B2150hst How to Control FEL Speed

NorCalOrange

Equipment
B2150HST, Brush Hog, FEL, Post Hole Digger
Mar 24, 2019
Newcastle, Ca.
Want to slow down the FEL and Bucket speed when raising and lowering. Going to use the tractor for lifting solar panels on the roof and a neighbor will be operating the tractor. He also has a Kubota but is far less experienced and has a new Kubota which I suspect will feel much different then operating my B2150.

I know their is a small hydro oil flow control valve on the right side of tractor that the FEL lines feed through. If limiting oil flow to the FEL I suspect that also reduces lift force, FEL power so to speak.

Suggestions? I would feel more comfortable if the FEL was slower to make it easier and reduce possible damage to the house roof and solar panels. The B2150 has a Woods FEL and its always seemed very quick, very responsive.

Found this from another site. Im unsure if reducing oil flow with the "DV" valve can create problems:

is Pressure Out(Power), 2 is return(Neutral ie Tank) In, and 3 (Power Beyond In). 3 is what supplies hydraulic fluid to the rear 3-point hitch. When the FEL is on the tractor there is a flow directional valve on the tractor valve block that has to be turned fully clockwise. This routes the pressurized hydraulic fluid to the FEL valve block first, and then back to the 3 point hitch.

Note: If the FEL valve block is not on the tractor the directional valve on the tractor valve block HAS to be rotated fully counter-clockwise! Or the 3 pt hitch will not work and you can damage the hydraulics of the tractor! BTW there are 2 FELs available for the B2150, LA350 and LA350(A). My understanding is with the LA350(A) [What I have] the valve block stays on the tractor when the FEL is removed(True!). On the LA350 the valve block is removed with the FEL. Anyone with a LA350 who can confirm this?

Pics say a thous words so with the FEL installed, this is the tractor valve block;
There are no labels on the tractor valve block.
1 = Pressure (Power/Pump) to FEL valve block
2 = Return (Neutral/Tank) from FEL valve block
3 = Power Beyond in, return from FEL valve block.
DV = Directional valve
3PT = Three point hitch

1693925084703.png

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
One way that costs nothing - slow the pump down BY slowing the engine down - Test the raise/lower at idle and a little high idle and see if that will be slow and smooth enough to use.

Reactions: 2 users

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
Why don't ya run a couple of 2x6's like a ramp up to the roof & slide the panel's up . Their not very heavy . I wouldn't let anyone that's not familar with my tractor that close to my house . Or why not use his tractor ?
animals45

Reactions: 1 user

NorCalOrange

Equipment
Mar 24, 2019
Newcastle, Ca.
One way that costs nothing - slow the pump down BY slowing the engine down - Test the raise/lower at idle and a little high idle and see if that will be slow and smooth enough to use.

I wasnt sure how much lift/power is lost. The weight of the bucket and loader and 55 lbs of solar panel extended past the buck 0 inches at edge of bucket to another 44 inches past edge of bucket. I am making pallet forks to lift them.

Last edited:

NorCalOrange

Equipment
Mar 24, 2019
Newcastle, Ca.
Why don't ya run a couple of 2x6's like a ramp up to the roof & slide the panel's up . Their not very heavy . I wouldn't let anyone that's not familar with my tractor that close to my house . Or why not use his tractor ?
animals45
These panels are heavier than most at almost 55 lbs. He is older than I am and does not want to lift them in any way shape or form. I hear ya about using my tractor. We used his tractor for other projects. Have not used mine when sharing work on private road and clearing trees. And I hate, and do everything possible to avoid, borrowing other peoples tools and his Kubota tool is a very expensive tool.

