Axle seal is no longer

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
Mowing, making good progress, i've used the B2400 more the last month than I have the last year.

Serviced it Memorial Day weekend, all looked good, nothing odd, changed HST filter, topped off the juice, change engine oil and tilt, blah blah blah.

Started mowing this AM, first thing I did was blow it out because of the dust storm I mowed last week. the usual dust caked in the usual places. removed the side covers and front to see how much cooler it might run, and preceded to mow.

All was well, until I caught the front edge of the hood on the kids swing, pulled th headlight lenses out, twisted the hood a bit, yeah, that was pretty brilliant, mowed past that for the last 5 years, never an issue....

picked up the pieces, handed them to wife, proceed on, pulled nose up under tree , backed out, like I have dozens of times, OH, HEY, Theres and OIL TRAIL.....back away from the trees and shut down.

inspect all and find that the left rear axle seal has popped out of the housing and is spinning with the axle shaft, oil pouring out....... hmmm. get it back up to the shed and shut it down, let it cool off. Come inside and look thru parts manual for what parts may be involved.

whats the likelihood of the outer housing extension cracking ?

with wheel raised off the ground I'm not feeling any up down play that may lead me to believe a bearing has fragged, but if the housing has cracked it would explain the seal popping out. I haven't had time to pull wheel and clean things up to check for a crack yet. I do have a dye chem kit I can ( and probably will ) use before I actually order parts.

outer bearing supported in extension housing, inner bearing supported in transaxle case, snap ring on inside end of axle holding bearing, gear, spacer between the 2 bearings, seal on outside end of case.

I supposed the seal could have been hit by a branch, or just fallen out, it is after all 18years old. and feces happens....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The fact that oil came out is a good sign, I'll bet the seal either got some back pressure and popped out or it just worked it's self loose over time.
It's not very common to crack the casting, especially if no bearings are bad. ;)

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
thats reassuring to hear. it is old, (18yrs and 1327hrs ) and I've noticed some of the other seals not looking so good, PTO shaft seal looks a bit on the aged side.

I'm pretty on top of fluids checking them every time I use it. and having just serviced it last week it was for sure full.

just glad I was able to catch the fluid when I did, if I wasn't backing up and mowing on a long row, it could have ended up much worse.

One question I do have, would I be out of line to make a plate to hold the seal in, there are 4 bolt holes in the end of the housing, it would be easy enough to do and not interfere with anything.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I wouldn't make a plate, it shouldn't need it, but I would check the cap if no vent order the vented cap. ;)

Last edited:

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
OUCH!
Not a good day on your Kubota!
When you decide to change the seal you may want to replace the other side seal as it has the same milage on it.

Ray

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
OUCH!
Not a good day on your Kubota!
When you decide to change the seal you may want to replace the other side seal as it has the same milage on it.

Ray
yeah, that was the plan, they're $8 and not that tough to get too, so it would be dumb not too. I suppose I should start taking inventory of externally visible seals and plan to replace them as I can.

Making a Messicks order here i a bit, have wait and see what the wife leaves me after grocery shopping. :rolleyes:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Kevin, I'd just replace what's in your way as you're working on something. Not to go in and replace all seals.

If it's broke fix it, if not DON"T.

18 years and 1327 hours is not OLD!

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
Have seen the seals pop out for no good reason on B's and BX's. Best thing to do is remove the seal, the sealing surface good, lube the seal riding surface, and use green loctite on the outer diameter of the seal. It will help it drive in easier, and also lock it in place so it shouldn't ever do that again. Only time I've seen a seal pop out with axle housing damage was on a B2620 with a backhoe

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
using a tractor trans fluid that is UDT compatible, been in there for 5 ish years, this is the first issue I've had. the original fluid was not known, could possibly have been UDT, but it seemed pretty dark ( UDT is fairly clear if I remember right )

I ordered seals for both sides, and both PTO shafts, being those are the lowest points on the trans, if they blow out or start leaking, ordered cap for rear PTO as well, it was $6, and I don't use the rear PTO at this time as it is, probably loose it sooner than later anyway, but hey...

and 18yrs is old by default of not being used heavily. I've run more fuel thru it since March than I had all last year. ago is taking it's toll, had to replace al the loader hoses a few weeks ago, the original 21x8x10's popped the day after that ( worn and dry rotted )

oh, and to add to the axle seal, 15min prior to that I ripped the headlight lens assay out of the hood, Saturday wasn't a great day.

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
Got the seals Wed, dug into it tonight after dinner, its cooler now than it will be tomorrow ( 95° expected over the weekend).

I almost ordered wedge bolts, glad I didn't, as this doesn't use what I thought it did, I guess having option to narrow or widen the wheel track you get wedge blocks and a thru bolt, and a locating pin. who knew.

The seal, rubber seems to have shrank causing it to loose friction and be worked out, much more effort to install new seal the remove old ( I had pushed it back in to make it back to the shed ) so age was certainly a factor.

I only replaced the one at this time so I could get tractor back up and running, I'lll do the others soon.
Mowed the back yard, all seems well at this time.

Glad I took the time tonight, one of the Olympia ice surfacers I service went down so I have to go take care of that in the AM, could take a lot of the day tomorrow. at least it'll nice and cool in there, and probably wet, lost the belts to the hydro pump, and the snow dump is full....sigh