B2650 starting issues

garciajoe

Equipment
B2650 Z422 Cyclone Rake North Star log splitter Woods Heritage RD60
Oct 22, 2014
Serena, Illinois
My 2014 B2650 has 250 hours on it. It has always been stored inside summer and winter. Recently I have had a hard time starting it. This is what happened the last time I started it. Inside temperature of my shed was 42 degrees. I held the glow plugs on for 2 minutes, and then tried to start. The glow plug light on the dash was on the entire time. Did not start, and pushed some white smoke out the exhaust. Waited 10 seconds and held the glow plugs on for another 2 minutes. More white smoke, but it finally started in about 10 seconds. Used the tractor for a couple of hours, and it ran great as usual. In that time I turned it off 3 or 4 times, and when I went to restart it cranked for a couple of seconds, started, and again ran like a top. Any ideas?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
My 2014 B2650 has 250 hours on it. It has always been stored inside summer and winter. Recently I have had a hard time starting it. This is what happened the last time I started it. Inside temperature of my shed was 42 degrees. I held the glow plugs on for 2 minutes, and then tried to start. The glow plug light on the dash was on the entire time. Did not start, and pushed some white smoke out the exhaust. Waited 10 seconds and held the glow plugs on for another 2 minutes. More white smoke, but it finally started in about 10 seconds. Used the tractor for a couple of hours, and it ran great as usual. In that time I turned it off 3 or 4 times, and when I went to restart it cranked for a couple of seconds, started, and again ran like a top. Any ideas?
Two minutes????:eek::eek:
Seriously? The preheat time according to manual for over 32 deg F is 2 to 3 seconds. At most I have preheated for 9 seconds. You should have the throttle above dead idle, about halfway. Any changes in fuel? Winter diesel or anti gel additive? In any case if you've had it through several winters with no prior troubles starting it, something is amiss. Have you always used such long preheat times?

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
Don't feel bad...see my thread under 'Block heater install' 3-4 pages.....I can't get my brand new BX 23 to start without a bunch of calculated steps.....Now I have to have a note taped to my dash with starting instructions....What a joke...

Sparky73

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2018 B2650HSD
Apr 28, 2018
WA
I'd start by replacing the glow plugs. If you've been running them for minutes instead of seconds, they're likely damaged. They don't preheat the engine. Think of them like a lightbulb filament. Apply power for a couple of seconds, they glow orange, and ignite the diesel for the initial crank. It only takes a second or two for them to do their job.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I will say you've fryed the glow plugs, even on a old motor the glow plugs reach max heat at about 45 sec.
new plugs max heat time is several seconds.

Remove the wires off the glow plugs and check the resistance before you going any further.

03marauderman,
Something is wrong with your tractor, it should start way easier than you are saying. :(

garciajoe

Equipment
B2650 Z422 Cyclone Rake North Star log splitter Woods Heritage RD60
Oct 22, 2014
Serena, Illinois
Using same fuel (BP) with Power Service diesel treatment, preheat time has been going up in the past year. If I plug my block heater in I have no problem. Is there a way to test the glow plugs, and if I want to replace them, a part number to order them.

Reactions: 1 user

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
Garcia Joe may have fried his glow plugs.....but the issue is 'Cold Starting' - 42 degrees really ??? then using it through out the day with periodically shut offs & starting..... all is well.....Idaho Wolfman....There's nothing wrong with my tractor...the dealer told me so....I'm just not starting it right... they say....How is it all of a sudden when the nationwide cold snap, set in, all these models are have cold starting issues??? and look at the laundry lists of recommendations in trying to resolve the issues.....No its Kubota's technology.....and this Messick's vid....I don't see him going through all the recommended starting procedures... Just a lot of smoking mirrors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaT6cUVAidg

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Use an Ohm meter and check their resistance. ;)
As he said ......
and a reading should be a number close to ONE OHM..... .9 ....shoot even 1.5 ohms ..... anything close to zero typically means it is a good "plug" something that shows a large number or no number means it is cooked.

Could there something wrong before the glow plugs? A broken wire?