b1750 hst help

1960greentruck

Aug 7, 2014
somis,ca
i have a b1750 hst trans that is slipping. the loader and 3 pount work good but tractor has a hard time getting over small hills and curbs. i have changed trans fluid, filter, and strainer. that helped a little but not much. my questions are: where cani get a service manual and what else can i check before taking it to kubota.they quoted me $3000 on the phone if it needs a new trans. the tractor has 1900 hours and the engine runs good. thanks for the help sam

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Highly unlikely it's the HST unit, it's very likely that it's the clutch that's slipping.
One quick way to test if that is happening, hook up a PTO drive implement, if it stops spinning as the tractor quits moving it's got a bad clutch.

alchemysa

Equipment
B1550, backhoe, 4in1 bucket, rear mower.
Jul 1, 2010
Australia
I have a B1550 HST. Its almost identical. They are absolutely gutless in high range at the best of times. So you will probably need low range for everything except traveling on flat ground.

That said, you MUST make sure the HST metal mesh filter is clean. It can make a world of difference. Its located low on the left hand side, screwed into the side of the tranny case. It just looks like a bolt head, holding on the banjo fitting at the end of the pipe from the HST.

Get a free parts manual from here and study it... www.kubotabooks.com

Its an easy, free repair. Only problem is you might have to change the oil at the same time but there are ways around that too. Ask questions.

Edit: sorry I just noticed you changed the strainer so you may have covered what I said. But note there are two strainers. The one right is for the loader etc, not the HST

Last edited:

kjjehnzen

Equipment
B1750 HSD
Sep 11, 2009
mecosta michigan usa
Remove the cover over the hydraulic filter (it would be between your knees if you were on the tractor). With the tractor running you will clearly see the propeller shaft turning that powers the HST. If that shaft isn't turning, it's your clutch that ins't turning it.

Messicks may have a service manual in stock. I got one from my B1750 HST, it is worth every penny. I would suggest getting a large 3 ring binder to put it in also.

I would second the importance of a clean metal mesh strainer. Any resistance to flow there will bog down the HST; No power, lots of whine when under load, even the petal will fight back at being pushed.

Don't give up until you have enough power in high range to spin the rear tires on gravel.