attaching PTO shaft...does it have to be this hard?

Hillhigh Guy

Equipment
B2601, BH, RFM
Mar 18, 2018
Round Hill, VA
Hi, tractor newb and I have a new B2601. I run a 5' RFM and also have a backhoe so I disconnect and connect the PTO shaft a lot and man is it a b*tch! I must be doing something wrong. If I disconnect the shaft of the RFM and come back a few days later, it seems as though my PTO gear must have moved slightly as the yoke and drive don't line up anymore. Trying to spin the shaft with the cover on it is difficult. The gearbox on the RFM is pretty stiff. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

spacemanspiff

Equipment
M5-111
Dec 4, 2015
Lower ,AL
My tractor is much bigger, but I have no problem twisting the PTO on the tractor to align with the mower. You are turning the tractor off while messing with the PTO, right?

Sometimes it a pain to hook up equipment. I know of a guy that had a tractor for each implement he had. He really hated to change implements and had money to burn.

Last edited:

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
I agree it's almost like you need three hands when 2 are too many, I know people will disagree and say it's unsafe but what I did was remove the plastic cover on the shaft and yoke. With the engine shut off leave the pto in gear and try turning the gear box to align the 2 shafts, if the gear box is too stiff leave the gear box in neutral.

Hillhigh Guy

Equipment
B2601, BH, RFM
Mar 18, 2018
Round Hill, VA
Is PTO "off" = neutral? It doesn't turn by hand. I have been turning the PTO shaft by putting a bar in the u-joint of the shaft to rotate the mower gearbox...

jms

Equipment
MX5200, BX2660, ZD221
May 22, 2018
Zumbro Falls, MN
On my MX, if I turn the tractor off and turn the PTO switch to "on" then I am able very easily turn the PTO shaft on tractor by hand to line it up.

On my BX, I just switch the PTO selector to the MMM. Then I am able to turn the PTO shaft by hand.

Hillhigh Guy

Equipment
B2601, BH, RFM
Mar 18, 2018
Round Hill, VA
On my MX, if I turn the tractor off and turn the PTO switch to "on" then I am able very easily turn the PTO shaft on tractor by hand to line it up.

On my BX, I just switch the PTO selector to the MMM. Then I am able to turn the PTO shaft by hand.
Excellent info. I will try that this weekend. Big thanks to all!!

MrChuckles

Equipment
L3301, Land Pride Brush Hohg, Kubota Backhoe, FEL
Jul 25, 2017
Garfield, AR
I have one arm (amputee), a rotary cutter running on PTO off if a L3301. I had literal hell hooking up the PTO shaft. I broke down and bought this gadget.

https://tractorptolink.com/easy-power-take-off-adapter/#tops

I tried it and found it was nearly as hard to get the gadget to lock in place as it was to hook up the naked PTO couplers. In the end I left the gadget on the female end of the PTO and found it easier to attach. I think the reason is that it moves the connection further away from the back of the tractor, kind of like removing the guard. As a result, it is quite a bit easier to connect.

Prior to this I brushed it down with a wire brush and sprayed it with WD40 to ensure less friction. No joy. For me the trouble is always depressing the little pin while aligning the splines, while holding the drive shaft. It's still rough but better.

Utopia Texas

Equipment
Kubota B2650/Kubota L6060
Jun 14, 2017
Brookshire & Cat Spring, Texas
I have wondered over the years why the PTO couplers with the tiny spring loaded pin don’t have a large button on the end. They look like they were purposely designed to be a pain in the ass to depress.

