B2630 Tire Chain Question/experience???

cppB2630

Dec 15, 2018
port matilda, PA
Good Afternoon everyone, new here to the forum. A lot of information here and I love reading up and using all the information I can to help me when i have questions with my kubota!

Now I have a question of my own... Recently switch from a new holland guy to become the newest orange crew member. First off I love the tractor and there are no regrets at all with the switch. I found a new to me, low hour B2630 and pulled the trigger. Living in PA we get a mixture of weather and I wanted to be able to use the 2630 for a nice all around tractor to do not only my mowing but my plowing as well...

So here is the question. My tractor has a 60"MMM, all the research I am doing is telling me I need to run spacers on the rear to be able to put chains on my tractor. I start looking into spacers and they are telling me that I cannot use the spacers and the MMM. I believe the back rollers on the mower will interfere with the rear tires if the spacers are added. I also saw where some people cut their inner fender to allow for the clearance of the chains and they did not use the spacers after they modified their fenders. What is the best solution here??? I guess worse case scenario is i add the spacers in the winter time and take them off in the other months I am not plowing? Looking for opinions, solutions or if anyone knows what is the best option...

Attachments

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Good Afternoon everyone, new here to the forum. A lot of information here and I love reading up and using all the information I can to help me when i have questions with my kubota!

Now I have a question of my own... Recently switch from a new holland guy to become the newest orange crew member. First off I love the tractor and there are no regrets at all with the switch. I found a new to me, low hour B2630 and pulled the trigger. Living in PA we get a mixture of weather and I wanted to be able to use the 2630 for a nice all around tractor to do not only my mowing but my plowing as well...

So here is the question. My tractor has a 60"MMM, all the research I am doing is telling me I need to run spacers on the rear to be able to put chains on my tractor. I start looking into spacers and they are telling me that I cannot use the spacers and the MMM. I believe the back rollers on the mower will interfere with the rear tires if the spacers are added. I also saw where some people cut their inner fender to allow for the clearance of the chains and they did not use the spacers after they modified their fenders. What is the best solution here??? I guess worse case scenario is i add the spacers in the winter time and take them off in the other months I am not plowing? Looking for opinions, solutions or if anyone knows what is the best option...
Some Kubota tractors require spacers to install tire chains and some do not.

Spacers cause the tires to interfere with the anti scalp rollers or gage wheels on some tractor MMM combinations and some do not.

Some tire chains, if properly fitted and properly installed require less fender clearance than other tire chains.

I just bought, fitted, and installed HD F & R, two link ladder chains on my B3350. Kubota information says that spacers are required to install chains.

Prior to installation of the spacers, there was about 1 1/2" clearance between the standard sized R-4 tires and the fenders. I installed spacers because I have no MMM for this tractor and no immediate plans to buy one. The chains, that I bought would have fit without the spacers, if properly fitted and properly tightened, but there would have been little clearance, and the chains would strike the fenders if not properly tightened during installation.

What style of tires do you have? What is the clearance between your tires and the fenders?

There are newer, so-called Euro style tire chains that appear to need less fender clearance due to design of the chains and use of smaller, hardened chain. These chains might eliminate the need for spacers in your situation but you will need to investigate further.

If you go the spacer route, be advised that some spacers, including most (all?) spacers supplied by Kubota, are not easily installed/removed rendering seasonal installation/removal impractical. This is because the Kubota spacers require removal of the OEM wheel studs and installation of longer studs. This is time consuming and not something that one would want to do seasonally.

Go to tirechains.com to learn just about anything you might want to know about tire chains.

SDT

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Perhaps rubber chains are your answer.

I've had my rubber chains for almost 10 years now and still in reasonable shape. My neighbor kept his first pair on year round and got about 6 years on them before they succumbed to stumps, rocks and other debris. He liked them enough to buy a 2nd set. Traction is good enough to make it up some very steep driveways when plowing/blowing snow and they don't mark up driveways if your concerned about it. Being lighter in weight they are easier to handle during installation.

https://rubbertirechains.com/

cppB2630

Dec 15, 2018
port matilda, PA
Some Kubota tractors require spacers to install tire chains and some do not.

