B series

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'm not sure if you fellas got my point. The L3800 will lift a lot more in real world use compared to the B3200 that I had, versus what the Kubota fliers would suggest. That was the point of my post. And yes the B series is all aluminum from the bell housing back. I can't understand why Kubota and Deere do this with so many of their compact tractors. I for one feel that aluminum has no place on a tractor unless its for mowing only. The L series is all cast iron and is almost 1000 lbs heavier than the B series.
I'm with you on the B and L debate. Even though the B 3200 has the same HP as my L 3000 does there is no way I would try to do the same work with the B series as I do with my L. I bet it's like night and day difference between a 3200 and your 3800.

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
I doubt you'd go wrong with a perkins motor. They've been building them for a long time! I used to have a '66 Ford TLB that had a 3cyl perkins, that thing was rode hard and put away wet many times. The motor ran pretty darn good, although it was just about due for a rebuild when I sold it. I only owned it for 3 years, and I'm sure the many previous owners beat the crap out of it, but it still kept a goin'.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
WJ, I have a friend that thinks Massey is the only tractor on the market. He has had very good service from the ones He's owned over the yrs. I think Perkins diesels are a proven power plant and are used in lots of different applications just like Kubotas engines are done. The Massey tractors have been fancied up quite a bit with the Cat Challenger line of machines. Take a Massey, add several thousand dollars of bells and whistles, a yellow and black paint job, then add another 10K to the bottom line and there you go. The Challenger line of machines and Massey are both produced by Agco. Just have to deside if the Cat logo is worth the extra money. The difference between them is only cosmetic. Quality, who really knows. I would guess and say they are probably like all the rest. Some are going to be just fine and every now and them a lemon will appear. Personal prefference will always rule in the end. I don't know of any company that produces every machine perfect all the time.

WayneJessie

Equipment
B2710HSD
Sep 28, 2009
Asheboro,NC USA
WJ, I have a friend that thinks Massey is the only tractor on the market. He has had very good service from the ones He's owned over the yrs. I think Perkins diesels are a proven power plant and are used in lots of different applications just like Kubotas engines are done. The Massey tractors have been fancied up quite a bit with the Cat Challenger line of machines. Take a Massey, add several thousand dollars of bells and whistles, a yellow and black paint job, then add another 10K to the bottom line and there you go. The Challenger line of machines and Massey are both produced by Agco. Just have to deside if the Cat logo is worth the extra money. The difference between them is only cosmetic. Quality, who really knows. I would guess and say they are probably like all the rest. Some are going to be just fine and every now and them a lemon will appear. Personal prefference will always rule in the end. I don't know of any company that produces every machine perfect all the time.
Yes, you are right. I've been a Kubota customer for a while and for the number of units they sell I am sure they are on par or better in terms of defects & design issues. My M6800 has been flawless so far. It's just on the light side for what I need. I can definitely say from my experience that it's better to go ahead and get a little more tractor than what you may think you need than to try to make do with a smaller unit.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I can definitely say from my experience that it's better to go ahead and get a little more tractor than what you may think you need than to try to make do with a smaller unit.
There's a lot of truth in that statement. It's not hard to throttle the HP back but I've never seen anybody that was able to stretch HP out.