B2601 theft deterent

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Looked at the wiring diagram and was considering adding a toggle switch to the hst safety circuit. If the circuit is open then no power can reach the starter solenoid. I know it won't stop everyone but maybe one. Also adding tractor to my house insurance. Any thoughts?

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
There were some discussions earlier on insurance. My country homeowners policy had an automatic $10k and I was able to add another $20k for a total of $30k and have the Kabota as a line item, cost an additional $72 per year.
Theft is not a big concern around here, dog let's us know if anything is amiss and 9mm deters miscreants. Most everyone is armed in our state and crooks know it.

OrangeColoredTractor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 L2501 4WD HST
May 10, 2017
Washington
Look into a "jo jack", they make them for just these rigs and also, a large fusible link, I think they are the green 40 amps, buy a spare and 'blow" it, then install that to deter a thief, he usually doesn't have enough time to do electrical troubleshooting while you load up the shotgun. :eek:;)

Last edited:

geoff

Equipment
b2410 tractor, FM90 topper,RS1200 cultivator,bearcat 4 inch chipper,b1610.
Jul 7, 2017
essex uk.
Here in the UK few are legally armed, and your in all sorts of trouble if you stand up against a thief with the law, it's madness!
Any detterant either on the machine or in its surroundings has to be a good thing.
Some over here are quite imaginative in how they set up methods to slow up a thief, and make him wish he had tried somewhere else!

Forvols

Jan 28, 2017
Hawkins county TN
Here in the UK few are legally armed, and your in all sorts of trouble if you stand up against a thief with the law, it's madness!
Any detterant either on the machine or in its surroundings has to be a good thing.
Some over here are quite imaginative in how they set up methods to slow up a thief, and make him wish he had tried somewhere else!
That is sad, but hear what you are saying. Get a couple of nasty looking medieval weapons. An axe handle or piece of 2x4 with nails hammered into it. No a cricket bat..yeah16penny nails drive through the end. At least make the thief poop himself and hold for the cops. Or swing away, due to his radical actions and physical threating action to you and protecting yourself.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Not worried about it being taken while I'm home. Have a dog and he will warn us of people on the property. It's when I'm not home.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Good one. Is that really an official welcome sign? When they passed the law here that you did not need a permit to carry concealed there were bumper stickers: "Welcome to Wyoming where everyone is armed".
As for the UK people, once you protect your property with force and get arrested you join the privileged group the authorities protect.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I guess you could rig up a battery disconnect solenoid and hide the switch someplace like under the hood or some place not ready seen. In the end if they want it they will get it, a tiltbed is all it takes

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This caught my eye and I just had to share the welcome signs that are showing up in some of Idaho entry points.
This is one of my reasons for living here! :D

Sorry AU, EU, an CA, But we like being able to protect ourselves in most of the US. ;)

Main fuse down by the starter, pull it and it's dead in the water!

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Do people really steal tractors? I saw on a Honda ATV forum about having ATVs stolen and the lengths owners go to to secure their machines. Foreign to our way of life here, we leave the shed unlocked so that if someone runs out of gas out here they can take some. People leave their cars running on cold days when they run into the post office. I guess that is what comes from having an armed population, crooks and thieves don't prosper in our area.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
This caught my eye and I just had to share the welcome signs that are showing up in some of Idaho entry points.
I love the sign :D:D Wish they would do something like that here in Arkansas. The majority of people here have weapons, and more and more are going through the conceal carry classes :D

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I love the sign :D:D Wish they would do something like that here in Arkansas. The majority of people here have weapons, and more and more are going through the conceal carry classes :D
NIW could possibly confirm.... but assume the sign is a photochopped one. Like it though.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Do people really steal tractors? I saw on a Honda ATV forum about having ATVs stolen and the lengths owners go to to secure their machines. Foreign to our way of life here, we leave the shed unlocked so that if someone runs out of gas out here they can take some. People leave their cars running on cold days when they run into the post office. I guess that is what comes from having an armed population, crooks and thieves don't prosper in our area.
Short answer is yes :eek: You will occasionally see adds offering rewards for info on someone's stolen tractor on Craigslist.

Equipment theft is big business in some areas not to far from ports. Some of the contractors I worked with in Florida had big pieces of equipment stolen. Large trackhoes, dozers, loaders, and backhoes. There were plenty of fishing accesses along the coast that could accommodate a barge. Once it was on a barge, it could travel out and then meet a larger ship.

Here, it's atv's, utv's, and mowers that walk off more often then tractors. Mini excavators tend to walk off more then tractors here as well.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
NIW could possibly confirm.... but assume the sign is a photochopped one. Like it though.
There are several fakes out there just like this... But it is the way it is up here! :D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It is a sad fact stuff gets stolen all the time, I guy I worked with had a set of disks and spring harrow stolen in one week from the shed behind his barn, while he was at work. If they want it,,, they got it

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I have a cousin that has a Dairy Farm and during the winter stores some of his implements in a shed on some of the land he uses. The shed is 40 feet from a main road. In the spring they went to get out their pull behind John Deere forage chopper and it was gone. It was never found. A few years ago, one of the local Kubota/ New Holland/ CaseIh dealer had an excavator and skid steer stolen out of their lot. They networked with other dealers and auction yards around the Northeast and the culprits were arrested when they showed up at a auction yard about 200 miles away trying to sell them. I don’t know if all manufacturers have gone to doing this, but a few years ago, John Deere started laser etching a second copy of the serial number in a hidden location on their equipment that is very hard to find unless you know where to look. It is supposed to be impossible to completely grind off because it goes in deep in the metal. This is to allow a record if machine is stolen and the other serial numbers are removed.

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
Most lawn equipment manufacturers uses the same key on many tractors, and you can buy it online.

Use a punch kit to put an identifying mark on your equipment, once in a secret place, once in a visible place.

The British had a major problem with equipment theft, when the Police began marking equipment (for free) it stopped...