B1502

hampshireborn

Equipment
B7100 HST , B1502M,RK1100 rotovator, finishing mower,wessex trailer,DM topper
the header tank always empties out during use but the rad is always full of coolant whether the engine is hot or cold could this be head gasket? its fitted with a dynamo/siphon system not a waterpump/alternator. cant tell if it overheats as no temp guage....stupid Kubota not fitting one ...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would say all of us missed this earlier.
Always bump your posts if you don't get a reply, a lot of times it's because of the time difference, because the server will not keep it as a new post.

Can you please clarify "header tank" are you talking the top of the radiator?
If you are, yes you could have a head gasket problem.
Easy test fill the radiator and leaving cap off start the tractor and while running look in the radiator and look for bubbles.
Let us know what you find. ;)

hampshireborn

Equipment
B7100 HST , B1502M,RK1100 rotovator, finishing mower,wessex trailer,DM topper
Hi NIW
Thanks for getting back to me.header tank is the plastic bottle that feeds or overflows back into from the radiator..not sure what you call the bottle in the USA, I would have thought if the head gasket had gone it would have pushed the water out of the rad back into this bottle...there is no contamination in the oil or water

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
If you overfill the radiator, the bottle acts as a overflow tank. If it were mine, I would clean the radiator first, (debris from fins) then fill it with 50/50 antifreeze,(to not more than an inch over the tubes) start and run till it reaches operating temperature, then take an IR heat gun thermometer and start taking its temperature, to see if I could find any hot spots...:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hi NIW
Thanks for getting back to me.header tank is the plastic bottle that feeds or overflows back into from the radiator..not sure what you call the bottle in the USA, I would have thought if the head gasket had gone it would have pushed the water out of the rad back into this bottle...there is no contamination in the oil or water
Ok got you, we call that the overflow bottle.
With that issue it sounds like you have a leaking radiator more than a boil over, if the pressure builds it will and can force the water/antifreeze out a leak on the lower side or fins of the radiator. ;)