B2320/B2620 Backhoe

forestt

Jan 21, 2012
Metchosin, Vancouver Island, BC
I'm looking at getting my first tractor, Yay, and a backhoe is a requirement for the work I want to do. I know that as a rule bigger is better, but due to money issues and wanting to stay small enough for ease of transport, I'd like to get some idea if this will be enough backhoe for the majority of the work I want to do. The videos I've seen are all digging in rather nice loamy soil, whereas my property is more pickaxe type of digging, harder soil with rocks. Anyone out there have one of these smaller backhoes and done this type of digging?

Thanks

mlatour3300

Equipment
B3300SU
Dec 18, 2011
west lafayette, indiana
I'm looking at getting my first tractor, Yay, and a backhoe is a requirement for the work I want to do. I know that as a rule bigger is better, but due to money issues and wanting to stay small enough for ease of transport, I'd like to get some idea if this will be enough backhoe for the majority of the work I want to do. The videos I've seen are all digging in rather nice loamy soil, whereas my property is more pickaxe type of digging, harder soil with rocks. Anyone out there have one of these smaller backhoes and done this type of digging?

Thanks
I have played/worked on a wide range of machines in the size range you are looking and would suggest trying your best to test them and then make the purchase. If that is not available, I would certainly look at something with a second hydro pump (believe that is the case on the B2620, not sure), but you have a little more hydro plus a nicer cooling system.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I have a small backhoe driven by a PTO pump. I like to tell folks it's small but beats the pants off of a pick and shovel. My ground is hard clay and rocks. It digs fine, but progress will be slow compared to a bigger machine or excavator. Every scoop is smaller, the bucket will clog more often, and your boom reach is shorter. But you can do it just fine if you have the time. Much slower than an excavator, much faster than a pick and shovel. Just a matter of perspective. Mine has paid for itself no question.

WingNut

Equipment
L2850 Kubota c/w Loader
Feb 29, 2012
Northern Ontario
I am also looking at purchasing a Kubota loader backhoe as I have recently purchased 100 acres and need to improve a very rough road into a natural clearing in the center of the property.
This will involve spreading gravel and putting in several culverts.
What is the smallest (hence cheapest) size machine I should be looking at.
Money is tight so already looking at used stuff.

forestt

Jan 21, 2012
Metchosin, Vancouver Island, BC
Hey wingnut, I can give you my experience however limited.

After reading the forum, and the dealer also gave me the name of a guy who had bought the same tractor, he was using it for the same purpose and gave a glowing report of the tractor and Kubota, I bought the B2620. The only smaller tractor that has a backhoe aside from the B2320(which is pretty much the same size just less HP) is the BX25, and I knew from just looking at it that I wanted something bigger.
I knew I was going to use the backhoe to its capacity what ever I bought so I wanted the biggest I could get given a tight budget, plus wanting to stay small enough for easier transport and maneuverability in some tight spots on my property. The BX25 is the best seller at this dealer but they call it an "estate" tractor, used mostly for grass cutting with a little back hoe work. My main use at this point is the backhoe.

Used tractors on Vancouver Island are in short supply, and when they do come around they don't usually have a backhoe attachment which means I would have had to go with an after market backhoe, which I wanted to stay away from.

Anyway I had to by new, but the resale value is so high, I could almost use it for 5 years and then make money when I sold it. :)

Hope that helps.

By the way I noticed you are from Northern Ontario, I grew up in The Soo.