b2601 vs lx2610

tobb14

Jun 13, 2023
salem al
I'm in the process of purchasing a kubota tractor and I've been doing my home work on the various models and I've narrowed it down to B2601, LX2610 or L2501.

I just purchased my retirement home that has 5 acres on it and it is semi wooded.
The jobs I think I need the tractor for is as follows:
- Light Landscaping
- Light farming (.25acre food plot)
- Brush hogging saplings
- Cutting Trails for walking
- Some tree stump removal

I started off thinking I needed the 2501 but took a look at an lx2601 and I really liked how close it was in specs to the 2501 but with better creature comforts i.e. seat and bucket controls in the right place. My new dilemma is the b2601. The only thing I can see that sets them apart is the lift capacity, the b2601 lifts roughly 50lbs less than the lx. My question now is based off my work description is the b2601 a better selection than the lx2610???

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
the difference in lift capacity is greater than 50 lbs. It's more like 200 plus pounds and the LX will also lift it higher.

The LX will have greater ground clearance and more torque (even though the HP is the same). LX will come with telescoping 3pt stabilizers (not sure if the B2601 does as well).

Edit: your description of needs indicates some "tree stump removal". What were you intending on using for that task? Stump grinder, backhoe or stump bucket?

Reactions: 1 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
owned both, put about 300 hours on a brand new B2601 in 9 months, sold it, purchased an LX and have been happy since. A B2601 is a BX with bigger tires, skip it. It is uncomfortable, and does not have much more, if any capability with the same cramped s**ty operator station. Save yourself the trouble, learn from all the money I lost, and buy the LX as your last tractor
; )

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

tobb14

Jun 13, 2023
salem al
the difference in lift capacity is greater than 50 lbs. It's more like 200 plus pounds and the LX will also lift it higher.

The LX will have greater ground clearance and more torque (even though the HP is the same). LX will come with telescoping 3pt stabilizers (not sure if the B2601 does as well).

Edit: your description of needs indicates some "tree stump removal". What were you intending on using for that task? Stump grinder, backhoe or stump bucket?
Thanks for the feedback I may have been looking at the LX2610SU model (the one I don't want) as far as lift but they should have been the same. Also I need to As for the tree stomp I was thinking a stump bucket. I wanted the grinder but it looked like I would have to purchase a larger tractor since it required a more hp out of the PTO. In addition once i finish my area out it would be hard finding uses for the grinder. With the stump bucket I was thinking I can dig out trees and use it for creating drainage channels
owned both, put about 300 hours on a brand new B2601 in 9 months, sold it, purchased an LX and have been happy since. A B2601 is a BX with bigger tires, skip it. It is uncomfortable, and does not have much more, if any capability with the same cramped s**ty operator station. Save yourself the trouble, learn from all the money I lost, and buy the LX as your last tractor
; )
Enough said message received. The fact that you owned both speaks volumes. Thanks as I was danger close to pulling the trigger on the b2601

Reactions: 2 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I'm in the process of purchasing a kubota tractor and I've been doing my home work on the various models and I've narrowed it down to B2601, LX2610 or L2501.

I just purchased my retirement home that has 5 acres on it and it is semi wooded.
The jobs I think I need the tractor for is as follows:
- Light Landscaping
- Light farming (.25acre food plot)
- Brush hogging saplings
- Cutting Trails for walking
- Some tree stump removal

I started off thinking I needed the 2501 but took a look at an lx2601 and I really liked how close it was in specs to the 2501 but with better creature comforts i.e. seat and bucket controls in the right place. My new dilemma is the b2601. The only thing I can see that sets them apart is the lift capacity, the b2601 lifts roughly 50lbs less than the lx. My question now is based off my work description is the b2601 a better selection than the lx2610???
From the jobs you have listed, the only item that appears it could be an issue is tree stump removal. How large are the trees and how are you planning on removing them.

I previously owned a B2601 and it was a great tractor that performed extremely well. I upgraded from a B2601 to a L2501 because I needed a larger tractor with more lift capacity and weight for ground engagement work and tree stump removal. But, it sounds like the LX would be a good choice for you and your property.

Mike

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
; )
How did you loose money selling the B2601? Did you trade it in to the dealer?

I sold mine privately for what I paid new minus taxes. And heck, if I preferred not to honor my word and let it go to a guy after I made a deal, I could have sold it to another guy for the original purchase price (including taxes) plus $2K.

Mike

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Enough said message received. The fact that you owned both speaks volumes. Thanks as I was danger close to pulling the trigger on the b2601
There’s nothing wrong with the B2601. It’s a great tractor and when compared to its larger siblings, in most cases, it’ll do all the same work but, take you longer to get the job done. You’re retired…so that shouldn’t be a concern ;).

You have a bunch of great choices…the ideal tractor is likely the LX but, like I said, there’s nothing wrong with the B….plus ANY tractor is better than NO tractor!

