B1750 Power Steering

kcoburn

Equipment
L5240HSTC & 2 B7610s
Mar 26, 2010
West Branch, Iowa
My neighbor has an old, well worn B1750. The steering was getting awfully sloppy and it was pushing hydraulic fluid up through the steering column. They decided to try to get it repaired. We don't have any dealers in the area that I'd be confident would repair it without putting more $$ in it than the tractor is worth. There's a former Deere mechanic who's left the dealer and is running a shop at his home not far from us. I suggested they give him a try. He has torn down the steering and replaced all the seals, etc that are still available, somewhere between $200 to 300 worth. It's reassembled and no longer pumping oil up the column, but there's no power assist. Wheels off the ground there seems to be nothing unusual about movement back and forth. Set her down and there's no power assist. He's tried bleeding the valve by turning it lock to lock several times.
Does anyone have any ideas where the problem lies? It was working when he tore it apart, just sloppy and pushing out more and more fluid up the column.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sadly if it worked before and now it doesn't, it would sound like he didn't build it right.

Sometimes all it takes is getting one part in wrong and they don't work. :(

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Lots of specific setting/test procedures, pressure settings, correct way spool to be fitted etc. noted in the service manual, perhaps he needs to revise what he did.