B2320 Steering Drag Link Failure

Tim Stafford

Equipment
B2320 with FEL and MMM
Sep 9, 2015
Stafford, VA
My drag link assembly/steering control arm (part 6C140-57712) for my B2320 has now failed at the front end ball joint for the 2nd time in 5 years. I shrugged the 1st one off as just a bad ball joint, but now as the pattern has repeated itself in an approximately 2.5 year pattern, was wondering if any one else is seeing this problem. This has been the only parts failure I've experienced with this tractor. The ball joint fails at the 1st - 2nd thread on the shaft. I mow 3 acres weekly and work it with other projects, but don't believe my tasks would input any more stress than normal.

jnschnit

Equipment
B2601, BH70 BH, LA435 FL, RCK60-32 MMM, BX2763 Blade, ZD1011
May 10, 2013
newark valley new york
I have not had any problems with my 2008 B2620. I mow about 4+ acres a week of basically bumpy field.

ChugginBy

Equipment
2014 Kubota B2320 w/loader
Oct 9, 2015
Cumberland, Va, US
Funny I would run across this problem today as I had the same.e failure just yesterday. Only difference is it was the back link. Its a 2014 B2320 and the warranty ran out 2 weeks ago. You a DIY type? Got an estimate today for $300. P&L. COULD SAVE $130 IF I do it. Doesn't look all that hard. I do feel this might become a trend. ANYBODY else?

Tim Stafford

Equipment
B2320 with FEL and MMM
Sep 9, 2015
Stafford, VA
Funny I would run across this problem today as I had the same.e failure just yesterday. Only difference is it was the back link. Its a 2014 B2320 and the warranty ran out 2 weeks ago. You a DIY type? Got an estimate today for $300. P&L. COULD SAVE $130 IF I do it. Doesn't look all that hard. I do feel this might become a trend. ANYBODY else?
Sorry, didn't get much response to this question and quit looking, you probably got it fixed by now. The link is easy to replace, about 15 minutes. Hardest parts are breaking the back bolt with little room (doesn't apply to you) and to get the carter pin through the bolt with little space and no vision of the hole. Kubota tells me this part is on 20 models and never breaks, so no help from them at all!!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Stud breaking off below taper ?
If this is the case,then i would think its not tightened correctly or tapers dont match.
Only other way that i could see it breaking is wheel turning stop is before steering box reaches its end limit. Or tagging a tree with wheels cranked.

Many tie rods have a spacer/washer between nut and knuckle, to pull taper in before threads run out.

Last edited:

wab85

Equipment
RTV900, L3830, B2620
Jun 11, 2017
Wabash, IN, USA
I have a B2620 bought new in 2010. The steering drag link broke at the front end while mowing (MMM). The break is right at the top of the threads, so threaded part with split nut and cotter pin is gone. The hole in the casting where the ball joint goes thru appears to be a bit out of round so I will replace it also. All parts are ordered and should be here Wed. 6-14-17.
KW

schuman22

Sep 6, 2017
Talbott, TN
I have had the same issue with my 2010 B2620. Ball joint keeps breaking where it connects to steering pitman arm. Bought the tractor end of Sept. 2010, first draglink failure occurred 9-9-14 almost exactly 4 years after purchase. Second one just failed on 9-4-17 almost exactly 3 years after replacing the first one. Both times there has been a carbon spot easily visible inside where the threads break off. Tells me the bolts are bad and will break.

Kaminnic

Jul 10, 2019
Guy, Tx
I have a B7500 and have had problems with the Steering Drag Link several times. The first time I was able to thread another nut on and it lasted for awhile. Was out mowing today and just had the bolt break to where I can no longer put another nut on and will have to buy the whole assembly. I do not understand why this continues to be a problem especially when it has never felt to have been in a bind and I have never hit or jarred the wheel for this to have been an issue. This is the only problem I have ever had besides the normal maintenance.