B2150 running hot??

coxey2

Equipment
b2150
Jun 28, 2011
ky
Hi, I am a nubie and would like some info from you experts if you don't mind.
My B2150 with 2500 hours likes to run hot in the last 1/8" of the temp gauge when I mow. I run it about 16-1800rpms and use a woods 6ft finish mower. I had the radiator flushed and they said it was not bad. Tractor runs perfect in every way otherwise. Any ideas? I took the front loader off and it helped a little but not enough to suit me. Fan is good, belts tight...screens clean...It gradually heats up and will cool down if I let it idle for a few minutes. :confused:

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Hi, I am a nubie and would like some info from you experts if you don't mind.
My B2150 with 2500 hours likes to run hot in the last 1/8" of the temp gauge when I mow. I run it about 16-1800rpms and use a woods 6ft finish mower. I had the radiator flushed and they said it was not bad. Tractor runs perfect in every way otherwise. Any ideas? I took the front loader off and it helped a little but not enough to suit me. Fan is good, belts tight...screens clean...It gradually heats up and will cool down if I let it idle for a few minutes. :confused:
I think your B2150 is like my B1550 and has a reverse airflow fan. Nice idea but kinda dumb. It draws air in from the side panels and it is expelled out the front. It keeps the hot air away from the rider but taxes the cooling system a lot more. I am betting that your radiator core is cruddy on the inside enough to cause problems. You may want to increase your rpm's some to help in the cooling. I would run it 2000-2500 range and see if that helps. Otherwise a new radiator or a normal airflow fan.:)

coxey2

Equipment
b2150
Jun 28, 2011
ky
I think your B2150 is like my B1550 and has a reverse airflow fan. Nice idea but kinda dumb. It draws air in from the side panels and it is expelled out the front. It keeps the hot air away from the rider but taxes the cooling system a lot more. I am betting that your radiator core is cruddy on the inside enough to cause problems. You may want to increase your rpm's some to help in the cooling. I would run it 2000-2500 range and see if that helps. Otherwise a new radiator or a normal airflow fan.:)
Do they make the fan that directs air the opposite way?

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Do they make the fan that directs air the opposite way?
You would have to find a tractor with the same engine that has a normal flow fan and you could get one from parts and switch it. I have been going to do that for several years now but have not done it yet. I put so few hours on my machine that it has not been a problem.
One experiment I have done is when I run a standby generator I have run with the hood closed and then open and there is a significant difference in the temp the engine runs. Much cooler with the hood open as it allows the fan to draw air that has not been warmed by the engine first. I am sure that a normal fan would help your situation. May not cure it completely but would help.

Smoke-em

Equipment
1999 B2150 W/fel W/RC60-21B mid mower
Aug 12, 2010
Newport News VA
I had a simular problem with my 2150. After having cut 3 food plots mine was over heating. I opened the hood and looked inside and found that grass and pollen had formed against the inside of the radiator and was actually blocking the air from moving through it. Now I check that after each cutting and either blow it our with air or wash it out with the hose. The stuff inside was so compacted it felt and looked like cloth.

coxey2

Equipment
b2150
Jun 28, 2011
ky
I had a simular problem with my 2150. After having cut 3 food plots mine was over heating. I opened the hood and looked inside and found that grass and pollen had formed against the inside of the radiator and was actually blocking the air from moving through it. Now I check that after each cutting and either blow it our with air or wash it out with the hose. The stuff inside was so compacted it felt and looked like cloth.
Wish it were that senario. I had the radiator cleaned and flushed at a radiator shop. Is the mower too big at 6ft?

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Wish it were that senario. I had the radiator cleaned and flushed at a radiator shop. Is the mower too big at 6ft?
It may be a little big but I would sure rev it up some. I would try it at pto speed and see if that helps. These engines in my opinion are somewhat short on airflow because the fan is a little small hence you need to keep the revs up when it is under load.:D

Just another note. On my b1550 when I do put it under heavy load for an extended period it will heat up. The more I ruminate on this the more I believe that a normal flow fan would help a lot.

Last edited:

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Coxey2, on the woods mower there is one way to adjust them that I learned years ago. when setting blade cutting height it will cut easier and cleaner if the rear of the mower is set a slight bit higher than the front. that way the blade tips are doing the cutting on the front stroke but as it moves rearward it lifts the grass and pushes it out. as little as one half inch (1/2") front to rear will do the trick. this keeps the blade from trying to cut all the time and drag down. you will be surprised how much easier it will cut.

also make sure the blades are sharp!