b21 won't stay running! HELP!

mvwood

Equipment
B21(sold) B26
Apr 7, 2011
Wallkill NY
Went to start it up after a couple of weeks and it cranks and runs but as soon as I let the key go it immediately shuts off. Anyone have any idea what to check?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Does it have fuel in it? Does it have a fuel leak? Bad fuel hose or something like that. Does it have water in the fuel? When was the last fuel filter change?

mvwood

Equipment
B21(sold) B26
Apr 7, 2011
Wallkill NY
I don't think it is a fuel problem because if I hold the key in the start position it will run fine. As soon as I release it to the run position it just shuts right down

SpudHauler

Equipment
RTV 1100 CW-A
Sep 8, 2010
Canada
Sounds like no power to the fuel shut off solenoid in run mode. Power to the solenoid allows the fuel to flow and when you turn your key off, it shuts fuel off to stop the engine. If the key switch is bad and no power to the shut off in run mode then the engine dies. Just a guess.

Last edited:

SpudHauler

Equipment
RTV 1100 CW-A
Sep 8, 2010
Canada
MVWOOD,
Just thought of a test. Try running 12 volt test wire direct from battery to fuel cut-off solenoid. Then try starting tractor. If it runs it is a power to the shut off problem. You will have to disconnect the 12 volt wire to get it to stop.

mvwood

Equipment
B21(sold) B26
Apr 7, 2011
Wallkill NY
hey there spud, I will try that. I noticed that there are three wires coming out of the solenoid( white, black, red) do you have any idea which I should try to connect to? I will try to trace them to find which is the ground so I can eliminate that one and I believe I traced the white one and it goes to a terminal on the starter? Does that sound correct?

SpudHauler

Equipment
RTV 1100 CW-A
Sep 8, 2010
Canada
Black is ground.
Red should be 12v.
White should be 12v from timer.

Check with a test light if the red and white have power with key turned in run mode and again with key in start mode. You may need an extra set of hands to help you. Power to the fuel shut off keeps your tractor running. No power, no run.

ametcalf

Equipment
BX23
Apr 9, 2011
Wilmore, KY
MVWood,
I know this doesn't help with your problem but I thought the timing of your problem and my similar problem was unique. I bought a 2004 BX23 this week and last night taught my twin 10 year old grand daughters how to drive it. They both had a problem in that when they would step on the HST pedal to go faster than a crawl the engine would quit. I was puzzled for a minute because in the little I had used the tractor this week I had not had a problem with it. It was then that I noticed they are so light in the seat that when they put more force on the pedal they got light enough in the seat for the kill switch to activate. Good luck on getting your problem solved.

Attachments

pete black

Equipment
l3240 finish mower disk box blade fel
Aug 21, 2010
tuscumbia, al.
Went to start it up after a couple of weeks and it cranks and runs but as soon as I let the key go it immediately shuts off. Anyone have any idea what to check?
operator presence control relay bad. had the same thing occur on a 3130. relay about $75 and is located on the dash behind the instrument panel. easy to replace.