B2620 hst whining and won't move

docwatson1

Equipment
Brush Hog, box blade, tiller, loader attachment
May 7, 2017
Eagle Point
I have a 2013 B2620. Was tilling my garden the other day, got a little stuck and was rocking back and forth to free myself and started to hear a high pitched whining from underneath and then it wouldn't move anymore. I let it sit over night to let the oil cool down to thicken and was able to get it out of the garden, but as soon as it warms up the whining comes back and it won't move. I checked the fluid, and thinking it was low, overfilled it and it shot out the fill cap all over the back of the tractor. I have since change the fluid and filter, ran it and rechecked it for proper fill level, but have the same result. I did not use Kubota brand oil, but another brand that said it was safe for Kabota HST systems. With spring time here I really need my tractor.

docwatson1

Equipment
May 7, 2017
Eagle Point
really need my tractor

I have a 2013 B2620. Was tilling my garden the other day, got a little stuck and was rocking back and forth to free myself and started to hear a high pitched whining from underneath and then it wouldn't move anymore. I let it sit over night to let the oil cool down to thicken and was able to get it out of the garden, but as soon as it warms up the whining comes back and it won't move. I checked the fluid, and thinking it was low, overfilled it and it shot out the fill cap all over the back of the tractor. I have since change the fluid and filter, ran it and rechecked it for proper fill level, but have the same result. I did not use Kubota brand oil, but another brand that said it was safe for Kabota HST systems. With spring time here I really need my tractor.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Re: really need my tractor

"I did not use Kubota brand oil, but another brand that said it was safe for Kabota HST systems. With spring time here I really need my tractor."

I am going out on a limb.......this might be the problem!

docwatson1

Equipment
May 7, 2017
Eagle Point

I don't see anything! Am I suppose to click on the picture?

docwatson1

Equipment
May 7, 2017
Eagle Point

I think I understand now, your saying that I used the wrong oil

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
The oil you used, did it say it was Kubota SUD or SUDII compatible? Or just say it was ok to use in Kubota's? Also, when you were stuck what range did you have it in? Are the brakes stuck on?

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire

Not all hydraulic oils are compatible with Hydrostatic Transmissions.

Yoder

Dec 12, 2016
South East NC

It sounds like he was having the same problem with both oils . It would not work after it warmed up. I don't know the answer though as rocking should not hurt a hydro unless you overheated the fluid and damaged the pump. In general I don't like rocking it is tough on equipment .

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York

Aside from an oil with a different viscosity, I hope the whining wasnt your HST relief.

If you have the means, Id test hydraulic pressure and see what it is cold and warm.

docwatson1

Equipment
May 7, 2017
Eagle Point

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, i'm going to get some SUD or SUDII and try that. Like one of you said, I hope I didn't screw up the trany.

docwatson1

Equipment
May 7, 2017
Eagle Point
I was going to do just that get some SUD or SUDII and try that. Hopefully I didn't really mess something up. I'll let you know

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

You need to find out if the Clutch disk is not fried.
That will be the cheapest fix.

Start tractor, engage PTO, if when you try and move the tractor the PTO also stops you've fried the clutch. ;)

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
What gear range did you have the transmission in when you were stuck? I hope it was low.

galstaf

Equipment
B26
Sep 27, 2018
Stone Mountain
Hey I have a B26 doing the same thing. I didn't change anything.. it just got worse and worse until now it can barely move forwards or back.
Check the hydraulic fluid levels and they are fine.
The FEL and BH both work normally.

Can anyone help? How did the OP resolve his issue?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
OP when you changed the oil & filter originally, did you save the filter? If so, cut it open and have a look inside of it. Lots of metal=no bueno'. A LITTLE metal (iron filings) is acceptable-especially if it's the original filter. If you find brass/bronze in it, that is an indication of failing HST. You can cut it open by using a screwdriver to start a hole near the mounting base, then use a plier of some sort to work it around. Takes a while doing it that way but you get to see inside of it when you're done. Careful...the edges of the filter get sharp.

I keep a filter cutter at work for this reason. Local guy makes them.

The B26....you have another thread, use it.