B2601 Rotary Tiller suggestions

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
You are correct to a point. I did approach my KUBOTA dealer and the response I got was that the 58" Land Pride was too big for my tractor. That's why I'm doing my own research and asking questions on this forum where I'm getting real world experiences.
Dealer knowledge is an entirely different thing compared to manufacturer knowledge. I really like the salesman who I purchased both MXs from, but he told a friend that he didn't need three rear remotes on his L4060. What a crock! What he should have said is you don't need three, you need four!

Kubota dealers are all over the map in terms of their knowledge and expertise. The manager and one of the sales guys at the local dealership are incredibly knowledgeable, so when it matters I ask them. They're not infallible though.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Thanks for your advice. This is real world experience.
So real world experience from a member whom I highly respect aligns with Land Pride and Kubota's recommendations ... go figure!

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
When it comes to soil, there is huge difference between areas….if you have rocks or shallow soil to bedrock or heavy/compacted clay/etc. so a lot of things will sort of depend. If it’s wet out, it most likely isn’t not going to leave a nice soft fluffy seedbed(that doesn’t matter what size machine you have or the implement) I think if you plan to till compacted untilled ground in a single pass the B may not meet your expectation. Regardless of how wide it is. If you don’t mind letting the machine / implement tell you when your too aggressive/happy with the throttle and either not take as deep a cut or as a fast a cut, then you will be very happy so long as you have enough soil before you get to down to bedrock(if that is an issue in your area?). After you first break ground the the first year, year after year will be a breeze…first time you could expect to make several passes. I have a LP for my B and another for my MX. they are both sized appropriately for the machine…IMO this is where a smaller tractor with HST is superior. You can fit in gardens and can creep as slow as you like to get a good turnover of the soil….it will leave an awesome seedbed. If you cut or scrape the grass off first it will help. If you till the grass in you may be left with clods that will not be appreciated when you try to plant….just IMO….but I am not sure about the uniqueness of your soil/conditions. I can tell you if I were to do it over again I would only have the tiller for my B.

Reactions: 2 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Steve are you from the Ottawa valley? If you are I have to assume that you have some pretty sandy soil. That being said you might go deep first couple passes. Main thing is to think the job through and think it again. Bad things happen with reckless disreguard to what you are doing,,,,, Don't ask ;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well 737, some guys dont care about their equipment and go balls to the walls out on it. Can most tillers take that kind of abuse, more than likely. But why risk busting something just to prove a point on how tuff things are. I spent much of my hard earned money when I was young, on hotrod parts left along the highway because something broke. I found out you dont have to flog it to death for it to do what you want it to do. That goes for hotrods and tractors,, just MHO you understand

Reactions: 1 users

SteveYOW

Equipment
B2601
Sep 1, 2022
Ottawa
I really appreciate everyone's reply. I'm now more knowledgeable and confident in my decision.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
Well 737, some guys dont care about their equipment and go balls to the walls out on it. Can most tillers take that kind of abuse, more than likely. But why risk busting something just to prove a point on how tuff things are. I spent much of my hard earned money when I was young, on hotrod parts left along the highway because something broke. I found out you dont have to flog it to death for it to do what you want it to do. That goes for hotrods and tractors,, just MHO you understand
I hear you skeets, there is no reason to abuse or run hard. As long as you aren't tilling bedrock, compacted soil is no big deal for the particular set up in question. Especially for homeowner / non-commercial application. The garden I made from concrete (first photo), took ~3 passes. If you are running a tiller on a tiny tractor, it's safe to assume we're not in a hurry.

just like @rc51stierhoff mentioned, the machine, and tiller will communicate to you what pace you need to be going. Can you go .25 MPH or 1 MPH? :)

But someone, without the equipment in question, opining "proceed with caution, serious power need only apply" :rolleyes: gmab

Ton

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2022
MD
I run a 55" tiller on my BX2380. A lot of folks say I shouldn't do that. But the dirt on multiple properties doesn't seem to care too much at all that I'm 7" out of spec. :)

Sure, it'll notice particularly wet/thick soil, and when I see the PTO speed drop a bit, I just slow down in those spots, the RPMs go right back up, and away she goes...albeit a hair slower in travel speed. I lose a bit on efficiency marks, but she still gets the job done.

I guess my whole point here is don't fret about being slightly out of spec or not. It'll be fine, especially if you don't have a need for commercial-level efficiency. I bought my tractor to work, and work she shall.

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
wow @ some of the above advice, I'm amazed how some get any actual work done, why bother owning a tractor?? Wouldn't want to "work that tiller too hard!" :rolleyes: 😂

I have tilled ground so hard, so compacted, that it was bending metal stakes when trying to hammer them in.

Without looking at it, I believe the RTA1258 is 6 tines(?) (I'm guessing cause it's out in the shed). The B2601 has absolutely no trouble with it, I have tilled everything from old neglected pastures, to what was once woods, and turned into lawn. I have run it into trash, rocks, stumps, roots.... Does the B2601 turn it like the LX3310? No, but the B2601 does a perfectly acceptable job with a RTA1258.

@B737, that's a fine garden space. May I ask what you're growing there? And how do you deal with weeds and keeping everything "clean" during growing season?

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
None of those are on my property, each different locations / different conditions. I just did the work for friends at their request. Most grew corn, berries, tomatoes, peppers, green beans, and carrots etc