B2620 tipped over, now smoking

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
A friend has a 1yr old B2620, I serviced it a few months ago for him and it was running fine. Oil change, UDT filters, fuel filters, etc.

He ran the machine for a few months with zero issues, then he got in a sticky situation on a side hill and tipped the machine on its side. He shut it down as it was rolling over before bailing.

Once he got it upright, he started it and it smoked a lot (as can be assumed from laying on the side). However, the issue is that it now smokes a whitish blue smoke upon startup (he's started it and used it a half dozen times since). It smokes more upon startup and cleans up once its running, but at WOT it will smoke a little as well. Never did this before the tip over.

My guess is that the quick shutdown combined with the machine being on its side somehow impacted the head/headgasket. Its possible the oil leaking past the rings while on its side caused it to hydrolock a little upon starting and it impacted the head/headgasket.

Any thoughts or have any of you seen this? The machine has LOW hours on it and I'm guessing its out of the Kubota warranty by now...

He'd rather not rip it apart for a little smoke, but then again preventing further damage is the right thing to do.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
From the sounds of it, he started it too soon after he got it back upright which caused the big black smoke at the first startup.

As far as the whitish blue smoke at startup, I have seen many tractors produce a little of that smoke right when it first starts up without them having been rolled over. If it is more than just a very little smoke and longer than right at startup, then that would be a problem.

Last edited:

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
White smoke usually indicates a antifreeze in the oil at least in a car. Got to check the oil even drain it and see if there's anything in there. Change oil filter while you're there and also check coolant level see what happens after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polishammer

Jul 22, 2014
Atlanta, GA
In diesel usually white smoke means unburned fuel durning startup. Blue smoke means burned oil. It is possible that there is still oil in the exhaust. How many hours did he run it since he flipped it?
Check the oil for coolant or fuel and check the coolant for oil. If those two check out, then you still probably have oil in exhaust that needs to burn off.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
May be he just needs to work it some,a few minutes here and there wont burn that oil out of the places it shouldnt be. Check air filter housing too.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Several scenarios are possible.

One: It just hasn't gotten hot enough to burn out all the residual oil out of the head or the intake, run it hard and hot for a while and it will clear up.

Two: It did hydro lock slightly on oil and bent a rod or two and it won't get any better but it probably won't get any worse.

Three: It hydro locked slightly on oil and did damage to the head or the head gasket, and yes will do more damage the more it runs!

Four: It hydro locked slightly on oil and broke either a ring or the land on the piston /pistons and yes will do more damage the more it runs!

Pull either the injectors or the glow plugs and check compression, if its off then tear into it very soon! ;)

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Several scenarios are possible.

One: It just hasn't gotten hot enough to burn out all the residual oil out of the head or the intake, run it hard and hot for a while and it will clear up.

Two: It did hydro lock slightly on oil and bent a rod or two and it won't get any better but it probably won't get any worse.

Three: It hydro locked slightly on oil and did damage to the head or the head gasket, and yes will do more damage the more it runs!

Four: It hydro locked slightly on oil and broke either a ring or the land on the piston /pistons and yes will do more damage the more it runs!

Pull either the injectors or the glow plugs and check compression, if its off then tear into it very soon! ;)
I agree with Wolfman that any of the above items could have happened. If you roll a tractor over, after uprighting it, you should let it sit several hours before trying to start it up. That allows any oil that might have flowed into the cylinders to drain back out.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I have a JD JS 48 push mower that I tipped up on it's side (not the side your supposed to) to clean the bottom.......and it smoked on startup for a long time before it finally cleaned itself out. Takes quite a while to burn the oil out of places it shouldn't be.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions. I suspect it just needs to be run more to clean things out, but will tell him to keep an eye on coolant in oil or oil in coolant. as well as bubbles in coolant.

Wolfman, thanks for the detail, I agree its likely one of those 4 scenarios, hopefully #1!

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
If it were me...
Considering what he's already got invested in the machine, I would change fluids and filters and check what drains out at the same time. Start fresh before risking further damage. I would also use ROPS and seat belt on hills from now on.