Are tractor dealers like car dealers

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
Is it possible haggle the price on a new tractor like at car dealerships ? Or you pay the price the tractor list for

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Is it possible haggle the price on a new tractor like at car dealerships ? Or you pay the price the tractor list for
I would imagine that there is a little less wiggle room with the tractor dealer, even though the bigger the dealer the more room you might have - same as a huge car dealer.

BUT - I dont think you should ever pay list price, unless it is an old tractor (new) that has been marked down a hellva lot to make it move quickly.

My experience when I bought and I think other will chime in - take the price off the net - subtract something like 10-15% and you should be in the ballpark.

12% seems to be a "good" average - some dealers who have zero competition can charge more than other dealers who have several dealerships around them.

The best thing going is when you can get a little money off the top and then get 0% financing - sometimes you can get more off other equipment and still get all that extra at 0%

Kubota is gonna make money, some ways are more friendly than others!;)

You can always deal with the dealer ....worse they can say is no......and by all means, CASH talks and bullshyte walks!

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
saw this & thought...

does he mean as in negotiable?

or does he mean as in the would bend you over & stick one in you at first chance like a used car salesman?

then i realized it didnt matter because the answer is YES both ways. LMAO

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
You have to realize there are far less Kubota dealer than let's say Ford dealers. Supply and demand. Shop around. I typically get 3 bids. Smaller dealers seem to be more motivated. The 12% rule seems fair. With that said, if there are implements involved you will have more leverage. After the price is set then go for thrown in extras, such as 50 hours service, rear remotes, WSM, filled tires, or even apparel like hats. Ask for any regional rebates out there.
Dance the dance but remember they are playing the music. Good luck!

Last edited:

jabloomf1230

Equipment
B 3200
Sep 28, 2014
Voorheesville, NY
The "secret" is to hunt around at various dealers and find a new tractor from a previous model year that has been sitting around.

Other than that, as has been previously noted, there just aren't enough Kubota dealers in a given geographic area to allow for much haggling. They might knock off an extra couple of hundred dollars ( over the usual markdown from retail) to make the buyer feel good, but that's about it.

Scottly

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Jan 24, 2017
Southern Indiana
I bought my 2601 in October. I have two dealers nearby, 1- 20 miles to the east the other 20 miles to the west. There was $4000 difference between the two for the exact same setup.
I would say yes there is most definitely wiggle room.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Honestly I feel the internet price checks are a waste of time. People always post what they paid and Im just stunned. Another quote today for an L2501 HST, FEL, R4s $20,350. This is up from the same Dealer quote of 19,000 in August. Perhaps rebates and incentives come into play here?

The Kioti CK2610 is cash $16,999. Finance and it goes up to 17,500.

Massey 1726e $18,500 with wonky finance tables that when added up mean the machine is 22,000 even at %0.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I haggled quite a bit with my dealer. He told me he likes to make 10% over his cost, not telling me his cost however. His price was about 30% less than list. If you are buying new, build your tractor online and find who will give you the best price. All the rebates are listed on Kubota's website along with all financing options. If you are buying used go to Tractorhouse.com and do your shopping for comparable tractors there. Dealer phone numbers are there, shipping options are there. All the information you need to get your best deal.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My experience is Canadian and I will share a photo of my actual invoice for a new 2012 M7040 with deluxe cab and FEL for $40,000.

I was fortunate to find a small dealer who was interested in building a long term relationship with me. I was dealing directly with the owner and not a salesman.

Near the end of my search for a new tractor, I had been shopping at Kioti dealers as I thought that was all I could afford and have the larger size of tractor I need.

I soon learned my Kubota would be cheaper and I was amazed.

First, in Ontario Canada, if you are not a true, true farmer with a farm number issued by the Canadian government, all purchases including tractors, come with a sales tax of 13% which on $40,000 is $5,200.

However, if your pto, not engine power, is 60 hp or more, you are deemed a farmer and save the 13%.

I had been shopping at New Holland, John Deere and Kioti dealers and none of them mentioned this important fact to me.

So buying a bigger tractor can be cheaper if done intelligently and with the right knowledge.

Next the dealer/owner shared with me his Kubota rep's incentive program intended to help move tractors in the late fall. It was worth $1,500 and it would be my savings not the dealer's profit because he was totally honest with me.

He included a second rear remote valve and 5 litres of UDT oil.

Not only did he deliver the tractor to my place 25 minutes away, he agreed to not charge any travel time when I requested his mechanic come to my shop to service my tractor. I have since used this at home service for the two needed services and by slipping the mechanic a $20 each time, it was like a classroom session on how to care for my Kubota. His shop charge out rates are much lower than my GM dealer charges to work on my car so it is not like he had lots of financial room to play with.

It was my choice to have R4 industrial tires rather than the R1 radials on the tractor at his sales place. It was a reduction in cost of $1,500.

A hook was welded on my FEL bucket in the price.

If I brought him a USB stick I would leave with the pdf version of the WSM for the tractor and the FEL which are separate WSM's plus the pdf version of the owner's manual. I practically ran to a place where I could buy a USB stick so I could get back in case he changed his mind it seem too good to be true!

Dave M7040

kris77

Jun 9, 2016
CA
I called a local dealer. They were 14,600 for a 2370 with MMM and loader. Called another dealer, they were 14,200. Another was 13,800. I put them all up against each other and got the tractor for 13,200. Had to drive about 35 mins past the first dealer to get to this one, but it was worth it. I found one dealer an hour and a half away that was 13,000 and some change but it wasnt worth the drive time for $150. Cost me that much in gas to haul it back from there. Shop around. You'll find a good deal.