Spacers cause the tires to interfere with the anti scalp rollers or gage wheels on some tractor MMM combinations and some do not.

Some tire chains, if properly fitted and properly installed require less fender clearance than other tire chains.

I just bought, fitted, and installed HD F & R, two link ladder chains on my B3350. Kubota information says that spacers are required to install chains.

Prior to installation of the spacers, there was about 1 1/2" clearance between the standard sized R-4 tires and the fenders. I installed spacers because I have no MMM for this tractor and no immediate plans to buy one. The chains, that I bought would have fit without the spacers, if properly fitted and properly tightened, but there would have been little clearance, and the chains would strike the fenders if not properly tightened during installation.

What style of tires do you have? What is the clearance between your tires and the fenders?

There are newer, so-called Euro style tire chains that appear to need less fender clearance due to design of the chains and use of smaller, hardened chain. These chains might eliminate the need for spacers in your situation but you will need to investigate further.

If you go the spacer route, be advised that some spacers, including most (all?) spacers supplied by Kubota, are not easily installed/removed rendering seasonal installation/removal impractical. This is because the Kubota spacers require removal of the OEM wheel studs and installation of longer studs. This is time consuming and not something that one would want to do seasonally.

Go to tirechains.com to learn just about anything you might want to know about tire chains.

SDT

Currently wheel configuration is the R4's 12.4-16 for the size.

I was looking at the deck and it doesn't look like the wheels would interfere with the deck if spacers were used. With the deck in the full raised position it looks as though there would still be room... I will take some measurements asap and post them up on here with some pictures

John Lash

Equipment
B2100, B2650
Nov 23, 2017
Elizabeth, Pa.
I have a B2650. I wanted chains so I wanted spacers. Kubota's website said the 60" MMM would interfere with the rear tires if you used spacers...

I was where you are now. I figured I'd put them on for winter and take them off for mower use. I got Kubota spacers and got my chain clearance on the fenders. There is no interference with the MMM. Everything is fine.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I would buy a set and try them before buying spacers. I have turfs on my B2920 and run chains without spacers. There is not a lot of extra room but so far in 5 years, I have not had any problems with them hitting the fender. I run 2 link ladder type chains and keep them snug but not extremely tight.

cppB2630

Dec 15, 2018
port matilda, PA
I have a B2650. I wanted chains so I wanted spacers. Kubota's website said the 60" MMM would interfere with the rear tires if you used spacers...

I was where you are now. I figured I'd put them on for winter and take them off for mower use. I got Kubota spacers and got my chain clearance on the fenders. There is no interference with the MMM. Everything is fine.
What size spacer did you end up getting?

John Lash

Equipment
B2100, B2650
Nov 23, 2017
Elizabeth, Pa.
What size spacer did you end up getting?
I got the spacers that Kubota offers. They're either 1 3/8" or 1 5/8."

The chains might have just made it. The extra links at the end are the problem. I didn't want to cut them off. I didn't want to tear the fender up if something went wrong in the future either.

I got the Aquiline MPC chains. So far so good.

The build your Kubota website says no spacers with the 60" MMM or the 54" MMM. Dealer was surprised they worked, not even close to having a problem.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have a BX w/ R4's. I've used 2-link ladder chains without spacers for 5 years with no issues.

Granted it's close...

I also cheat/shift them to the outside, so the inside loop does not come very far down the sidewall of the tire.

Putting chains on is part art, part science.

For me, neatness doesn't count (can have extra "stuff" for outside loop since is smaller, and my tarp straps aren't symmetrical), and it's ALWAY better done in warmer weather!

Like BAP and SDT said, keep them tight.

I'd be apt to try it first.

Last edited: