b20 a good unit ?

toddtjs1@yahoo.com

Equipment
l 2350 dt
Apr 17, 2012
pittsford ny usa
looking at a b20, 1995 with 3 pt., and backhoe and fel, a good tractor ?, hydro with 700 hrs from orig. owners, used at there prop doing the usual homeowner things, anyway, a good model ? never had a hydro tractor, any advice on this model ?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yeah its a great tractor, both the B20 and B21 are kinda like the larger parent tractor the the popular BX23 and BX25 you see today. Kubota took the idea from the B20 and L35 and shrank it down and made the smaller models.

toddtjs1@yahoo.com

Equipment
l 2350 dt
Apr 17, 2012
pittsford ny usa
Yeah its a great tractor, both the B20 and B21 are kinda like the larger parent tractor the the popular BX23 and BX25 you see today. Kubota took the idea from the B20 and L35 and shrank it down and made the smaller models.
I'm looking at it in a week, already agreed on a price , have to take a ride to see it, I know its smaller than my l235 I had , about the size or larger than a b8200 ?, I looked at one of those but it was a well worn machine being passed off as a 450 hour machine !, the b20 is a 700 hour machine home owner bought new, a 95 for 11500 with a 3 pt. backhoe and bucket, looks nice in pics , and a hydro is new to me, I have a zero turn mower, but never a hydro tractor.decent value at 11500 if its as clean as it looks so far ?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I think you'll be happy with it if it turns out to be anything worth while. 11,5 sounds like a decent price too.

toddtjs1@yahoo.com

Equipment
l 2350 dt
Apr 17, 2012
pittsford ny usa
are there any weak areas to be aware of ?know prob. at any certain hours on machine ?,hydro's on these a good unit ?, thanks for the replies, any info would help, to me a lot of money to spend on a purchase if there are issues to worry about.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
That question is really hard to answer. No known defects or recalls from Kubota. Other then that it all depends on how the previous owner operated it and took care of it. Some jackwagons out here could break an anvil while others know how to treat and maintain equipment.

You could be landing a gold mine or a pile of junk that will be a helluva PIA to fix and correct and make it right.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Time flies! That tractor is almost 20 years old, but with 700 hours it is hardly used. Kubota is declaring a 30 year old tractor obsolete, so major parts could be a problem should you need them. It sounds like they want about half the price of a new TLB. It is hardly used, but the clock is ticking.
I've noticed several comments in the forum about the hour meter quitting on the older tractors. Around 700 hours seemed to be the magic number; my L185 quit at 789. Make sure the tach and hour meter are still working, or you really don't know when it quit, other than "at 700 hours", That could have been a decade ago.
I would be cautious. But, the tractor could be a real deal. Just because it is getting old does not mean it is going to die right away.

toddtjs1@yahoo.com

Equipment
l 2350 dt
Apr 17, 2012
pittsford ny usa
thanks for the info, never knew about the 30 year obsolete timeline, I believe he said the hours are orig and the meter does work, I asked that question because my L model I sold, it quit working after 900 and then after 3 hours with a new one ! I just gave up and used it and bagged the hour meter, when I sold it the buyer didn't care because the unit was in good shape and performed good. I must be getting old, I told my wife i'm either buying another Kubota or a street rod to work on, well the tractor is winning ! I actually miss not having one ! I just hope the b20 isn't too small after being used to a L.

toddtjs1@yahoo.com

Equipment
l 2350 dt
Apr 17, 2012
pittsford ny usa
looked at the b20, nice tight unit no play in any bushings, maybe a couple things, 1. throttle cable and control was hooked up on dash, he said ( he's 72 ),it was too hard reaching backward for him to adjust the throttle,2. paint is somewhat faded, and 3. right rear fender has a dent, runs good, fires right up, no smoke,nice tires, no leaks, lights work, a little noisey being a hydro but I guess its normal, and it does need a seat, a couple cracks in it. both buckets are nice, filters are dated when changed,decals all there,looks like a low use tractor 850 hours looks right for it.