for cutting grass, in verrrry simple math 42" gets 3 hours so in theory - 60" cut will (perhaps) do it in 2 hours, that is if the same speed is used, with that B series and HIGH gear, you might do it faster - thats IF you can hold on!;):D:)

And if you can wing the cab - GET THE CAB:eek:....'specially up there! In the lovely weather of winter!;)

Redtoorange

Equipment
B2650, BH77, 63" front mount snowblower, land pride bb,fel
Apr 7, 2017
Ont, Canada
I have a Massey GC2410 (about the same size as a BX) and I am in the process of trading up to the B2650. The GC is a great little tractor but I found it to be too light. My gravel drive is about 400 meters at 20 or 30 degree incline. With the box blade, when it filled with gravel, the GC would just dig in all four wheels. When I would lift the box blade to get going again I ended up with moguls which may be great for skiing but not so much in the car. The GC nod according to my Kabota dealer the BX you can't keep the 3pt from letting the box blade dig in. The B2650 you can. Along with the longer wheel base I think it will do a far better job. Sprung for the front mount 63" blower because it is a pain in the neck, literally to use the rear mount on my GC. Seems to be a pretty slick swap from fel to blower anyway.

NSHunter

Apr 9, 2017
Canada
Thanks for the comments.

I guess I just need to know if the BX series with a fabricated cab would be fine, or should I get the larger B50 with a cab?

As stated I will not be doing much with the other land I have, other then getting the odd load of fire wood.

Redtoorange

Equipment
Apr 7, 2017
Ont, Canada
I think you might regret not going for the B2650 and you find that you start looking for reasons to get the tractor out. I use mine for moving heavy appliances from truck to house, building retaining walls, spreading rock, moving lumber, mixing cement in the bucket, spring flower beds (fertilizer, mulch), septic tank, remove stumps and large rocks, resurface drive every time it rains heavy.

Rusty46

Equipment
B7500 HSD-R, LA 302, RCK60-24B, Woods RB-72, Millcreek 25, Harrow, Payne PF800,
Thanks for the comments.

NSHunter, I was faced with a similar choice in 2003, when buying my first (and only) CUT. I began looking at a BX1500, but soon also became interested in a larger B7500. Both would have probably done a fine job for me. My final decision was made when I sat on each one for several minutes - just looking around and touching the steering wheel and levers - the B7500 just felt like it fit me better. I have never regretted that decision.

Best wishes on your choice!

b12

Dec 8, 2009
Maine
I've had a B7800 for 12 years with absolutely no problems.
I like the Kubota B series and the B2650 would probably work out okay for you, but have you considered the L2501 ?

The L2501 does not have the mid PTO so you couldn't use a MMM, but if you don't mind a RM mower, the L2501 might be a better fit for your property.
The L2501 has about the same HP as the B2650 but it's a heavier duty tractor than the B2650 and also has with stronger hydraulics.

Last edited:

NSHunter

Apr 9, 2017
Canada
I have not looked at the L series at all. My dealer said the B50 series would be my best bet, as I Am also interested in the cab.

As mentioned I will not be doing much with the large amount of land I have. It will just be used for the driveway and mowing, along with basic landscape.

I am just looking for everyone's experience with the tractor and if it will be able to handle the requirements I mentioned in the original post.

I appreciate all the feedback!

mpham

Equipment
B 2650 cab
Nov 15, 2016
Massachusetts
I have the 2650 and use it for the huge load of snow we get here. My ck20 would struggle with my 54 inch rear blower. This tractor handles it with ease. I'm actually thinking of looking for a bigger blower. I plow/blow two 100 X20 driveways and a 30 ' cul-de-sac. I live on an acre and a half and don't find it to big. I use it to mow a small field with a rear 3pt. mower.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
If you have the money, go for the bigger tractor (B2650). It doesn't sound like you need a smaller machine for space requirements, and it sounds like you need something bigger- more ground clearance, weight, and bigger tires. While a BX would work, it won't do it as easy or as quick as the larger tractor would.

lilguy

Nov 7, 2011
Illinois
How would a 2650 compare to a B8200hst both with MMM on a busy lawn. 3 acres, rolling land with a good number of trees to get around.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I have a B2650HDSC (cab) here in Maine and keep my drive clear with a Pronovost Puma 64" rear mount blower. I have never run out of power and we got a couple of serious snow dumps this winter.

I don't think you'd be happy with the BX in your situation.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
First off dont get me wrong,, I love my BX,and it will do everything I ask,, but in your case I would go with the B with the cab,, they have one sitting in the showroom and it took 3 salesmen and a 8 foot 2x4 to pry me out of it !!! Like I said my BX is a beast, but brudder, if I could there would be a B 2650 setting in its place!!! Go with the 2650,,just MHO

Redtoorange

Equipment
Apr 7, 2017
Ont, Canada
Does the fabricated cab for the BX come with heat and ac?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I never put much stock in the widely accepted opinion that bigger is better so when I saw the BX capabilities could do what I needed I bought it. Still happy with my choice and I'd rather have a bigger wallet than a bigger tractor assuming it does what I need; which it does.

