B2650 Grapple Advice

MLB04V

Equipment
B2650 ROPS, FEL
Apr 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA, USA
I have a B2650 with SSQA FEL and added the BXPand Piranha tooth bar. I use it mostly around my hunting property (240 ac in AL) to clear and maintain trails and food plots. The tooth bar works great to cut small saplings and other brush. I am thinking about adding a grapple to the list of implements, but am undecided on a bolt on grapple like the one WR Long has (http://www.wrlonginc.com/bog.htm) vs. a stand alone unit. I do not want to lose the functionality I get with the tooth bar and have not seen a grapple with anything like that. Having it all in one seems like the way to go, but thought I would get an opinion from those more experienced than me. I am concerned the bolt on will be in the way at times, but it seems easy enough to move. I do not like the idea of having to go back and forth between the bucket and the grapple in the woods to move debris.
BTW, this is my first posting a new thread, so hopefully I have it right.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I do not like the idea of having to go back and forth between the bucket and the grapple in the woods to move debris.
Welcome to OTT,

Dumb question based on your SSQA - this a the "quick attach" ....I dont think you will be happy with an all-n-one version! Changing in and out with FEL and Grapple will be the best way to go - despite the getting off the tractor to pull the lever on the SSQA:)

MLB04V

Equipment
B2650 ROPS, FEL
Apr 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA, USA
Yes, it is the quick attach and you are correct it is easy, but I am typically out in the woods and will only have one or the other (although I could carry both I guess.). I wish there was a grapple with a tooth bar as effective as the Piranha. It works so well and I don't want to lose that functionality. Thank you for your input.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I will Grapple the bucket, go to where I need it, pull the pins, install the bucket and dig what I need, pull the pins and back to the Grapple. It's great for digging a hole and making burn piles out back where it's too thick to get back thru to the main burn area. I found a couple areas that the PO had used, that would be a lot easier than trying to get the slash piles all to one location.

bcuster

Equipment
B2650 w/ cab, FEL, BH, 63" snowblower w/ extensions, grapple, forks, box blade
Jul 10, 2015
State College, PA
If you are going to use the grapple for any significant work, go with the stand alone Everything Attachments 50" Compact Wicked Root Grapple. I've got it on my B2650, and it's downright amazing what I have done with it (and to it). I'm sure I have lifted WAY more than I should have, but being able to pull downed trees out from under one another has made believers out of those who didn't think my "little tractor" could get'er done. It's "light" so you have more lifting capacity for logs/brush you may be moving.

Admin delete if this isn't allowed, but here's the direct link:
http://www.everythingattachments.co...-Grapple-50-Single-lid-p/eta-cut-sl-rg-50.htm

Did you get a 3rd function valve with your tractor? If not, you will need one for stand alone grapples...

Last edited:

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
I went with a Bradco 48" Grapple. Works great.
I have the landpride on my bx25. I will say that I truly wish I would have bough something like this. The landpride is good to pick up an individual rock,log,or even a brush pile. But its not great at picking up dissimilar size objects such as rocks or bricks which just fall out.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Since you're thinking bolt on, look a the greens machine thumb. I believe it's a lot less expensive than the WR Long bolt on. I plan on getting one and putting a bracket on the bucket and one on the fork frame. With the cost of the WR Long one I would probably just get an everything attachments grapple.

If you get the bolt-on one it's probably going to be great for small and quick stuff but over time if you've got a lot to do you may realize you need the stand-alone grapple.

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
I like the idea of the Green Machines thumb. Has anyone used one to provide feedback? I'll be moving logs along with irregular brush and stones of various size.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Since you're thinking bolt on, look a the greens machine thumb. I believe it's a lot less expensive than the WR Long bolt on. I plan on getting one and putting a bracket on the bucket and one on the fork frame. With the cost of the WR Long one I would probably just get an everything attachments grapple.

If you get the bolt-on one it's probably going to be great for small and quick stuff but over time if you've got a lot to do you may realize you need the stand-alone grapple.
I like the idea of the Green Machines thumb. Has anyone used one to provide feedback? I'll be moving logs along with irregular brush and stones of various size.
One problem with the "thumb" style grapples is that you often need to reinforce the top of the bucket, something many cannot do by themselves.

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
Had a guy weld in 1/4 tube all the way across and put a couple hooks on the bucket already :)

Attachments

MLB04V

Equipment
B2650 ROPS, FEL
Apr 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA, USA
I very much appreciate everyone's input. I have decided to go with a dedicated grapple vs. an add on to my bucket. So far the 50" Wicked Root Grapple seems the be the best fit for my needs. http://www.everythingattachments.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ETA-CUT-SL-RG-50

This one seems to be a good balance between weight and durability for my B2650. Happy to look at others if anyone has a suggestion.

Thanks again for all your input.

macbma

Equipment
B2650HSD
Feb 13, 2017
Irwin, Pa, USA
I very much appreciate everyone's input. I have decided to go with a dedicated grapple vs. an add on to my bucket. So far the 50" Wicked Root Grapple seems the be the best fit for my needs. http://www.everythingattachments.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ETA-CUT-SL-RG-50

This one seems to be a good balance between weight and durability for my B2650. Happy to look at others if anyone has a suggestion.

Thanks again for all your input.
I am looking at getting the same ETA grapple this spring for my B2650. Once you get yours, can you please provide any feedback regarding the use/fit/function?

I am specifically interested in the hydraulic connections and hose lengths. I recently fitted a snow blade, and had some issues with the hose length; I solved the problem by adding some 90degree fittings on the hose just before the hydraulic connections.

bcuster

Equipment
Jul 10, 2015
State College, PA
I am looking at getting the same ETA grapple this spring for my B2650. Once you get yours, can you please provide any feedback regarding the use/fit/function?

I am specifically interested in the hydraulic connections and hose lengths. I recently fitted a snow blade, and had some issues with the hose length; I solved the problem by adding some 90degree fittings on the hose just before the hydraulic connections.
You guys will love this grapple! I did a TON of research and glad I chose this one. Give me a few days to get some hose measurements. I have the Kubota factory 3rd function valve installed, which uses a male and a female 3/8" NPT couplers. The switch to operate it is thumb operated, and mounted near the top of the loader control handle. I have found it easy to use. ETA can help you out with the connector choices if you've got a different manufacturer 3rdFV.

MLB04V

Equipment
B2650 ROPS, FEL
Apr 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA, USA
You guys will love this grapple! I did a TON of research and glad I chose this one. Give me a few days to get some hose measurements. I have the Kubota factory 3rd function valve installed, which uses a male and a female 3/8" NPT couplers. The switch to operate it is thumb operated, and mounted near the top of the loader control handle. I have found it easy to use. ETA can help you out with the connector choices if you've got a different manufacturer 3rdFV.
Thanks. I also have the Kubota factory 3rd valve installed with the 3/8" couplers. I am interested in your hose lengths when you have time.

bcuster

Equipment
Jul 10, 2015
State College, PA
Hose length is 60". They could be a few inches shorter, but with this length, there is no stress on the couplers.

afret

Equipment
L3901, MX5800, U55-4
May 7, 2015
North Idaho
One thing you might look at is the jaw opening dimension besides the weight of the grapple. A big jaw opening is really helpful if you're trying to grab a bunch of loose stuff like a pile of branches. I was thinking about the EA 50" grapple due to the light weight for my L3901 but got the 54" single lid grapple since the opening was 7" larger even though it's a bit heavier.