B1550 hydraulic question.

B6000ME

Jul 23, 2018
manchester
I have a B1550 gear drive with power steering and a 1640A loader. I have owned this tractor for a few months and have been using it the last week or so to move quite a bit of gravel around my property. I have found by accident today that if I hold pressure on the steering wheel left or right while operating the loader I have are significantly more power and speed lifting or curling. I have always felt the tractor was a little underpowered when it was lifting or operating the bucket but with the steering wheel tension it has all the power I could ever want. Is this an inherent flaw in the system from new or is this something that needs to be attended to. I would love to have that much lifting capacity on a regular basis it without having to tension the steering wheel. Thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I looked at the WSM covering the 1550. Unfortunately, I cannot find any info on how the loader is integrated into the hydraulic system. Maybe you can expand on this

The flow I do see is from the main pump to a priority flow valve which reserves a set flow for the power steering before any other circuit such as the 3 pt hitch.

The pump has its own relief valve and then the steering system has a relief valve set lower than the main relief valve.

It would be prudent to invest less than $30 in a 0-3,000 psi pressure gauge to see what is going on. My concern is that by using your trick you may be bypassing a relief valve and risk doing serious damage.

Dave

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes you have a problem with piping or an internal valve in the priority valve or a pressure relief valve in the steering, one or more are causing pressure to bleed off through the system.

Engaging the steering would cause that portion of the system to stop flowing (it's an open system), thus driving up the flow to the loader circuit.

I'm leaning heavily to some issue with the priority valve.

But if it's also pulling in air from a leaking piping or connection that would also cause issues.