B1700 wont charge battery

Woodchuck

Equipment
BN1700HSD
Oct 30, 2011
East Berne, NY
I have a B1700 Hydro. It won't charge the battery. I've installed a new rectifier and still nothing. The battery light doesn't come on when I turn the switch. All fuses and light bulbs are good. Any Ideas or a place where I could get a wiring diagram?

Thanks!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a B1700 Hydro. It won't charge the battery. I've installed a new rectifier and still nothing. The battery light doesn't come on when I turn the switch. All fuses and light bulbs are good. Any Ideas or a place where I could get a wiring diagram?

Thanks!
Without me having to look it up .....this have a dyno or alternator?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
It does have a dyno.
With Dyno......

find the two leads that come from the dyno......

unhook them at the location that has a bullet connections. Place you volt meter on AC .....AC....and start and run the engine.......even at low rpm, you should get an AC voltage.....rev it up, and the voltage should go up and up! Not sure what AC you will get, but at you get close to WOT it should get up to 20+, maybe 30 volts AC

report back your findings

Woodchuck

Equipment
BN1700HSD
Oct 30, 2011
East Berne, NY
I have 35vac coming from the dyno. 35vac on both sides of the plug (blue wires) on the rectifier. battery voltage, currently 11.5 vdc, on the red wire coming from the rectifier. battery light on the dash isn't on.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have 35vac coming from the dyno. 35vac on both sides of the plug (blue wires) on the rectifier. battery voltage, currently 11.5 vdc, on the red wire coming from the rectifier. battery light on the dash isn't on.
Excellent - 35 AC FROM the dyno TO the rectifier ....right???

11.5 probably will not start the ol girl.

Have you checked all wires.....grounds????? All those things? Double check all of that....

Woodchuck

Equipment
BN1700HSD
Oct 30, 2011
East Berne, NY
I've checked the wiring from the dash to the bottom of the fuel tank to where it disappears between the firewall and the fuel tank. Can't find anything suspicious. When the switch is on and the engine isn't running there is no voltage on either wire to the battery light. One wire, yellow with a red tracer goes from the light to the yellow wire on the rectifier. The other is black with grey dots on the insulation and goes into the wiring harness and disappears under the fuel tank. The only ground I've found is at the battery and where the rectifier mounts.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Take battery out and have it load tested. Maybe it's not taking a charge as well anymore?

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
As a possible alternative to coachgeo's post, if it doesn't suit you to go to the store to have your battery tested, you may be able to do some extra testing to get by. If you have another charged battery to jump from, remove the ground connection from your battery in the tractor and connect the negative jumper cable to this ground cable, doesn't matter if it hangs or sits on the tractor as it is ground, as long as it doesn't connect or touch the ground terminal on the tractor battery. Then place positive jumper between both batteries, then hook up the negative to the jumper battery. Now you have your tractor connected to the "known good" battery.
Check battery voltage with multimeter, then start and run tractor and check battery voltage again. Hopefully your battery voltage will see an increase. If it doesn't, then you still have a problem. If it does increase and start charging, it shows your tractor battery is in poor condition and your charging system cannot cope with it.

Most "alternators" use the charge lamp to self excite the alternator and if it is blown, the alternator does not charge.

However your "dynamo" is outputting 35 volts so is OK, (as previously mentioned by 85Hokie) and it's possible that your regulator needs either a B+ signal to work, either through a lamp/bulb circuit or direct from the start switch. So test to make sure you have 12V+ at the regulator when the key is on, engine not running, also that your regulator has a decent ground, not through paint etc. I would also expect to see 12V on the lamp circuit.
Remove the charge lamp and test across 12V to ensure it is good.
Also have a look for an inline fuse under the dash that feeds the charge lamp circuit, as IIRC, Kubota did that with a few of it's tractors.

How many terminals does the new regulator have, and what color wires go to each terminal. They should be numbered in the plug.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
This is a bit of a long shot but worth considering.

The wiring diagram on page 53 shows in the vicinity of the battery a fusible link.
I have a photo of a fusible link on a B21 which looks like the same style showing on the B1700 wiring diagram. I have drawn a red circle on the wiring diagram.

I have learned the hard way the Kubota wiring diagrams can be wrong so let me explain my thinking. The fusible link connects the battery to the rest of the tractor including the charging system. Looking at the wiring diagram, if the fusible link blows there should be no power to pull in the starter solenoid. However, if the fusible link is not connected exactly as shown, could there be a light gauge circuit which is being used to pull in the solenoid but as the charging system tries to send power to the battery, the blown fusible link stops it. The dynamo is putting out lots of AC volts, the regulator/ rectifier is new, Yet the battery voltage looks like a nearly dead battery at 11.5 volts.

Also if someone wired a extra circuit for radio, extra light, directly to the battery it could possibly be bypassing the fusible link's intended purpose and providing power for the starter solenoid.

The wiring diagram is not very clear so following circuits is too hard for me. What puzzles me because I don't know this model of tractor is the dynamo has two wires coming out, yet the regulator has many more wires.

With either of the two possible power to the solenoid suggestions, the one thing that does not work with my logic is getting power to the glow plugs.

I still think for the effort involved making certain the fusible link is Ok, not corroded or blown, would be prudent.

Dave M7040

Woodchuck

Equipment
BN1700HSD
Oct 30, 2011
East Berne, NY
I pulled the fuse link and it shut down so the use link is good. swapped the battery indicator bulb with known good bulbs so the bulb is good. There is no voltage on either side of the bulb socket. One wire from the bulb socket, yellow with a red tracer, goes to the yellow wire rectifier and has no voltage there either.

stevediers

Equipment
B1700, loader, backhoe, front blower
Nov 11, 2012
Deering NH USA
I pulled the fuse link and it shut down so the use link is good. swapped the battery indicator bulb with known good bulbs so the bulb is good. There is no voltage on either side of the bulb socket. One wire from the bulb socket, yellow with a red tracer, goes to the yellow wire rectifier and has no voltage there either.
Did you ever get this problem resolved? I have the same issues