B1630 Loader Cylinder Rebuild

ttj49

Equipment
B6100-DT
The front, right bucket cylinder is leaking on my B1630 loader, so I'm looking into rebuilding it my self. Seals, etc. I've never done this. Just wondering how much of a pain this is, and if it requires special tools. I've already located the seal kit at various places on line. If it's going to require special tools, and something that requires a lot of precision, then I most likely will take it to a shop. I do have a hydraulic repair company in St. Louis that rebuilds just about anything you bring them...so they say. Any thoughts? Anyone have experience rebuilding the rams? I'm okay with most mechanical stuff, welding, fabricating, etc....but no experience at all with hydraulics.... Thanks.

bmwmike

Equipment
B7100, 1640A loader, tiller, box blade, grader blade, carry all. John deere 455,
Jan 13, 2013
clarksville, Tn.
When I replaced the seals in my cylinders, Kubota wanted $80.00 for the seal kit per cylinder, I took the seals out and to a hydraulic supply store and the seals cost me $10.00 per cylinder. The hardest part was getting the retaining ring out of the cylinder. When you get it apart take pictures of the seal locations , or in my case I just took the other one apart and used it as a guide as to which seal went where. You might want to buy an extra retaining ring as I had to bend one out of shape to get it out. The only special tool you need is a good large snap ring plier.

mike

MadAmos

Equipment
B20
Dec 3, 2013
Atascadero CA
I just rebuilt the bucket curl (2) and the BH stabilizer (2) cylinders on my B20 yesterday, all four took 21/2 hours. I left the housings on the tractor to hold them while I threaded the heads off and on, just remember to break the hydraulic line loose to release the suction when pulling the rod/piston out, and again when pushing them back in.

The only hard parts were getting the piston nut loose, they were on with a thread locking compound and it took heat (I applied a propane torch for 15-20 seconds) and a 1/2" impact to get them free.

The new shaft seals inside the cylinder heads were a bit of a struggle but with care, and plenty of lube all were successfully installed. It helped to get the seal started in the groove on one side then I used rounder plastic rod to push/work them in place.

For what it is worth although this is my first cylinder rebuild I have worked the last 35 years as a mechanic the last 10 at a nuclear power plant on valves, pumps, and steam turbines. For me on a 1-10 scale the cylinder rebuilds were a 3, requiring a little patience and mostly simple tools.

Paul

ttj49

Equipment
B6100-DT
Thanks for all the good information from all above. I've been looking at the diagrams, etc to rebuild the cylinder myself, and looked over the entire loader for more issues. I need to replace several hoses as well. Valtech Hydraulics in St. Louis claims they can rebuild the cylinders for a decent price, and make the hoses. I think I'll just take it all to them and have it done. If I had a heated garage, I might try it, but if I mess up a seal, which I have been know to do on other projects, it will probably cost me more than having it done. Now that I know I have several hoses starting to split, I'll just have Valtech do it all and be done......and be ready to go to work this spring...........Thanks again.

http://www.valtechydraulics.com/

Last edited:

CJN8

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534 FEL, Gearmore Box Blade, Bush Hog, Cimmeron Rake
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego, CA
Post the final price for the service. It would be nice to know the going rates.

ttj49

Equipment
B6100-DT
Post the final price for the service. It would be nice to know the going rates.

A local small farm shop here in Southern Illinois rebuilt my two right FEL cylinders, and made 3 new hydraulic hoses for 170 bucks. Valtech in St. Louis wanted 150 to rebuild 1 cylinder. So look around for a small shop before having hydraulic work done. It's worth the effort.

BobK

Equipment
L3710 HST, 6' Bush Hog, Box Blade, LA681 Loader, WR Long Grapple Bucket.........
Apr 15, 2015
Caseyville, IL USA
ttj49,
Where did you get your work done? I am in Caseyville, IL and need some cylinder work done and some hoses made. Thanks in advance. Bob