Mike

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
agree with @Rdrcr, if OP needs weight prob an L (I dont have any experience with an L) but if going to be driving over lawns, septic systems ect, i would opt for lighter, more refined LX

regarding B2601, purchased for 20, sold it for 16, plus dealing with implements, 3rd function and rear valves. Covid buying hysteria was real on the internet, but getting someone to produce a bag of actual cash while all they can afford is a monthly payment from a dealership is a tall order around here...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

tobb14

Jun 13, 2023
salem al
agree with @Rdrcr, if OP needs weight prob an L (I dont have any experience with an L) but if going to be driving over lawns, septic systems etc, i would opt for lighter, more refined LX

purchased for 20, sold it for 16, plus dealing with implements, 3rd function and rear valves. Covid buying hysteria was real on the internet, but getting someone to produce a bag of actual cash while all they can afford is a monthly payment from a dealership is a tall order around here...
I was leaning more towards the LX anyways but saw a B2601, it was the right size and height that I was looking for and I was wondering how close were the specs to the LX2610. I can see what the site says but wanted to get some first hand feedback on the B2601 from actual owners. I wanted to get a tractor that could lift at least 1,000lbs just in case I get a heavy log that I have to remove. Now that I think about it I can just cut it into smaller pieces. I think I will let the price dictate. I just went back to check the lift specs on the B and LX and it's roughly 100lbs not sure if that's enough to make me spend an additional $1,000 bucks.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
The footprint of the LX vs the B2601 is not perceivable while operating, they will turn and occupy the same space. My heavily wooded property is tight, which is why I opted for the B2601 initially. If you buy the SU you lose the nicer seat (can add that later) and lose the mid PTO which may or may not be of value to you. The very small premium to move to LX from B2601 is worth it. I dont even know why they make B2601. The L may not be as refined but you are picking up a lot of weight (I have no experience with L though)

The biggest gain for (myself) moving to the LX was the comfort of the operation station. There is more room everywhere, floor, controls, better seat ect. The B2601 killed me after more than a few hours in the seat. It is cramped. Additionally, because its cramped, the optional rear valve controls fall out under the arm rest, so if you are manipulating the rear valves, and the seat bounces, it smashes down on your fingers. Just tons of fun on that thing

For stumps I used same stump grinder on BX, B2601 and LX.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Quick tip:

That loader model number tells you its lifting capacity in kg's. Take the loader model number and multiply by 2.2. That will tell you roughly what Kubota states that it will lift (to full height) in lbs. They do lift considerably more weight off the ground, but not to full height.

Stump grinder- you would have plenty of PTO HP to turn one with either of the tractors you select. Several of us have them for our B and LX series tractors. They work pretty well. Check out the woodland mills WG24. I have no experience with a stump bucket but I personally wouldn't want to use one to dig out a stump of any real size. That's just one of the jobs that backhoes and mini-ex's are made for.

Best of luck to you in your decision.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^^
I’m sure stump removal is much easier with a BH or mini-x but;
IMG_4190.jpeg

I leave the stumps a little tall for leverage to loosen them up and dig them up with the front loader. It’s a ton of work but gets the job done. This work was done with my L2501. The B2601 didn’t have enough weight and lift capacity to get these out of the ground.

Mike

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
I've had my lx2610 on my 7 acre hobby farm for about 2 months now. An arctic cat 700 atv and John Deere B was my work horse before that. I look at tractors, trucks, and pole barns all the same...... it's easier to get bigger right away and have it than realize " well shoot wish I had more power or room" I wanted a mid mount mower, and the emissions is what dropped me down from an l to the lx. For my needs I didn't bother to look at a bx. They work for some people and others they don't and respect that. So far no regrets on the lx.

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Stump grinder vs. stump bucket: Alot depends on both the size of the tree and the condition/type of ground that the trees are in. I have a lot of 100+ yr old cottonwood, ash, etc. on this farmstead. The old trees are now starting to die off.

Here's a cottonwood that was failing, so I dropped it before it fell on the house. I need a bigger chain saw!!
IMG_8175 (2).JPG To get it low enough for the Woodland Mills stump grinder it had to be cut up like a cake! :)

When cut low enough for the grinder it was a little over 5 ft across at the base.
IMG_8176 (2).JPG

I was smart enough this time to check for buried metal with the metal detector before spooling up the stump grinder...... darn pioneers that left things laying around at the base of trees!! :ROFLMAO:
IMG_8180 (2).JPG
Shortly after the WG24 was spooled up behind the B2650 and black fill dirt spread in the hole....it was ready for some grass seed.
IMG_8181 (2).JPG

The Woodland Mills WG24 earns its keep around here!

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Any of the three will do what you want. I’ve got a B2601 and an L3830. IMO the BX isnt in the running with low ground clearance, 2 speed HST and “inching” 3 point control, as well as low capacity FEL. Do you have much side hill on your place? If you do and you want to brush hog it, you might like the B as it’s closer to the ground and “feels” less tippy (than say my higher ground clearance L). If you’re ever thinking of a mid mount mower, you’ll want the mid PTO, which the B and LX have, the standard Ls don’t. On my place the B just mows, the L does everything else.

