B2150 clutch not completely disengaging

Caver50bmg

Dec 13, 2014
Columbia, SC
Ive got a B2150DT. Its a manual transmission. The issue ive got is it grinds going into gear. It also grinds when engaging the pto. The pto also does not stop when the clutch is depressed. So the clutch doesn't completely disengage. I've checked the linkage and adjusted it so it fully strokes to the mechanical stop.

I've read through some other posts about this same issue but haven't found a resolution. Just wonder if there was a way to troubleshoot root cause before taking it apart.

Thanks in advance and for having a great forum

Caver50bmg

Dec 13, 2014
Columbia, SC
It seems to me the pto clutch is stuck. Had the same issue on my allis wd45. I disengaged the pto clutch (which was stuck to the pressure plate) and did some heavy dirt work until it finally broke free. Been working good ever since.

Thinking this may work on the b2150. If i put the bush hog on, park over some heavy brush with it raised, push the clutch in then lower the bush hog that may unstick it. What do u think? Dumb idea?

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I suppose it might work. As long as you are careful and don't break something (or get hurt), sure beats splitting the tractor...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Caver50bmg suggestion to free a stuck clutch, " What do u think? Dumb idea?"

Very practical. I've done similar with stuck steering clutches on a Cat. Start out gently to give a chance to free up with as little energy as possible.

Next option is to separate the machine, so what do you have to lose?

Caver50bmg

Dec 13, 2014
Columbia, SC
Tried it today. Under heavy load i could stop the pto without stalling the engine. Looks like the clutch needs to be loosened up a bit. Any advise?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
No cover that can be removed to see whats going on in there? Maybe disc is stuck on shaft, keeping pressure on flywheel.

No internal adjustments?
Not familiar with this particular machine.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
How long did you let the clutch slip with the pto not turning? It takes a few minutes to polish the rust off the flywheel and pressure plate. Do it in short intervals so you don't overheat things.

Caver50bmg

Dec 13, 2014
Columbia, SC
Manybe a few seconds. I backed over a pretty big sapling. Push the clutch in and lowered the bush hog. The pto stopped spinning for a fee seconds. Did it a couple times.

I also tried something else. I chained the bush hog blade to the drawbar to prevent it from rotating. Then i locked the clutch down and tried to crank the engine. The engine turns over slow and didnt fire up. I was hoping to get it running and let it wear in a bit.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I would do the lowering of the bush hog with the clutch pushed in like you did before. See if you can get it to slip for more than a few seconds. I would try maybe 30 second intervals.

Caver50bmg

Dec 13, 2014
Columbia, SC
I found a suitable stump and lowered it. It slipped for about a min before it got hot and choked the engine down. I let it cool and tried again with the same result. Looks like theres no way around it. I need to adjust it. Any way to do it without splitting the tractor?

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
The direct adjustment is accessed through an oblong port on the bell housing about where the brake pedals are. May or may not have a rubber plug. The stock clutch stack has 3 adjustable fingers accessible through that port. You can see them come up every 120* as you rotate the engine. They look like a stud with (IIRC) a 7 mm hex on the end, and a locking nut right nearby. Loosen the nut and turn the stud clockwise to provide earlier/more lift for the second stage pressure plate. Again, IIRC, you make 1/4 turn adjustments, keeping all in sync, until release is achieved. I don't recall what the max is, perhaps when the stud can no longer be gripped? <shrug>

Oddly, I didn't realize till I got home, but my replacement stack lacks those adjustable studs (actually the bottom of the "bolt" protrudes), so no adjustment for me without splitting.

There is also a limit stop on the left side just below the clutch throw-out pivot rod. That controls the total range limit of the clutch throw-out pivot (and attached pedal). The service manual describes how to adjust that as well, but I don't have access to it at the moment, and don't recall the details. If nobody else answers and you think it may be useful, I'll look it up later.

Last edited:

Caver50bmg

Dec 13, 2014
Columbia, SC
Follow-up. I got the issue resolved. Here is how i did it. First remove the loader to assist with access. There is an access plug for the adjustment of the clutch on the right side near the brake pedal

Caver50bmg

Dec 13, 2014
Columbia, SC
To loosen the clutch, loosen the locking nut then tighten the adjustment scew in small increments. Be sure to do this the same amount on all three positions. Don't forget to tighten the lock nuts.

Caver50bmg

Dec 13, 2014
Columbia, SC
Just like magic no more grinding of the gears when going from neutral and the pto disengages when the clutch is depressed. Thanks gentlemen for the help. Hope this helps someone else in the future.