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
I guess practice makes perfect. Been doing it for 20+ years and I never seem to have the trouble everyone else does. Rust, dirt and grim are your enemy. Keep everything clean and it makes a huge difference. The auger is the only thing I have trouble with but it’s due to infrequent use and the splines rusting up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Hi, tractor newb and I have a new B2601. I run a 5' RFM and also have a backhoe so I disconnect and connect the PTO shaft a lot and man is it a b*tch! I must be doing something wrong. If I disconnect the shaft of the RFM and come back a few days later, it seems as though my PTO gear must have moved slightly as the yoke and drive don't line up anymore. Trying to spin the shaft with the cover on it is difficult. The gearbox on the RFM is pretty stiff. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Do you store your implements outside? That might be part of your problem.

The PTO shaft will rotate a little side to side making it easier to align the splines.

If you are having a hard time sliding the yolk on/off the PTO shaft I.e. doesnt want to slide easily once the splines are aligned, then you need to clean everything thoroughly and lightly grease afterwards. Your pin lock is probably all bunged up.

I prefer the PTO yolk locks where there is a nice big collar you slide back. Cheapo PTO shafts arent worth the money.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have wondered over the years why the PTO couplers with the tiny spring loaded pin don’t have a large button on the end. They look like they were purposely designed to be a pain in the ass to depress.
My flail came with that kind, and pain in the thumb is more like it. I have found a lynch pin to depress it with, and that helps.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
My PTO shaft on my B3200 free spins when disengaged and the tractor powered off. Most of my issues come with the coupler on the attachment. It's stored outside and open to whatever the weather bring. I have a can of WD40 foaming lube that I carry and give the inside of the coupler a good shot and work the retention collar back and forth a few times making sure the balls move freely in that collar mechanism.

I'll hold the drive shaft collar up by the PTO shaft and rotate the PTO shaft till I feel the collar slip in a bit. At that point I will use both hands to pull the ring back and slide it home.

Not a perfect method, but I've found it works pretty well for me. My biggest issue is now with the telescoping PTO shaft getting it to move in and out freely.

msmcknight

Equipment
B2601
Oct 30, 2017
Statesville, NC, USA
I asked this same basic question a month or two ago. I'm also a tractor newbie with a B2601. Someone gave me this tip and it works perfectly. Here's hoping it helps you too...

On the B2601, put the PTO selector to the Front PTO position. This will disengage the rear PTO completely, allowing you to spin it freely by hand.

When connecting an attachment, connect the PTO shaft to the attachment first and then when you go to connect it to the tractor, you can spin the rear PTO easily to line-up the splines. Lock in the shaft and then move the PTO selector back to the rear PTO position.

Best of luck!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Did you try it with the tractor off?
On my dad's JD5065e, you have to shut the engine off to rotate the shaft. It will not turn while the engine is running.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'm always changing implements, I run a commercial hay operation so it's mowers, rakes, tedders, balers and so on and so forth, all the time. Best bet is keep the pto shaft well lubed and the cover on when not in use. Oil the attachment pto liberally (I use P Blaster myself), turn off the tractor and engage the pto (engine off) and it will turn easily. Don't forget to wear gloves, it's greasy back there....lol

I flip implements constantly.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My PTO shaft on my B3200 free spins when disengaged and the tractor powered off. Most of my issues come with the coupler on the attachment. It's stored outside and open to whatever the weather bring. I have a can of WD40 foaming lube that I carry and give the inside of the coupler a good shot and work the retention collar back and forth a few times making sure the balls move freely in that collar mechanism.

I'll hold the drive shaft collar up by the PTO shaft and rotate the PTO shaft till I feel the collar slip in a bit. At that point I will use both hands to pull the ring back and slide it home.

Not a perfect method, but I've found it works pretty well for me. My biggest issue is now with the telescoping PTO shaft getting it to move in and out freely.
Keep it greased, will slide just fine. I grease all my PTO universals and slide parts every 8 hours. Constant Velocity joints every 10 hours.

Hillhigh Guy

Equipment
B2601, BH, RFM
Mar 18, 2018
Round Hill, VA
Thanks everyone! You all are incredibly helpful and I'm glad I found the forum as it's really helping me learn about my new toy. Hoping to contribute more down the road!