I had the 60" MMM on my BX and one of the fields I mow used to take me about 4hrs on my 42" Craftsman. The BX took an hour off that time though I've since purchased a ZTR which took another hour off that!

I spent the first 3 years using the FEL and rear blade for snow removal and it worked well until late winter when the snow piles would build up. The FEL had no problem pushing back the piles but it was a time consuming pain to do so. This past summer I bought the front mount snowblower and I didn't miss the FEL at all. There's really no reason for a FEL in the winter when you have a blower. Being able to face forward is tough to put a price on as well.

Last edited:

gregb46

May 11, 2017
Hampstead, MD
I would go with the 2650. I have an acre and a half wooded lot with a 300 ft blacktop driveway on a decent slope. The 2650 with a FEL and scraper handles snow removal with ease with industrial tires. Neighbor has a JD similar in size to a BX and takes 2-3 times longer to remove snow on his driveway. Where it really does the job is the common drive I use to access my place. It's 1200 ft and all Gravel. I'm out after every rain and snow touching up and smoothing the bumps with a box blade. I would highly recommend a land plane over a box blade for Gravel driveway maintenance. Less work and better end result. I just used it to clear about 8 mature oaks to build a new home (20x24 pole barn) for the tractor. Had to add 88 ton of fill for the building pad. The 2650 dragged some heavy logs out of the woods to a level spot for easier cutting. The loader capacity is perfect for the jobs I'm doing. The FEL and 60" bucket capacity is perfect. Sometimes moving bucket loads of gravel to fill holes in the Drive etc. I've used a JD 4110, JD 1070 and a BX in the past and after less than a year with the 2650 I am very happy I went with it. Started looking at the BX's and a 2601 but my better half convinced me to go with the 2650. You never know what you will need to do in the future so I would recommend it to anyone. Also picked up some hooks and straps from Kens Bolt on Hooks. I'm sure whichever you get will do the job however if it's in your price range go with the 2650.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
In this case:
Bigger Tractor = larger tires.
Larger tires = smoother ride when mowing

also,
Bigger tractor = more weight
bigger tires = more weight (filled tires)

Smaller tires tend to drop down into depressions in the ground deeper (rougher ride) than a larger tire will (it spans over many of the holes). My B2320HSD with a 60" MMM did my 3 acre lawn in a little over 1 1/2 hours (I used mid Range speed... no way I could do High range).

A word of caution with the Cab and mowing. Go around your yard and look at the trees and limbs. Are they to low for the tractor cab to get close to trim around them without taking the cab off? In the future when your plants grow, will you be able to trim close? Does the tractor with cab fit in your garage door? Having said that... you will really like the cab in the winter - a lot. Blowing snow where it drifts and blows back in your face can be a pain in the _ _ _ .

When snow blowing, the higher weight of the tractor is your friend (also for FEL and other work as well). The more the tractor weighs, and the more weight you can get loaded in your tires, the better you are going to be. That leads you to the bigger tractor for snow removal also.

Just a quick comment on blowers, and I realize it is personal preference and cost factors that matter here, but... I had a front mount blower on my B2320 and never regretted it. Never had a need for the loader because the blower would blow it away and keep the banks from building up... so no need for the loader to push snow back. If I did need it for some reason, then it was a quick change out. Also, for scraping sidewalk or scrapping away from the garage or house, I found putting a back blade on the 3 pt hitch worked better anyways (plus added weight). The combination of the blower and back blade is hard to beat for snow removal. I think it would speed the process up, and save your neck also. If you are gong to keep this for a long time to come, you may want to think about whether turning around to look behind you all the time is going to work as you get stiffer. I do not know how old you are, but for me... I can say my neck does not work the same way it used to, and I would not want a rear blow at my age and beyond.

Good luck.

Pat

Last edited:

keithcoady

Equipment
Kubota B7800 60 inch mmm, 60 inch normand blower, and 60 inch blade
Dec 11, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
NSHunter,

I live in Nova Scotia as well (Cape Breton) and I purchased a 2007 B7800 in the fall. I have a little less than 2 acres but use most of it. My driveway is 60 ft x 30 ft at the top and about 130 feet long with a pretty good grade.

I have a 60" Normand on the 3 point and love it. I have a 60" blade on the front as well which works great but am going to sell it and the sub frame as I need to get a loader to do some landscaping.

I also have a 60" mmm that I'm installing this week.

Tractor may be a little big for mowing the front yard but great for the back. As far as snow removal the size couldn't be better. It's a beast in the winter!!

Best of luck with your purchase.

Keith
20170107_111053_resized.jpg

Last edited:

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
The 2650 will suit you fine for the tasks you want it to do. It may be more tractor than you "need" but will fill that spot clearing drifts.

Sent from a field