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
I didn't say to lift the panels up on the roof , I said slide them up . Yer gonna have to lift them at some stage to get them in to & out of the bucket . What do ya have on the tractor 7 ' of lift ? Im pushin 70 & recently did some 330 watt panels .& have installed enough to know what they weigh , sure the 330's are 10 lbs lighter . I think yer over complicating things by getting a tractor involved , but's that's me
animals45

NorCalOrange

Equipment
Mar 24, 2019
Newcastle, Ca.
I didn't say to lift the panels up on the roof , I said slide them up . Yer gonna have to lift them at some stage to get them in to & out of the bucket . What do ya have on the tractor 7 ' of lift ? Im pushin 70 & recently did some 330 watt panels .& have installed enough to know what they weigh , sure the 330's are 10 lbs lighter . I think yer over complicating things by getting a tractor involved , but's that's me
animals45
I know what you meant. I have seen vids of people use trolley wheels with unitrac mounted on 2x6's and others make pully contraptions... Whatever works.

The ground to bucket pin, bottom of bucket, goes 104". I measured it. Then add the length and angle of the bucket with 4 ft long forks and its far more then the height of this roof. This roof sits very low due to having 3 ft eaves and the way it was built given the terrain and grading. One roof face where one string array is going is only 7 ft from ground. The actual roof tiles are 7 ft from the ground, very low. The other roof face is 8 1/2f ft.

These panels are physically larger and weigh more than yours. And its a 30 year old concrete tile roof so for one person to handle them is not a good idea. If the roof were shingle then less to worry about. But, If I had a friend more like you I then tractor would not be part of the conversation. My younger wife will be on the roof with me to install. The neighbor and I will load them onto the bucket/pallet forks I made then he can manage the tractor. I am very tempted to just do with the wife and myself. Easier for her if she does not have to go up and down the roof to load panels on tractor and install panels though.

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
I know what you meant. I have seen vids of people use trolley wheels with unitrac mounted on 2x6's and others make pully contraptions... Whatever works.

The ground to bucket pin, bottom of bucket, goes 104". I measured it. Then add the length and angle of the bucket with 4 ft long forks and its far more then the height of this roof. This roof sits very low due to having 3 ft eaves and the way it was built given the terrain and grading. One roof face where one string array is going is only 7 ft from ground. The actual roof tiles are 7 ft from the ground, very low. The other roof face is 8 1/2f ft.

These panels are physically larger and weigh more than yours. And its a 30 year old concrete tile roof so for one person to handle them is not a good idea. If the roof were shingle then less to worry about. But, If I had a friend more like you I then tractor would not be part of the conversation. My younger wife will be on the roof with me to install. The neighbor and I will load them onto the bucket/pallet forks I made then he can manage the tractor. I am very tempted to just do with the wife and myself. Easier for her if she does not have to go up and down the roof to load panels on tractor and install panels though.

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
Well good luck to you folks . I always lift them one at a time , sure that takes more time , but if something starts to go south it's only one panel thats in danger .
animals45

NorCalOrange

Equipment
Mar 24, 2019
Newcastle, Ca.
Well good luck to you folks . I always lift them one at a time , sure that takes more time , but if something starts to go south it's only one panel thats in danger .
animals45
Going to lift only one panel at a time. Im in no hurry and want the install to go safely.

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
Good idea , work smarter not harder . Does yer bride know that these panels will have to be cleaned off ?
Don't know what part of Ca yer in , but with a tile roof I reckon ya don't get much snow ?
animals45

Reactions: 1 user

NorCalOrange

Equipment
Mar 24, 2019
Newcastle, Ca.
Good idea , work smarter not harder . Does yer bride know that these panels will have to be cleaned off ?
Don't know what part of Ca yer in , but with a tile roof I reckon ya don't get much snow ?
animals45

Bride does not know, yet. One step at a time...

Near Auburn Ca. No snow. Been there, done that!

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
I'm up north outside of Graeagle , did @ 100 hrs on snow last year . Better get her learnin on that stuff .
Are you doin a off grid or sell back
animals45

NorCalOrange

Equipment
Mar 24, 2019
Newcastle, Ca.
I'm up north outside of Graeagle , did @ 100 hrs on snow last year . Better get her learnin on that stuff .
Are you doin a off grid or sell back
animals45
PGE NEM 2, grid tie sell back. Signed up just before NEM 3. Ride up to your hood a couple times a years. La Porte Rd is one of the best. And lunch at Frostees.

Here is where I got the idea of making pallet forks for the FEL. Did a few things different, more secure, but same concept.