B2601 Belly mower blades spinning on spindles

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I've always given my B2601 mower a pretty hard time - I mow some rough pasture sometimes. That can overload the mower, which I did again the other day. I had a big clump of grass got stuck, which then caused one of the blades to spin on the spindle (accompanied with some smoke).

I've dismantled and reassembled the blades, one of them spins reasonably freely (i.e. when you turn the blade by hand, it spins rather than forcing the pulleys around - so not much friction at all).

They look to be a friction fit - there's a spline onto the spindle, but the spline isn't keyed onto the blade itself, so the blade can spin between the washers, the cup that covers the spindle, and the face of the spindle.

I dismantled again and swapped the bolt, the cup, the washers and the blades around between the spindles, it's better but it's still a bit loose.

In theory I think I could improve this by just adding a bit of thickness - another washer, or even some paint between the washers to give it a bit of stickiness (it seems they've worn very smooth and frictionless). But the better answer is probably replacing some of the parts - the question is which ones.

Has anyone had this problem before / have a view on how best to resolve it?

My logic is that it's actually made to spin when it has to - otherwise it'd have to force the pulleys to spin under the belt when the blades jam, which would be more damaging.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I've always given my B2601 mower a pretty hard time - I mow some rough pasture sometimes. That can overload the mower, which I did again the other day. I had a big clump of grass got stuck, which then caused one of the blades to spin on the spindle (accompanied with some smoke).

I've dismantled and reassembled the blades, one of them spins reasonably freely (i.e. when you turn the blade by hand, it spins rather than forcing the pulleys around - so not much friction at all).

They look to be a friction fit - there's a spline onto the spindle, but the spline isn't keyed onto the blade itself, so the blade can spin between the washers, the cup that covers the spindle, and the face of the spindle.

I dismantled again and swapped the bolt, the cup, the washers and the blades around between the spindles, it's better but it's still a bit loose.

In theory I think I could improve this by just adding a bit of thickness - another washer, or even some paint between the washers to give it a bit of stickiness (it seems they've worn very smooth and frictionless). But the better answer is probably replacing some of the parts - the question is which ones.

My logic is that it's actually made to spin when it has to - otherwise it'd have to force the pulleys to spin under the belt when the blades jam, which would be more damaging.
Based on other RCK decks my guess is you have the cup washers oriented wrong. They are the source of the friction and the blades should not spin without turning the pullys.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada

It is time to learn about BELLEVILLE washers.
Wkipedia has an excellent article about the many ways washers can be oriented to achieve different results.
BELLEVILLE

Dave

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Yep, those washers are convex (bowed upward) so they flex down like the trailer on a 18 wheel trailer! Replace them and you'll have more friction.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Ah, there you go. Didn't even know they were cup washers, they look kinda flat. That should be an easy enough fix. And if they have lost their cup through the various things I've done to them (like spinning them till they're on fire hot, so they lose their temper perhaps), I can just get new ones.

Any insight into the correct installation orientation? I'm assuming both stacked in the same orientation, with the hollow of the cup against the blade (if the hollow is away from the blade, I think they'll do nothing). I will watch the video above which might explain the correct orientation, but just not today.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Ah, there you go. Didn't even know they were cup washers, they look kinda flat. That should be an easy enough fix. And if they have lost their cup through the various things I've done to them (like spinning them till they're on fire hot, so they lose their temper perhaps), I can just get new ones.
I keep a few spare washers on hand along with one or two of the special bolts for those (always inconvenient) occasions when one breaks or comes loose and runs away from home.

Dan

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It is time to learn about BELLEVILLE washers.
Wkipedia has an excellent article about the many ways washers can be oriented to achieve different results.
BELLEVILLE

Dave
My experience has been that once the blade starts spinning, it elongates the blade hole and no amount of Belleville washers and torque can keep the blade tight.
Try a new blade and blade bolt and with the proper washers your problem will be solved
Dave