I’m average height, stocky build, the B fits me ok, but my L definitely has scads more room.

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Personally I'd go with the lx. I did figuring I needed a b2601, and as the old saying goes buy more tractor than you think you'll need. Although not much larger the lx is a bit more capable. Mine was purchased for ground work and stump removal same as you are planning. I also now use it to lift everything over 100lbs on the property. It's making me lazy.

I have been consistently maxing out my tractor. That 50lbs on the FEL may not seem like much, but pulling stumps thay can be the difference between release and more digging. In all other tasks it can mean the difference in lifting a load or not. The Lx is also a bit heavier which as I have quickly discovered weight is everything with these little tractors. Especially in my soil. Wheel spacers and tire ballast have quickly jumped up my priority list.

For a $1000 price difference I didn't and wouldn't look back on a B series if I were you. I would consider an l2501 for the extra weight even lacking the extra features before I'd give an inch of capability. My sister has a l2501 and I was willing to sacrifice the features for a bit of money savings initially but went with the lx mostly due to local availability rather than those features.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The LX is the old B2650. This table shows metrics, the LX is about 15-20% more in every metric. 19% more on the 3ph, 25% more on the loader. The percentages aren't everything though, it's a fair bit more tractor. None of the tasks you describe are beyond a B2601, but I don't think I'd brush hog with mine. You'd need a pretty small cutter because they stick out so far they move the machine around a fair bit.

The table says 75kg more at 500mm forward on the FEL. That's 150lbs, not 50. And remember that the metric excludes the bucket/forks/SSQA etc, so 150lbs is actually a pretty big percentage of your true lift capacity.

Having said that, people get too worried about specs. The B2601 will lift a bucket full of anything you're likely to put in the bucket. So will the LX. It's just that the LX bucket is a bit bigger, because the LX lifts a bit more. In the real world you'll not notice that 20% more in the bucket, unless you're someone who can consistently fill your bucket perfectly each time. If you're lifting with your forks it may be different - particularly if there's something you want to lift that is heavier than the B2601 can lift. But usually you can find another way, and there's always at least one thing you want to lift that the tractor won't lift, even if you have an M. Dad had a big Kioti 100hp, and we still found things it couldn't lift (like when we wanted to move one of his sheds....)

I do feel that the L is potentially better buying for you, but the LX is close and does have some nice comfort features, it's hard to go wrong.

Last edited:

tobb14

Jun 13, 2023
salem al
^^^^^
I’m sure stump removal is much easier with a BH or mini-x but;
View attachment 104914
I leave the stumps a little tall for leverage to loosen them up and dig them up with the front loader. It’s a ton of work but gets the job done. This work was done with my L2501. The B2601 didn’t have enough weight and lift capacity to get these out of the ground.

Mike
Pictures are worth a 1000 words. I was really trying to avoid the L2501 as I thought is was too big. But this has come in several conversations. I want the LX/B size but after seeing the B2601 today weight may be an issue. I don't know if it can handle a stomp grinder

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
B2601 can certainly handle a stump grinder, at least the WG24 that i used with it.

the biggest thing about BX & B2601 is finding room for adult sized work boots on the deck, and an adult in the operator seat : )

• Haha

tobb14

Jun 13, 2023
salem al
The LX is the old B2650. This table shows metrics, the LX is about 15-20% more in every metric. 19% more on the 3ph, 25% more on the loader. The percentages aren't everything though, it's a fair bit more tractor. None of the tasks you describe are beyond a B2601, but I don't think I'd brush hog with mine. You'd need a pretty small cutter because they stick out so far they move the machine around a fair bit.

The table says 75kg more at 500mm forward on the FEL. That's 150lbs, not 50. And remember that the metric excludes the bucket/forks/SSQA etc, so 150lbs is actually a pretty big percentage of your true lift capacity.

Having said that, people get too worried about specs. The B2601 will lift a bucket full of anything you're likely to put in the bucket. So will the LX. It's just that the LX bucket is a bit bigger, because the LX lifts a bit more. In the real world you'll not notice that 20% more in the bucket, unless you're someone who can consistently fill your bucket perfectly each time. If you're lifting with your forks it may be different - particularly if there's something you want to lift that is heavier than the B2601 can lift. But usually you can find another way, and there's always at least one thing you want to lift that the tractor won't lift, even if you have an M. Dad had a big Kioti 100hp, and we still found things it couldn't lift (like when we wanted to move one of his sheds....)

I do feel that the L is potentially better buying for you, but the LX is close and does have some nice comfort features, it's hard to go wrong.

Thanks for the feedback and the L2501 just keeps coming up. I just love the seat layout on the LX and the location of the control vs the L2501. I know the L2501 is a workhorse but I do want some of the creature comforts that the LX provides. I also like the look and size of the B2601, I'm just unclear on if it has enough ass to digout stumps and run a brushog effectively even if it is a 4ft rotary cutter

Reactions: 1 user